RMweb

Bachmann to launch MCC retail store in Leicestershire

Phil Parker

Just over a week ago, Andy and I were invited to a mystery tour run by Bachmann Europe.

Our bus dropped everyone off at the market town of Hinckley where they have opened the first Model Collect Create store - a retail arm for the firm.

Bachmann Europe's Managing Director, David Haarhaus, explained the aim is to, "Introduce the concept of a hobby to families and children who are not even aware that half of this stuff exists. Lockdown has provided a resurgence in interest in something other than a computer screen, and so we hope by opening a store, in an active market town, we are able to capture the imaginations of people who have no prior knowledge of what a rewarding activity actually physically making something can be."

Staff will be on hand to demonstrate modelling techniques and help customers who can even decide to build a kit they have just bought, on the premises. The aim is not to compete with existing model trade, prices will stick to official RRP, but to create a new type of experience. There will be no online or mail-order sales. David has long had a passion to support real-world model shops, partly stemming from his early career with the Beatties of London chain of shops. He tells us that the idea of opening a shop has been in his mind for a decade, only the pandemic stopping it from coming to fruition earlier.

Project Manager Jon Gibbs said “During the pandemic, we have seen a huge surge in interest for modelling products, with people revisiting past hobbies and having more time to spare. The aim of the store is to get people to put down their screens and create something amazing using the products on offer and expert advice on hand. This is a store for all members of the family to enjoy, with products for all ages and abilities. Within the store, there is a fantastic range of materials to support school projects and encourage creativity. We have a great team here who can’t wait to welcome visitors”.

The store looks impressive inside - especially if, like me, you are interested in lots of different types of modelling. While the railway range is deliberately limited, you'll find a great collection of plastic kits, and the biggest display of Woodland Scenics models I've ever seen.

Engaging people with practical hobbies has got to be a good idea. It works well for Games Workshop who host regular figure painting classes. Let's hope this concept succeeds and we see more MCC stores appearing around the country.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Well, good luck to them.   I used to drive the A47 through Hinckley fairly frequently, and it's not too far from me now.  I wasn't aware of some of the brands that come under the overall Bachmann range

I'm not sure that this idea will work for the modelling market though.   Whilst I would be happy to see a model shop, selling only one brand (and not even all of it!) is unlikely to entice me in.  If you have to catch a bus to get there, that's not going to help either !  Perhaps it will help sales of the toy end of the range and boost their overall sales, which can only be helpful towards the railway stuff.  If it's called MCC, I would expect to see them selling cricket bats! 

Time will tell whether or not it is a success, and I wish them well, but as they say is Scotland, I hae ma doots..

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I'm not sure that this idea will work for the modelling market though

As David said, it's not aimed at the modelling market, it's aimed at the general public and there are more of them. 

He also said that Bachmann is happy if someone goes in the shop, sees something, then orders it from elsewhere on their phone. After all, it's still a sale for Bachmann. 

57 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If you have to catch a bus to get there, that's not going to help either ! 

There is a car park nearby. The bus was just showmanship. 

59 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Perhaps it will help sales of the toy end of the range

Not sure a 3ft long model of The Hood is a toy. But even at full RRP, it looks like a bargain. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A great outward looking initiative, I hope it does really well.

It might also go some way to displacing the apparently widely held idea that "Hornby" is synonymous with model railways(?)

I appreciate it is much more than just model railways when I say that.

Anyway, really good to read of an organisation in Blighty doing something positive and new and on its own account.

Simon

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Brian Indge said:

Interesting the store is opposite a branch of AgeUK. Any relevance in this I wonder :)

Ouch ! But of course there is.Posting as one punter who regularly uses their excellent services to help him along. Seriously though this is a refreshing idea and one which when I’m driving again will send me scuttling down the “Treble 4” to explore. 

• Like 1

A welcome move but I doubt it will appeal to the general market. Most dads of my age are shocked at the prices in mainstream modelling shops - I doubt they'll be impressed by one that's charging RRP. Hinckley is not in the South East.

As for existing modellers, Signal Box at Ansty are very close by - they have a wide range, offer good discounts, offer second hand and also stock other brands. I'll continue to go there.

It is difficult to see how this will ever cover its costs unless they offer affordable stuff that's not easily available elsewhere, such as Bachmann US.

