RMweb

GWR Iron Mink

rapidoandy

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

The small company initials (SR), capacity marking, and number all bottom left are the style adopted by all four companies in 1936, so WWII seems a good bet? 

All About... has a photo, p. 45, of No. 11346, which, the caption states, was a GPV from Sept 1914 to June 1919 and again from Oct 1937 to an unknown date, possibly until condemned in 1957. The photo shows the livery used by Rapido, with the additional off-side brake fitted to this vehicle in May 1932.

The authors further note that some of these conversions, made from 1937 onwards, were loaned to the Southern, and refer to an official photo of 59061, which was presumably Rapido's reference. The photo of 11346 does not show the GPV lettering on the end; presumably 59061 had this.

A key feature of the GPV conversions was the removal of the ventilator hoods and plating over of the ventilators, which were perforated metal sheets.

Thanks.  I note that the GW versions (11346) state 'return to GWR not common user' on the right and since you've previously highlighted that the concept of common user didn't exist at the outbreak of WW I, it's unlikely to have been marked that way for it's spell as a GPV between Sept 1914 to June 1919.   I assume that there aren't any good photographs of these as converted to a GPV during WW I, which is the reason why Rapido don't seem to have made one for this period.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

These look very nice, dare I say, better than the other RTR alternative. However, I purchased 3 Morgan Design Iron Minks prior to the announcement so won't be dipping my toes in.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

My retailer has asked for my payment balance on these today and informed the four plank wagon will be following in the next two/three weeks.

Photos are now more readily available. Courtesy of Hatton's.

1703206943_RapidoV642condition.jpgB.jpg.b00b69a968589584dd4b6c0c1fbbc404.jpg

Edited by gwrrob
detail, detail. detail.
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all, 

A bit of help needed. 

Am I right in thinking that this is the early 'pre-grouping' livery......

MG_5054.jpg.5ea9dd16c8dded2b23d74118cad47415.jpg

This is the later 'pre-grouping' livery...25 inch letters. 

MG_5083.jpg.a032ec6d2f57e5092ff1d6f7a1a130de.jpg

And this is the early 'big four' livery....16 inch letters. 

MG_5086.jpg.b9b6fd982aaa59e0a0a004de205d614e.jpg

From a non GWR modeller..

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all, 

A bit of help needed. 

Am I right in thinking that this is the early 'pre-grouping' livery......

MG_5054.jpg.5ea9dd16c8dded2b23d74118cad47415.jpg

This is the later 'pre-grouping' livery...25 inch letters. 

MG_5083.jpg.a032ec6d2f57e5092ff1d6f7a1a130de.jpg

And this is the early 'big four' livery....16 inch letters. 

MG_5086.jpg.b9b6fd982aaa59e0a0a004de205d614e.jpg

From a non GWR modeller..

Rob. 

Rob,

The first photo is the pre 1904 livery, the second with the 25" lettering is from the period 1904 - 1919, whilst the 16" lettering was introduced 1919.  Strictly speaking, all are pre grouping!

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Craigw said:

Rob,

The first photo is the pre 1904 livery, the second with the 25" lettering is from the period 1904 - 1919, whilst the 16" lettering was introduced 1919.  Strictly speaking, all are pre grouping!

Regards,

Craig W

Thanks Craig and thank you all  for the "agrees". Most helpful, chaps. 

I want to pick up a couple for both my SE&CR project and my 1923-1929 GWR Project so it seems all will do for both of  those..

Rob. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, David Stannard said:

how does it compare to the Dapol/Rails version.

I'll do a proper side-by-side comparison later (my Rails Mink are boxed up atm) but I imagine the publicity photos of each will show the aesthetic differences between them well enough.

The Rapido roof is noticably finer, the underframe more detailed. These may or may not matter to you - neither struck me as dealbreakers. I'd be interested to hear from those who know more about the differences between the versions, as @Edwardian so usefully did for the Rails version.

There is a crucial difference between them though: it runs! Runs beautifully in fact, very free with its metal wheelset and bearings, and nicely weighted.

I had to replace the wheelset (to Gibson) to avoid a derailing issue, but the problem there is my track not the Rapido Mink; I may have to adjust the weighting to better match whitemetal wagons (about 70% of my GWR stock) although so far so good. These are both me problems, and don't detract at all from very favourable first impressions. 

Happy bunny so far, pre-order for the 4-planks stands.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, David Stannard said:

That does look great, how does it compare to the Dapol/Rails version.

Hi David. 

As with other Rapido wagons, they're excellent. 

Rapido Mink is streets ahead of the Dapol version. Yes, Rapido's offering will cost you more but you get what you pay for. 

They do seem a bit light but they are very free running. They'll soon tell where your track has a slight slope ! 

Happy customer. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Rapido Mink is streets ahead of the Dapol version. Yes, Rapido's offering will cost you more but you get what you pay for. 

Looking on the Rails site, Rapdio's one is the same price or cheaper than the Rails version, even with the current heavy discounting of the latter.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Looking on the Rails site, Rapdio's one is the same price or cheaper than the Rails version, even with the current heavy discounting of the latter.

It could be me but the Rails job looked "heavy". In comparison,  the Rapido version seems a lot "finer". 

Rob

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

It could be me but the Rails job looked "heavy". In comparison,  the Rapido version seems a lot "finer". 

It's not just you. The roof is most noticeable, one that could be a thin sheet of iron vs one that looks like 4" battleship armour plating. It was a brave attempt by Rails to try out, but for me, it didn't hit the mark in several areas. If I was in the market for one (or more), it would have to be the Rapido one. As it is, I need to break out the soldering iron and get on with my exquisite kits.