The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Renewing a Driving License Online (UK)

melmerby

2 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Strictly speaking you can't renew your Road Fund Licence at all, and haven't been able to since 1937 when the hypothecation of the revenue from vehicle excise duty was abolished (although the Road Fund itself survived - more as a Treasury accounting mechanism than anything else AFAICS - until 1955).

Even stricter speaking according to the DVLA website it's tax anyway, unless of course you can elaborate on that.

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I daresay you won't comprehend the arrogance of your testiculations but, for a moment, put yourself in the position of a motorcycle rider on a dark, wet night whose range of sight could be limited by an approaching Xenon- beamed vehicle. Your ridiculous stance will be of no comfort to that unseated rider.

I think you will find that LED headlights are worse in that respect & AFAIK LED headlamps do not have to be self-levelling wheras Xenon (used as a generic term for discharge lamps) have to be self levelling.

Edited by SamThomas

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, SamThomas said:

I think you will find that LED headlights are worse in that respect & AFAIK LED headlamps do not have to be self-levelling wheras Xenon (use ad a generic term for discharge lamps) have to be self levelling.

All headlamps over 2000 lumens must be self levelling, that was legislated years ago when HiD bulbs were being introduced.

edit: which is why the Fiesta when it came out with HiD lamps didn’t have self levelling (too expensive for the segment) because we chose a unique lower output HiD bulb.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, alastairq said:

I don't have glaucoma [my mother did]....but I still get free, annual tests [covid permitting]...as I mentioned further back....they're useful for early discovery of impending issues.

Regular eye tests of the free variety can also identify impending blood pressure issues too. Even if ,because they rarely display adverse symptoms..[on the contrary]...one's medical entourage haven't yet flagged it up..

Same here, it's an age thing.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

FWIW, my 70th Birthday renewal was due in February and I sent off my application in November; got everything back within a fortnight. Ditto a pal whose BD is in June and who sent his in 3 weeks ago.

In both cases, we still held paper licences so were getting our first photo card ones.

I'd guess the much reported backlog has been dealt with, at least for postal applications...

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, mezzoman253 said:

I did this online at 70, and it was very straightforward. My old licence was a green paper one, so I had to have a photo' for the new one. I think it used my passport photo'.

Looking at the info' on their website(below) for over 70's it says " You can change your photo' at the same time as renewing your licence".

That seems to suggest that you don't NEED to change it, which would rule out the passport bit. However the reality may be different.

I'll find out in about a years time.  Rob

1357493907_DVLA70RENEW.jpg.a81fb4f0e60f42f88c2eb5a07a3ae023.jpg

The relevant bit is that you only need a passport number if you want to change the licence photo.

If not, they'll just download the last one you submitted, which they will have on file.

I wouldn't bother about my appearance having changed, the existing one looks nothing like me anyhow, or rather, I hope I don't look like it!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The relevant bit is that you only need a passport number if you want to change the licence photo.

John

In that case why does say I must change my photo, not if I want to, when I apply online.

Also why can't I upload a new one? However they are prepared to accept the Passport Photo which may be 10 years or more old.

The one on the current license isn't that old!

• RMweb Gold
Just now, melmerby said:

In that case why does say I must change my photo, not if I want to, when I apply online.

Also why can't I upload a new one? However they are prepared to accept the Passport Photo which may be 10 years or more old.

The one on the current license isn't that old!

I think there are different pages of the on-line application depending whether you are or aren't changing the photo.

If you want to change the photo and don't have a passport (like me) or don't want them to use the one on file at the passport office, I suspect you will have to renew by post.

John

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

If you want to change the photo and don't have a passport (like me) or don't want them to use the one on file at the passport office, I suspect you will have to renew by post.

John

There is no want about it. It says the photo must be changed. 

It says so at the top of the paper application form  "You must submit a photo with your application" but they recommend doing it online.

So you attempt to do it online, there is nothing anywhere on the form to say you need a passport when doing it online until you get to that section, it then says you can skip that section it if you don't have a passport but when there is no passport it says my identity cannot be confirmed and the application goes no further.

You can upload photos to other government sites, so why not the DVLA?

The madness is that if I had a current but soon to expire passport the photo would be 10 years or more old.

The one on my current license is considerably less than that. (6 years)

Totally bonkers government twaddle and red tape.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

There is no want about it. It says the photo must be changed. 

