Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

(No?) CIWL interest

sncf231e

On 15/02/2022 at 11:04, sncf231e said:

It was indeed MARC Models. This kit does not seem to be made anymore. I made an overview of models in all gauges of the Night Ferry; it is attached to this post.

Regards

Fred

The Night Ferry sleeper modelled.pdf 826.83 kB · 69 downloads

MARC Models made the Night Ferry CIWL sleeping car kit at my behest when I was Editor of Model Rail and it was sold for a time as a Model Rail 'special'. MARC also produced the SNCF 'Forgon' for us (a rare European model in 4mm:1ft scale), and the distinctive SECR van with the raised cupola. I'm not sure any of these items are still available from MARC Models, or indeed if MARC is still functioning. (CJL)

• Informative/Useful 1

MARC Models owner I believe was suffering from Dementia or similar?. A lot of problems re orders etc etc as a result. I believe again, that the business was then closed down.

Strangely I looked a while ago and the Website was still active. No idea if anything can be obtained , I decided not to try any contact.

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, micklner said:

MARC Models owner I believe was suffering from Dementia or similar?. A lot of problems re orders etc etc as a result. I believe again, that the business was then closed down.

Strangely I looked a while ago and the Website was still active. No idea if anything can be obtained , I decided not to try any contact.

Yes, I believe that there was health issue which brought things to an end. I find that in this hobby websites often outlast the businesses. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was surprised to see no mention on RMWeb of Mr Andrew Martin's 2017 book (2018 pbk) Night trains : the rise and fall of the sleeper.  Started reading it after my beloved, who enjoyed it greatly, and Martin writes knowledgably about the social and technical side of C.I.W.L., in the guise of following the old trains' routes.  He also mentions Geo. Behrend as an authority.  Anyone else read it?  Enjoyed it?

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to clutter this thread with marginal material, but I see from the 'Man in Seat 61' 's web-site, the V.S.O.E. no longer starts from Calais Maritime, but Paris Gare de l'Est in 2024.  Bit unromantic, wot?!

• RMweb Gold
On 01/12/2023 at 13:54, C126 said:

I was surprised to see no mention on RMWeb of Mr Andrew Martin's 2017 book (2018 pbk) Night trains : the rise and fall of the sleeper.  Started reading it after my beloved, who enjoyed it greatly, and Martin writes knowledgably about the social and technical side of C.I.W.L., in the guise of following the old trains' routes.  He also mentions Geo. Behrend as an authority.  Anyone else read it?  Enjoyed it?

I read it too and thought it very good. Currently reading Graham Greene’s “Travels With My Aunt” in which the Orient Express is depicted as being a pretty rubbish experience circa 1969!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a video I made showing two versions, with very diffferent interior, of the same CIWL car made in o gauge by Elettren: A Côte d'Azur Pullman car and a Salon Car used in the Blue Train between Paris and the South. Three Côte d’Azur WP cars with numbers 4160, 4162 and 4164 were transformed in all blue Voiture Bar Salon for the Train Bleu.

Regards

Fred