Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

DCC colour light signals? What accessory decoder?

Wotan

Hi

ive got some colour aspect signals I want to wire into the layout which is currently DCC. The points are DCC operated etc but I haven’t ventured to signals. 
so the question is what accessory decoder should I look for to kick off.

I currently have  1 ground signal, 2 x 3 way aspect that are separate and a mounted 2x 3 way with 2 call on signals. All are cr signals n gauge. Forgive my ignorance but just unsure how to go about this 

thanks in advance 

michael 

• RMweb Gold

I have used simple latching relays operated by Lenz LS150 accessory decoders, really because I had these items surplus after converting from solenoid to Tortoise point motors. 

But there are many bespoke signal decoders available. For example, have a look at what's available from Coastal DCC - https://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/accessory-decoders/signal/

• Thanks 1

On 27/02/2022 at 12:41, WIMorrison said:

You also need to buy a device that has the correct polarity for your signals. Many accessory decoders are common positive (IIRC) and I have come across some signals that are common negative.

I used LDT signal decoders with great success and can cope with both common positive and common negative signals. 

https://www.ldt-infocenter.com/shop/en/Decoder/Light-signal-decoder/

I used the NS ones with great success on a British Rail based system and before the BR decoder ones were released.

https://www.ldt-infocenter.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:ls-dec-ns

https://www.ldt-infocenter.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=en:ls-dec-br

Buy them in kit for or ready made. I had twenty six of the modules on my 4mm layout and highly recommend them. Works stand alone or part of an automated system as I did using RR&Co 

Edited by two tone green
  • Like 1

I also recommend Heathocte Electronics boards.

When you get a few in combination, they're really handy for automation of signalling.

You need a MAS-Sequencer as the "master", which comes with a timer on the board, so you can set it to change the light from red, through yellow. double-yellow to green automatically after X amount of seconds from the train passing.

If you add some (any number) IRDASC-4, the MAS-Sequencer will communicate with these and change the lights in the right combination.

Well worth the investment.

Start with a MAS-Sequencer to see how it works.

• RMweb Premium

If you are anyway into electronics you could build your own decoders for colour light signals

An Arduino Nano clone and a few other components is all you need.

Like two tone green I have built loads of various LDT (Littfinski Datentechnik) units, if you can do those you can build your own from scratch.

I use switch pilot for ultimate control via a relay and point position relays to determine route along with MERG dtc8 to prove tracks clear. 

This allows the HR (red to yellow relay) to become energised. HR up feeds back to the signal in rear to operate HHR( yellow to double yellow relay). HHR up feeds back to the rear to operate DR (double yellow to green relay)

Thanks so much for the replies , lots of info for which I’m really grateful, I basically just want to operate the signals out of a 3 platform terminus (Minories style) Independently and separate from the points to make it more interesting to operate. The LDT look good , just want to make it as simple as possible….

keep em coming though!

best 

michael 

The LDT units are very good and available as kits, ready built with and without case. 

You won’t be disappointed. 

I did a quick look at Digitrains and they have the NS version in stock. I used these for my two and three aspect signals plus other signalling aspects with great success. 

https://www.digitrains.co.uk/shop-by-brand/litfinski-daten-technik/ls-dec-ns-f.html

I can’t comment on the BR version as I have not used them but suspect they will be equally as good. 

• RMweb Premium

Another possibility is the Digikeijs DR4018 which has settings for various colour light systems.

It will need some user input to set up the right effects.

They also do common anode to common cathode adaptors DR4103

Instead of using CR Signals. You could have used TrainTech.

Give the signal an address, operate from your controller.

No need for anything else.

Or you can set the address to the same as a point, Point changes so does the signal.

There is the "Signalist" SC1 decoder from Harman, which covers most UK signalling arrangements.   I think from your count of signals you'd need two of them.   Coastal DCC stock them, and probably other suppliers.  

Don't know whether the CR signals have the appropriate "common" or not in their wiring (or if they are supplied with independent wiring, so you can create your own common). 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...