EM Gauge Conversions

Morning all

I was just wondering , as I'm tempted to dip my toe into modelling in EM I was just wondering if there's anywhere I could find the info on converting my loco's/stock without having to sign up to the EM Gauge Society?

Tia

Dave

27 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

A Google search will throw up plenty of threads, even some on here, P4 as well, which are the same in principle.

The EMGS have a YouTube channel for non members too.

If all else fails, ask on here, if I can do it anybody can!

Mike.

Cheers Mike , I'm mainly looking for guides on doing Bachmann Class 20s , the new Bachmann 24/1 and Heljan 26s + 27s plus the various coaches/wagons of which I need to compile a list of

Dave 

52 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Initially, nothing too frightening there, I have those running on Bachmann, Ultrascale and Gibson varieties of wheel conversions, so nothing a bit of kitchen table machanics can't sort.

Mike.

Is there much modifications needed to bogie frames/brake gear etc Mike?

• RMweb Premium

if you join the EMGS they have a long list of articles and other information available on CD or by paper on all things EM including many loco, carriage and Wagon,  modifications to EM.

I get regular updates to the above with the club magazine...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

Is there much modifications needed to bogie frames/brake gear etc Mike?

Sorry for the vague answer,  but it varies between manufacturers, rolling stock type and depends on which wheels you use.

Nothing too onerous, thinning down of brake pull rods/brake shoes/sideframes, a bit of realignment here and there, but basic modelling.

Spacer washers {available from the EMGS stores} come in handy, as do the various axles.

I would also echo joining the EMGS, if it's not the road you end up taking there's plenty of generic modelling to absorb.

Mike.

http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb189.html

https://www.themodelrailwayclub.org/class-20-conversion-to-em-with-gibson-wheels/

https://yeovilmrg.org/converting-the-kernowbachmann-4tc-to-em-gauge/

https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/lets-get-involved/converting-the-pfa-to-em-gauge-with-simon-howard-lets-get-involved

https://www.modelrailforum.com/threads/Bachmann-em-conversion.22221/

https://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=11998&forum_id=150

There's loads!

My experience is with P4 but I'm an EMGS member 

Converting coach and freight bogies is easy, just pop out the wheels and replace. Many EM modellers just alter the B/B to suit as the  profile is much the same. RTR wagons need to have solebars and W-irons thinned, but it just needs a bit of patience.

Converting dmus isn't too difficult, use Gibson or Branchlines wheelsets. Converting diesel locos is a little more difficult as converting dmus, but use Gibson or Ultrascale wheelsets. Doing steam engines is more of a challenge, but again Gibson and Ultrascale do a lot of wheels.

Best to join the EMGS, there's lots of destructions in the manual. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Both Alan Gibson and Ultra scale web site have instruction sheets. Ultra Scale has one for the Bachmann cl 20. Also as others have said join the EM gauge society. Have a look at the web site you can get membership that last for over a year by joining soon I seam to remember. 

Keith

Hi Sulzar,

I also suggest joining the EMGS. 

Also contact your local area group and try to attend some meetings.

You will get plenty of advise and help there.

The list of area groups and contacts are on the EMGS website and you may want to go before signing up.

The main reason people of all gauges join is the manual. It is quite comprehensive.

Have a look at some of my threads where I talk through some of my builds.

I am currently tackling a Hornby steam loco that is simpler than it looks.

Andy

• Agree 1

Also for background on conversions. The article in the current MRJ covering a conversion to a Hornby 08. Although this is to P4 it shows the way that an EM conversion would take place. My first conversion will be a Helijan class 33 one that is quoted as a simple undo screws take out wheels put in new wheels adjust pickups and do up screws.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I’d join the EM society if you’ve not modelled in that gauge before, or don’t have a circle of associates already doing so. Not only do you get the manual, but access to their stores which has a large amount of good quality products either specific to EM, or valuable in modelling in the gauge. 