It says so at the top of the paper application form  "You must submit a photo with your application" but they recommend doing it online.

So you attempt to do it online, there is nothing anywhere on the form to say you need a passport when doing it online until you get to that section, it then says you can skip that section it if you don't have a passport but when there is no passport it says my identity cannot be confirmed and the application goes no further.

You can upload photos to other government sites, so why not the DVLA?

The madness is that if I had a current but soon to expire passport the photo would be 10 years or more old.

The one on my current license is considerably less than that. (6 years)

Totally bonkers government twaddle and red tape.

If my experience with my 70-y-o renewal is anything to go by, I'd ignore the advice to do it on-line and buy a stamp!

You'll probably get your new one back in less time than it'll take to work out how to get the on-line option to do what you want (always supposing it actually can).

Historically, government department IT systems over-run by a decade, go over budget by a billion and don't work very well when they are delivered.

If I have the option, I avoid using them.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

When I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea the consultant at hospital said categorically not to use the DVLA website but to post  everything off in the good old fashioned way. His logic was that reporting it online would result in an immediate withdrawal of my licence by a "bot", whereas by post a human would eventually deal with it and actually read the consultant's information and decide I was OK to drive.

Pleased to say after about 4 months this was the case, even though I was at the time in hospital with other matters .....

• Friendly/supportive 3

Based on seeing this thread, I checked my licence, & found it expired in 1/4/22! Luckily I have no car at the moment (i'm doing an engine rebuild and awaiting a new cylinder head< so haven't been driving it).

I am 73, never had a passport - and never had trouble renewing the licence before. I also have diabetes and was diagnosed type 1 in 2000, being put on insulin. There has been some debate over the years about that, and in the last 2 years was told I was wrongly diagnosed  apparently I am type 2 and thus moved on to Metformin tablets. There was some issue whilst I was working, with the annual medical checks too, as LU don't like insulin dependency, but I survived all that. Yesterday I decided to walk to the local PO and get a form to fill in. Firstly, the rack was empty, but the lady behind the counter apologised, she hadn't put any out because she was too busy - so the 1st hurdle was passed.

I then looked at the form, and the enclosed 'help' leaflet. Wow, what a minefield. I eventually established that as my address hadn't changed, nor my name and other details, and I didn't want to change the photo, I could just fill the form in, and post it off. I was a little uncertain about 2 things though; 1) enclosing the old photocard licence (which I did anyway), 2) was I actually renewing for a medical reason (not really, so I ignored that, they can always ask me for more!).

Before I posted it off this morning, I tried online. I did the 70+ form, there was no mention of a photo or passport again, but it suddenly hit back at me, saying 'you  don't qualify for this application'. I tried that 3 times, and wondered if it was for a medical reason. So I tried the medical renewal form; I didn't get as far, on that one before getting the same message, but a walk to the postbox got round that. It is in their hands now.

They do make it complicated, I've never had problems before.

Stewart

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 11/04/2022 at 11:21, alastairq said:

Another reason for 'retaining' one's old licence is to ensure one has all the categories one is entitled to. Sometimes DVLA have been known to omit certain categories [for the hell of it, perhaps?]

I always photograph or scan anything I'm sending to the DVLA now, just to have proof, after an acquaintance had exactly that problem - their motorbike entitlement got dropped on renewal and they had no end of trouble getting it back because they didn't have proof of their test pass (which had been 20+ years previously)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/04/2022 at 11:21, alastairq said:

Another reason for 'retaining' one's old licence is to ensure one has all the categories one is entitled to. Sometimes DVLA have been known to omit certain categories [for the hell of it, perhaps?]

You don't keep all your entitlements when you reach 70, some you have to re-apply for at a cost.

(I'm not sure whether a test might be needed for some.

I lost agricultral engines (traction engines) and certain trailer classes, like a 12.5t lorry plus trailer, which were on mine as it was obtained in 1966 when you could drive virtually anything on a car license, including motorbikes as a provisional  (without any time limit), most got removed piecemeal.

My father didn't even need a test, he had a full Motorbike license from way back and it allowed you to move to a car.

37 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Based on seeing this thread, I checked my licence, & found it expired in 1/4/22! Luckily I have no car at the moment (i'm doing an engine rebuild and awaiting a new cylinder head< so haven't been driving it).

I am 73,

Stewart

Did you not get a reminder?

