Heljan Class 26 with headlights - OO

AY Mod

• Moderators

MODEL RAIL SCOTLAND 2022

NORTHERN LIGHTS! INVERNESS CLASS 26s SET TO SHINE IN OO GAUGE

2674.JPG

*O gauge model shown above.

HELJAN is introducing an all-new version of its popular OO gauge Class 26 to fill a significant gap in the fleet. In response to overwhelming public demand since the announcement of our new O gauge Class 26/1s with twin car-style headlights for working the Far North Lines, a new OO gauge model will also be released with twin car-style headlights, as fitted by Inverness depot for Far North Line operation in the early-1970s and retained until the mid-1980s.

The new models are the first stage of a complete revamp of our OO gauge Class 26/1 which will also include mechanical, detail, DCC and electronics upgrades to meet the expectations of modellers in the 2020s.

New features include separately switchable headlights, marker/tail lights, cab and engine room interior lights, a 21-pin DCC interface with easy access through a removable hatch in the roof, plug-and-play DCC sound capability and a wealth of new details to bring the model up to the latest standards.

The Inverness locomotives will be joined in due course by a wide range of upgraded Class 26/1s covering the entire BR career of the hugely popular BRCW Type 2s from the late-1950s through to withdrawal in 1993. An upgraded Class 26/0 variant is also planned and will follow later. Details of the other new Class 26/1s will be confirmed later this year.

The initial release will feature two models depicting locomotives in typical 1970s condition and a mid-1980s machine with Inverness depot ‘Highland Rail’ emblem. Both will also feature the early style circular radio pods fitted to Class 26s to improve communications when operating over the long and isolated Far North line routes from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh, Wick and Thurso.

#2625 BR Blue 26039 with twin headlights (full yellow ends)

#2626 BR Blue 26032 with twin headlights (Highland Rail stag emblems)

Class 26 with headlights front view.JPG

Contact your local HELJAN stockist to reserve your favourite versions now. As ever, all of these models will be produced in limited quantities and, based on the response to our O gauge Class 26 with twin headlights, demand is expected to be extremely strong for the OO models.

Look out for more updates soon, including some exciting announcements on all-new products, new versions of existing products and reruns of popular models that are not currently available.

IS Class 26 with headlights.JPG

• Like 4

Best announcement so far in 2022 as far as I'm concerned

Would be interesting to see if we see Heljan now offer provision for/and drop in EM/P4 wheelsets as it's now becoming a trend

@61661 , Ben , I hope the radiator grilles will be produced as nicely as the O gauge version and the centre cab window size is addressed from the original tooling :) , 

Edited by sulzer71

2 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Interesting. Looking at the spec, it would seem that, with Ben Jones on board, Heljan is looking at what other manufacturers are doing and upgrading its models to stay in the game. That’s very welcome.

Indeed , I was about to embark on major upgrades to all my current 26s but I think my focus will now switch to actually building the layout and looking forward to acquiring a fleet of nicely improved models

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SHerr said:

Aaaarrrggghhh! I’ve just finished this!

D8F9A637-055E-404A-B3FE-C78E531CFF71.jpeg.3b22e9afcaa4e1827806047bc2d1628b.jpeg

oh well I’m sure I will need some more!

Thats the thing now - with virtually any model from the last 20 years a new version is going to be an incremental improvement rather than instantly make the older version superfluous. Even more true where you added your own enhancements. I happily mix old and new together and look forward to the new 1960's version of the 26 :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Thats the thing now - with virtually any model from the last 20 years a new version is going to be an incremental improvement rather than instantly make the older version superfluous. Even more true where you added your own enhancements. I happily mix old and new together and look forward to the new 1960's version of the 26 :)

I now have to now make the decision of what to do with my stack of 26s , I've been collecting them over the last couple of years but still don't have a layout to run them on , I have also been accumulating a stack of parts for improving them such as etched grilles/laserglaze etc but now I'm thinking that much better versions are down the line so to speak so do I sell mine off and use the finances to actually crack on with the layout build and look forward to getting my hands on these eventually 