As others have mentioned there are conversion guides in there for RTR. In principle D&E models are easier to convert than steam, but there’s no one size fits all. Costs of conversions can vary significantly too depending on the method chosen, varying from Ultrascale drop in sets on the 08’s,

https://albionyard.com/2016/04/12/Hornby-super-eight/

To having to set up quartering and outside cranks if using the cheaper Gibson conversion.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2022 at 06:44, sulzer71 said:

Morning all

I was just wondering , as I'm tempted to dip my toe into modelling in EM I was just wondering if there's anywhere I could find the info on converting my loco's/stock without having to sign up to the EM Gauge Society?

Tia

Dave

Dave, I'm wondering what has inspired your potential interest in EM.  If it is just the wider gauge then look no further but if you want finer scale wheels and better looking track with scale check rail and point rail gaps then look at P4.  D/E conversions are basically the same as for EM with usually no compensation required.  You will however have to build your own points, flexi track is available though.

Edited by Jeff Smith
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

Dave, I'm wondering what has inspired your potential interest in EM.  If it is just the wider gauge then look no further but if you want finer scale wheels and better looking track with scale check rail and point rail gaps then look at P4.  D/E conversions are basically the same as for EM with usually no compensation required.  You will however have to build your own points, flexi track is available though.

Jeff , it is purely that , I want better looking track , I had contemplated P4 but I'll be happy with EM

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jeff Smith said:

Remember the 80/20 rule Jeff.

P4 is far more "difficult" and less tolerant of the bodgery modellers can get away with in EM.

Mike.

• Like 1

On 04/03/2022 at 14:17, Enterprisingwestern said:

P4 is far more "difficult" and less tolerant of the bodgery modellers can get away with in EM.

Mike.

Having modelled in P4 and OO, which is effectively the same as EM if you build your stock and track, I can't agree that P4 is far more difficult. In fact I found it easier to build better running models but if you want a a large layout such as Little Bytham or Retford, the EM would be easier to produce.

• Agree 1

Putting aside the need for compensation on some vehicles and the larger radii required, P4 demands consistency in track standards and back to back.  I use the same Scalefour supplied gauges for all my P4 modelling.

On 04/03/2022 at 14:17, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

P4 is not "far more difficult" than OO or EM if you are building kits. It requires the same amount of care to get good running. It is more difficult than opening a box. I could nvever get OO vehilcles to stay on the track as I can't build them perfectly square, howver my P4 vehicles run perfectly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Having modelled in P4 and OO, which is effectively the same as EM if you build your stock and track, I can't agree that P4 is far more difficult. In fact I found it easier to build better running models but if you want a a large layout such as Little Bytham or Retford, the EM would be easier to produce.

So why would 'a large layout be easier to produce', if you 'can't agree the P4 is far more difficult'?

Those are conflicting statements. Fact is P4 DOES require more effort (even if not much) and that is why it takes longer to build a big layout, along with the stock required.

You have to compare apples to apples.  A large OO layout constructed with hand built points, kit or RTR -bashed wagons, coaches and locos would take almost as much effort as a similar sized P4 layout.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

You have to compare apples to apples.  A large OO layout constructed with hand built points, kit or RTR -bashed wagons, coaches and locos would take almost as much effort as a similar sized P4 layout.

I was following the topic of EM or P4, not OO or P4. Personally, I can't see any point of hand built track for OO - but others have a different point of view. Yes, I can see why a few special points could be worthwhile, but a whole large layouts worth - not for me!

I built an EM layout many years ago and I had no significant problems. Why did I choose EM over P4?

Because in my locality there was half a dozen EM layouts, I could ask questions about and have running rights exchanged.

At the same time there was no working P4 layouts, but some people who wanted to build one. But at the same time complaining that Studiolith had taken their money and the goods never showed. Studiolith, I imagine created a poor image for a long time. Yes I know the problem has long been fixed by the S4 Society and other suppliers.

I did once volunteer to build a OO double slip for my club, to replace an old Peco one that gave us nothing but trouble. But before I got beyond a basic start, Peco brought out their Code 75 version, which I decided was a better option than the Code 100 type. So that's what we did and eliminated the problem.

TL:DNR no contest!