Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

(No?) CIWL interest

sncf231e

The car on the left of your first picture is indeed a type Z. This was made previously by the small French company France Trains and the moulds were much later used by Jouef in their Prestige series.

A resource that shows many, if not all, CIWL cars in H0 is this Belgium website: https://traintamarre.tassignon.be/inventaire_H0/inventaire_H0_new1.php?type=CIWL

Regards

Fred

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, sncf231e said:

I am making videos with an overview of all metal CIWL cars. The first video is about the CIWL Pullman cars. The next will be the sleeping cars.

Regards

Fred

Fabulous video!  Makes it all very clear, especially what colours when.  Thank you.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Out of interest. has anyone bought a copy of this book? 

Yes, I have bought this book and found it very interesting (but I find everything CIWL interesting 😉).

The book gave me the idea to make the series of videos shown above.

Note that the book only covers the metal cars (from 1923 on) and not the teak cars, so it is not a complete history of CIWL stock like: "La Compagnie des Wagon-Lits – Histoire des véhicules ferroviaires de luxe ; Gerard Coudert, Maurice Knepper, Pierre-Yves Tousirrot ; Edition La Vie du Rail"  https://www.amazon.com/les-wagons-lits/dp/2915034974

Regards

Fred

Edited by sncf231e
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am rather too groggy from a cough/cold at the moment to interpret the Poll lists, but has the desire for C.I.W.L. models increased since the previous in the 2022 results?  Is there grounds for optimism?

• Friendly/supportive 1

I don’t know about comparison with last year, but they seem to be what naff DJs call “bubbling under”, just below the top ten. It’s even worse in Coarse-0, where one manufacturer constantly promises them, shows artwork, but never actually makes them, which is too much of a tease.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On December 9, 1922, now 100 years and a month ago, the Calais-Méditerranée Express ran for the first time with new blue sleeping cars. This train was soon called The Blue Train. In 1949 this also became the official name. To celebrate the centenary, I am showing images of Blue Train models from my collection. Soundtrack: Gerry Mulligan, "Over the Hill and Out of the Woods" from the album "The Age of Steam"

Regards

Fred

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

Given how many modellers will have Bulleid Merchant Navy and West Country/Battle of Britain locos in their collections, not to mention Lord Nelsons, King Arthurs, Schools, Britannias and even Class 72 ED locos, I cannot fathom why Hornby - particularly with the “big-engine/prestige-train” loving Simon Koehler making noises in the background - have not produced a 4mm Type F coach and associated fourgon vans; they have (for the most part) provided the necessary engines and surely must see that those purchasers who have bought them “out of era/area” would be likely to buy a few Night Ferry sleepers to allow them to run something appropriate behind aforementioned locos?! I mean, even T9s can get in on the action (double heading, that is!)

Steve S

PS

I voted for them for the Wish List Poll!!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Spellink mistayks
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We can but pray that the enthusiasm expressed in this thread persuades those able to manufacture such models that they will be guaranteed vast profits if they bring them out.  Amen.

• Like 2

On 15/02/2022 at 11:04, sncf231e said:

It was indeed MARC Models. This kit does not seem to be made anymore. I made an overview of models in all gauges of the Night Ferry; it is attached to this post.

Regards

Fred

The Night Ferry sleeper modelled.pdf 826.83 kB · 51 downloads

It was produced by MARC Models, at my request, as an exclusive for Model Rail magazine. It is an elaborate etched brass and cast metal kit but when well built it really is beautiful. I have one vehicle that was built for me. The kit was also offered as a ready-built item by MARC Models and when I checked a week or so ago, there was a rake of three on Ebay for £950. Kits for the SECR-style PMV with the cupola, and the two styles of French 'Fourgon' that came over with the sleeping cars in more recent years, were also offered. I have examples of those, too. (CJL)

Edited by VIA185
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Not sure if this photo has been seen before.   These are a rake of kit built  MARC models

Night Ferry coaches .... 

Comments , even interest in purchasing,  welcome ....

Apologies just seen I did publish this photo recently ...

_MG_2263 (2).JPG

Edited by Staffordshire
Added to text
  • Like 2

On 15/02/2022 at 12:04, sncf231e said:

It was indeed MARC Models. This kit does not seem to be made anymore. I made an overview of models in all gauges of the Night Ferry; it is attached to this post.

Regards

Fred

The overview was lost on RMWEB, so now I have put the overview on my website: http://sncf231e.nl/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/The-Night-Ferry-sleeper-modelled.pdf

Regards

Fred

Edited by sncf231e
  • Thanks 1

I would really like these in 00. I am surprised Hornby have not done them with the amount of locos available including their 71. As mentioned above though it shall come down to the fact it ran at night on a set route and not many people saw it. It counterpart the Golden Arrow on the other hand........

I do have a west country with the night ferry head board on in the cabinet ready for the day I'll be able to get some 00 ones. 

I do have a pair of 0 gauge  westdale kits which I did start and really keep thinking I must finish. The kit is not bad with resin ends around the aluminium body shell. You do have to source your own bogies to go with the kit. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Benjamin Brady said:

I do have a west country with the night ferry head board on in the cabinet ready for the day I'll be able to get some 00 ones. 

Looks like your opportunity is above; just contact @Staffordshire .  Look forward to seeing them in 'revenue earning service' on your layout.

• 1 month later...

The CIWL Stainless Steel, i.e. not blue, Type P (Pillepich) sleeping car is modelled in various scales by various makers. I am showing models by Fulgurex, LS Models, RivaRossi, ACME, Heris, VB, Kleinbahn and Pocher (and a toy version by INGAP)

Regards

Fred

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Of course the CIWL Pullman cars of type Côte d'Azur are the most luxurious but the Pullman Flèche d'Or cars in the original brown/cream livery are my favourite. Here you can see many models of this type of Pullman car in different sizes:

Regards

Fred

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...