As you would've needed to re-new your license at 70, you should then get a re-application form sent every three years.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, melmerby said:

You don't keep all your entitlements when you reach 70, some you have to re-apply for at a cost.

(I'm not sure whether a test might be needed for some.

I lost agricultral engines (traction engines) and certain trailer classes, like a 12.5t lorry plus trailer, which were on mine as it was obtained in 1966 when you could drive virtually anything on a car license, including motorbikes as a provisional  (without any time limit), most got removed piecemeal.

My father didn't even need a test, he had a full Motorbike license from way back and it allowed you to move to a car.

Did you not get a reminder?

As you would've needed to re-new your license at 70, you should then get a re-application form sent every three years.

I didn't get a reminder this time, which is why I was glad I looked at this thread & by chance then checked my licence. But on previous occasions I have received reminders.

On 12/04/2022 at 09:52, Dunsignalling said:

.……Historically, government department IT systems over-run by a decade, go over budget by a billion and don't work very well when they are delivered.

Thankfully, despite the horror stories of various government IT systems being a disaster area, there are a number of systems we interface with, that are very simple and easy to use, taking very little time to carry out the task.

For example, renewing Car Tax, getting a code for the release of driver details (needed for hire and loan cars), checking up on National Insurance contributions and State Pension calculations, etc, etc.

All these work very well and could not be designed any better.

Most of the DVLA ones are in this category.

At the end of accessing these services, you have the option to “rate” the experience and provide feedback.

I always do this for these particular websites and in the comments, say how intuitive and user friendly it was, while also imploring them to not change anything, as it could only make the service worst.

You just know at some point, some career focussed t##t will want to make their mark, with a refresh and overhaul of the system and it ends up being spoiled and being more difficult or less user friendly.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
On 12/04/2022 at 13:27, Nick C said:

I always photograph or scan anything I'm sending to the DVLA now, just to have proof, after an acquaintance had exactly that problem - their motorbike entitlement got dropped on renewal and they had no end of trouble getting it back because they didn't have proof of their test pass (which had been 20+ years previously)

I've heard of others "losing" motorcycle groups on renewal at 70, but mine was OK. Whether I shall use it again remains to be seen.

I renewed by post because I had no means of uploading the paper photo and don't hold a current passport.

John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I eventually sent my application off by post after persuading my printer to produce a decent print of a newer photo.

It only took about a week to get the new license back..

• RMweb Gold
On 12/04/2022 at 09:52, Dunsignalling said:

If my experience with my 70-y-o renewal is anything to go by, I'd ignore the advice to do it on-line and buy a stamp!

You'll probably get your new one back in less time than it'll take to work out how to get the on-line option to do what you want (always supposing it actually can).

Historically, government department IT systems over-run by a decade, go over budget by a billion and don't work very well when they are delivered.

John

Most of them work well, as an example Self Assessment is now easy peeasy compared to the old paper methods. Not yet tried the DVLA version re the 70th renewal (first time this year for me)  but consensus above seems to be post is preferable so may well go with that option..

Edited by john new
Typo and bad grammar

I couldn't renew my driving licence online on reaching the age limit. 

I think the reason was because my old paper one didn't have a photo.

It strikes me as pointless bureaucracy to require me to submit a renewal form every few years on grounds of my advancing senility given that they don't actually repeat the eyesight and driving test I passed half a century ago.  Fortunately I can still understand hand signals given by a constable on point duty or by a horse and carriage and can double declutch.

On 12/04/2022 at 13:27, Nick C said:

I don't think they ever gave us a certificate that we'd passed.  The change from provisional to full licence was the only evidence I remember.  Somewhere I still have my original red booklet with my provisional licence issued by Northumberland County Council for seven and a tanner or thereabouts.

It's the benefits system that is notorious for losing paperwork.  A friend (a retired social worker who naturally had a lot of experience with DWP forms) always uses recorded delivery to be able to prove they got the form by the deadline when they claim never to have received it, otherwise they won't backdate payments for properly submitted applications that get lost due to inefficiency/incompetence.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, john new said:

Most of them work well, as an example Self Assessment is now easy peeasy compared to the old paper methods.

Self Assessment *used* to be easy peeasy compared to the paper forms. Now, those of us who don't have a passport or N.I. driver's license will apparently have to make paper returns (and phone up to ask for a paper form) - HMRC dropped the verification options they were using up to last year.

• Friendly/supportive 1