Heljan Class 26 speaker upgrade advice required

billywhizz

Hi all. 
I’m looking to upgrade the speaker in a OO Heljan Class 26 from the small round type that came with the sound chip to something with a bit more “depth” to the sound. I don’t to start cutting into the chassis (or body) so needs to sit on the top of the chassis. The sound chip is a is a Legoman Biffo V3.5. 
be interested to see what other people have fitted? 
Cheers. 
Bill. 

Edited by billywhizz
Forgot to add scale

• 2 weeks later...

I did a Heljan 26 speaker swap recently, put the new one where the fuel tanks live (keeping the edges of the tanks for appearance).  But that had a v4 decoder, so speaker choice is much easier.     

But, as others have said, tracking down a half-decent 100-ohm speaker to match the v3.5 decoder will be the first challenge.    I agree with Richard, it may prove easier to experiment with a better enclosure around the existing speaker.  A mixture of plasticard and black-tack might create a better sound box.  

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, ColinK said:

I used the DC kits fuel tank and speaker on my 26 (and two 27s and a 33) and they all sound excellent.

As commented above, these will not work with a Loksound v3.5  (health warning - don't try this at home folks!)

They are a great upgrade for a v4 or v5 though!

Steve