• RMweb Gold
Just now, sulzer71 said:

I now have to now make the decision of what to do with my stack of 26s , I've been collecting them over the last couple of years but still don't have a layout to run them on , I have also been accumulating a stack of parts for improving them such as etched grilles/laserglaze etc but now I'm thinking that much better versions are down the line so to speak so do I sell mine off and use the finances to actually crack on with the layout build and look forward to getting my hands on these eventually 

Depends purely on what brings you joy. Personally I'm getting a lot of relaxation from building up things from the spares box now so am only buying new where it really is a 'must have' and affordable. If you've got a stash of current 26's in store you know they are going to run beautifully, you have the parts to personalize them and they are of course already paid for :) Happy modelling

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Depends purely on what brings you joy. Personally I'm getting a lot of relaxation from building up things from the spares box now so am only buying new where it really is a 'must have' and affordable. If you've got a stash of current 26's in store you know they are going to run beautifully, you have the parts to personalize them and they are of course already paid for :) Happy modelling

The issue for me is that I have models in my collection that are a lot better than the current 26s I have (SLW 24s) and have other models on order that are also better , plus I am contemplating modelling either EM or P4  so that's another expense , the stack I have is currently waiting to go to a friend for all the upgrades as I've tried myself and I'm too ham fisted/cack handed so who knows when/if they will ever get done , the new generation of models we are seeing now are far much better than we have had before and if I'm honest I'm on the verge of a fleet cull anyway as I feel I've just become a collector and would probably never end up using the majority of what I own so ridding myself of say 10 older variants and replacing them with 3 or 4 new models wouldn't bother me if I'm honest

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 25/02/2022 at 12:54, sulzer71 said:

I would be switching to modelling other required stock items and waiting to see one of the new 26 models in the flesh, checking that it is an accurate scale model of one, reading reviews by credible sources etc before doing anything to dispose of/change current projects.

BeRTIe

• RMweb Premium

mmmmm …. I‘ve already got a 26 with car headlights, made from a standard Heljan one a few years ago.  I also fitted it with sound and the big speaker in the fuel tank produces very good 26 thrash.  Carefully weathered too.

On 25/02/2022 at 14:46, Chilly said:

Does anyone know why the Class 26038 on the NYMR appears to have more central lights and disc's in the middle than other Class 26's which appear more to the left of the front ?

Curious

Certain class 26's had there middle disc's moved to the vertical centre line, this predated the fitting of headlights. it's also worth noting that the headlights were not fitted until the about 75/76 just as the cl 24's were disappearing and some loco's never received them (eg 037)others ran a cyclops headlight (eg 021)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Alcanman,

Been trying to answer that question myself. I had a look on Flickr last night and it seems 26032 carried it for only a few months in 1985. Around May/June as far as I can ascertain.

https://flic.kr/p/fVPYzy

The above link (hope it works) shows 26032 and 26041 at Inverness in May 1985

PJ10

47 minutes ago, PJ10 said:

Evening Alcanman,

Been trying to answer that question myself. I had a look on Flickr last night and it seems 26032 carried it for only a few months in 1985. Around May/June as far as I can ascertain.

https://flic.kr/p/fVPYzy

The above link (hope it works) shows 26032 and 26041 at Inverness in May 1985

PJ10

Thanks for the info. I thought I had taken my photo of 26032 in the summer of 1985 but I guess it must have been 1984.

According to the Pip Dunn book "British Rail Mainline Specification Guide" Inverness converted the following to twin headlights in 1976, 26015/022/030/032/035/038/041/042/043/045 & 046, cyclops headlight to 26021/024/040/044.

Variations did occur particularly with regard to discs. 26015 being the odd one out as it was a lowland machine, oval buffers no plough brackets and the longer cantrail grills. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jools1959.

I believe that headlights were fitted to the Inverness 26s following the transfer of the Class 24s away from Inverness/withdrawal. So probably not but I'm sure there may be the odd photo showing examples together.

PJ10

Edited by PJ10
  • Agree 1