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, fezza said:

I doubt it will appeal to the general market

That's exactly who it will appeal to; the general public. It's not targeted at the price-hunting long-standing railway modeller but you won't see as good a range of Woodland Scenics in the vast majority of model railway shops and, generally, people buy that based on what they need or want rather than price.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

25 minutes ago, fezza said:

Most dads of my age are shocked at the prices in mainstream modelling shops - I doubt they'll be impressed by one that's charging RRP.

Yep, but to be fair, most dads your age are also shocked at the prices on petrol pumps, in electricity showrooms and supermarkets these days.  Postage stamps and council tax are going up this weekend too.

15 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's not targeted at the price-hunting long-standing railway modeller but you won't see as good a range of Woodland Scenics in the vast majority of model railway shops and, generally, people buy that based on what they need or want rather than price.

Fair comment, and I think that's why online is the only way to go if you want to sell stuff especially unusual goods aimed at very limited niche markets.  The traditional model shop had such a slow stock turnover rate that they couldn't afford the business rates payable on high street shops, let alone the higher interest rates that go with periods of increased inflation.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The traditional model shop had such a slow stock turnover rate that they couldn't afford the business rates payable on high street shops, let alone the higher interest rates that go with periods of increased inflation.

That's not cast in stone. My local, since opening about 8 years ago does nothing on the net outside of some eBay sales a few years ago, has doubled in size and holds at least four times the amount of stock and gas extended his catchment reach through local shows in areas where other shops have closed. RRP unless you're a local club-member. Good old-fashioned graft and business nouse.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

That's exactly who it will appeal to; the general public. It's not targeted at the price-hunting long-standing railway modeller but you won't see as good a range of Woodland Scenics in the vast majority of model railway shops and, generally, people buy that based on what they need or want rather than price.

The general public expect to pay about £50 for a train set - the price they pay at Asda at Christmas. They are going to get a big shock in this store.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I give in, can't reason with closed minds. Anyway, it's not for you or me to decide if it's a risk or not but at least I can see as wider picture than just the price ticket on a railway product.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Fair comment, and I think that's why online is the only way to go if you want to sell stuff especially unusual goods aimed at very limited niche markets.  The traditional model shop had such a slow stock turnover rate that they couldn't afford the business rates payable on high street shops, let alone the higher interest rates that go with periods of increased inflation.

And yet, the overall number of physical shops has increased slightly according to both Bachmann and UKModelshops. How can that be?

• Like 1

Personally I think the high st generally (not just model shops) has to change to offer an experience that the internet can’t - some stores have been going this way for a few years and seem to be surviving. I would suggest the better model shops have been doing the same thing for some time - shops that can offer advice, great customer service, viewing/testing before sale etc.  I think the days of “pile em high sell em cheap” physical shops will be replaced by internet only retail and separately shops that are an experience to visit. From what I’ve heard this venture sounds right on the money and I’m just sorry I’m at wrong end of country to be able to frequent. I am passing that way on hols though this year so will dump the kids for a few hours and take a look…

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

I am passing that way on hols though this year so will dump the kids for a few hours and take a look…

No need to dump the kids, this is a very child-friendly store. Scenic demos for the older kids, and a colouring table with crayons for the really young ones.

If you look at Games Workshop strores, those painting are pretty much always young. They get them hooked on the products early!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

No need to dump the kids, this is a very child-friendly store. Scenic demos for the older kids, and a colouring table with crayons for the really young ones.

If you look at Games Workshop strores, those painting are pretty much always young. They get them hooked on the products early!

Maybe but you haven’t met my kids :-).

actually in all seriousness that sounds really good as TBH most model

shops in my experience don’t really do much for kids with only a possible passing interest - when I visit any I usually have to leave sharpish because they are bored. Both my kids are creative and artistic (get that from their mum) so hands on activities will draw them in and keep them entertained. And help me to have time to spend money. And maybe them too…

• Like 3

I think this is where a general model shop scores over a railway-specific one. If they don't like trains, they might fancy a plastic kit, or a pine car racer or a boat or a plane. As someone who loves lots of different modelling disciplines, I miss Beatties which was a just a shop full of wonders (I've only just got a Tamiya car I coveted as a kid) and of course, tow of the people behind this enterprise have history with that store.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, pippindoo said:

I'm ex Beatties too

@Phil Parker will be in touch to see if you've got any rare carrier bags or point of sale material if he reads that. Pervert.

He's already started his MCC collection.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5