Greyscroft Mine - Cleveland Ironstone in 1955. EM gauge.

Worsdell forever

Eyup Paul

Great to see you at Hull at the weekend & the layout looks really good. Nice to see the water wheel working. :mosking:

Here are a few photos I took. I still don't really know what I'm doing with the camera, depth of field is all out but they look ok, I think?

post-19016-0-70277700-1415980817_thumb.jpg
post-19016-0-37821900-1415980859_thumb.jpg
post-19016-0-42524700-1415980885_thumb.jpg
post-19016-0-51789800-1415980911_thumb.jpg

Cheers mate.

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Morning, not done a great lot of modelling in the last few weeks but I have had a bit of a play with a Bachmann Pipe wagon. Converted to an unfitted version with unpainted planks. I also fitted 'LMS' buffers, still need to do a bit of work on the axleboxes then a bit of weathering.

post-7104-0-61783400-1419073103_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Those of you that were paying attention will remember that back in October I built this board behind the mine as replacement for one of the fiddleyard end boards and that it would be 'sceniced'. Well I've started tonight and the first job has been setting out the level crossing, this will be the access road to the mine. The gates are MSE whitemetal ones that I have had for many years that I knew would eventually get used! these are being modified to look a bit more North Eastern. Beside the gates there will be bicycle wicket gates, I'm building these from Ratio GWR station fencing which only needs a middle horizontal rail to make it North Eastern. I am using a drawing of the wicket in an NERA facsimile publication of NER Standards, full of useful drawings. The crossing box shown is only a place holder and there will be a small brick Central Division box there based on this one at Honey Pot Lane Crossing, Darlington, if that doesn't ooze character then nothing does!

post-7104-0-72780500-1422572396_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-79013700-1422572414_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-19028400-1422572425_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Tonight I've been working out the next part of the development of what has become known as Board 1A. The area behind the railway will have a farm on it, the basic structure has been taped together with masking tape to show where it will stand, it will eventually be covered with Slaters stone. I've also marked out the road, boundary wall and the yard but these aren't clear in the photo.

When I build the house it will have to be separate (it should be attached to the right hand end of the building) and at an angle, something like where the 24" steel ruler is.

post-7104-0-28156000-1422661908_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been a while since any work has been done here but in that time I have realised that the farm was much too big for this corner, a smaller example has now been found about half the size of the first and construction is well under way, the house is in the centre, there will be another, slightly smaller building to the right.

post-7104-0-27248000-1426290091_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Originally the house was to be in the middle with lower farm buildings to either side, looking at the plan on the baseboard this looked wrong, even though it is based on a real building. The house is now to the right and the stable and cart house to the left, looks much better.

post-7104-0-94410600-1426717905_thumb.jpg

Ah, got to own up to this one, they're Wills...

And why not Paul, if you can get a good looking component from the trade I'm all for using it, and they look good to me. Nice build altogether.

• RMweb Gold

I'd love to see you build a model of park house, the mine managers house at skelton park

I would have loved to have based the mine on Park pit, There's a lovely view if it from where my dad did a big building job over the valley in Upleatham, but the buildings didn't seem to fit well in the available space.

Real things don't often make for that convincing models, as they are - Its all down to how one sees things in different "scales" (for want of a better word!)

From my eerie up on this hill I can see the other side of the valley from "high up" - when I'm over there  on that side, it amazes me just how different buildings and their settings appear to be when one has a up close view .

It does look good as originally intended but on the layout the right hand end seemed hidden.

• RMweb Gold

I would have loved to have based the mine on Park pit, There's a lovely view if it from where my dad did a big building job over the valley in Upleatham, but the buildings didn't seem to fit well in the available space.

In the late 70s and early 80s my mate at school lived there,we used to have a great time exploring the buildings, at that time they were in a lot better condition than they are today. There was even a cast iron sand box on they old line out that still had sand in!

Your building is looking great,are you doing a shaft or drift mine?

Archived