Greyscroft Mine - Cleveland Ironstone in 1955. EM gauge.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold

Had a good session testing this morning, there were a couple of boards that were wired 'reversed' but these were soon sorted, a few rails needed adjusting at board joints but all in all I'm quite pleased with it all.

post-7104-0-49363000-1393162154_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-18138500-1393162137_thumb.jpg

And a short film of a trip round with the Q6.

• RMweb Gold

Spiffing! Will we see GM in it's amended form at York then Paul?

Yes, there's no going back now, where the short sector plate was has had a raised trackbed fitted to lift the track to the correct level. The cassette fiddleyard could be still fitted for testing purposes if necessary.

The loops and the adjacent boxes stacked up to look like a 60s built control tower remind me of a small marshalling yard :D

Keep taking the pills Mickey... :no:

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing this at Birtley.

John

So am I, it means afterwards I can have a break, been at it nearly solid since new year!

Further testing is now taking place, with trains attached, longer trains really do look better.

• RMweb Gold

Very successful testing session yesterday, all problems on the fiddleyard fixed (luckily there weren't many) and just a few small jobs to do on the front, these will be looked at next weekend. Back to finishing building wagons now.

post-7104-0-42397500-1393272248_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-93495600-1393272271_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-09065300-1393272236_thumb.jpg

So nice to run longer trains...

• RMweb Gold

I've spent the last week working on extra stock and this morning I put up most of the front of the layout to do a few jobs that I noted last Sunday.

The one that had be puzzled was a dead crossing on the turnout at the east end of the loop, it was running ok to begin with then stopped, it turned out that when I rewired the layout I missed the feeds to the switch on the point motor, the reason it was working early on turned out to be very simple, I was only running the Q6 which has pickups on loco and tender and is long enough to span the dead bit, the G5 and the Bachmann locos are of course much shorter and the tender locos don't have pickups on the tenders...

I took the oportunity to test the new stock for clearance through checkrails etc.

Hornby ex LMS CCT.

post-7104-0-84661900-1393695394_thumb.jpg

I realised last Sunday that I don't have any opens with sheets, I had a rummage and found one, now fitted to a Parkside High Steel.

post-7104-0-87548200-1393695406_thumb.jpg

Ironstone wagons 24T and 21T, repainted and lettered, I discovered an easy way of painting the black squares for the lettering, paint the black on larger than needed, when dry add the lettering, square the black up with body colour, it's easier getting square corners from the outside than the inside.

post-7104-0-12133300-1393695418_thumb.jpg

Skinningrove to Newport yard steel train, this is made up from a mixed bunch of bolsters, modified Bachmann, Parkside, Cambrian, Chivers and an unidentified whitemetal ex LNER (GNR?) double. Still lots of work to be done here!

post-7104-0-39001500-1393695426_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I've made a start tonight on sorting the signal wiring out, the servos have power to them and have been tested, they just need wiring back to the control panel, I have decided to start again with the wires from the panel to the boards as some of the signals have moved baseboard and adapting them would just lead to confusion. 

I am still slightly confused but I think I know what I need to do in the morning!

• RMweb Gold

Well, all the signals are working again, there were a few mixed up wires, pull the signal off with one switch and put it on with another! got that sorted easily enough.

I've been messing about with loads for the bolsters tonight and I wanted to represent this type of section, rolled at Skinningrove and used in shipbuilding, it took a while to find a pic of it and luckily, loaded on a bogie bolster!

I used strips of Evergreen plastic (marked as H0 1 x 10) with a length of 20thou rod glued to one edge. The load is hollow, built on a piece of 30thou with 3 blocks of plasticard to strengthen it. It's in primer at the moment, it will get a coat of gunmetal and then weathered and rusted with powders.

post-7104-0-63346800-1393799016_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-72661800-1393800198_thumb.jpg

They're called 'bulb' sections Paul. Though some other works rolled them, Skiiningrove developed a particular expertise in them and it was one reason why the BSC kept the rolling mills open when the works lost it's iron and steel making capacity.

They're called 'bulb' sections Paul. Though some other works rolled them, Skiiningrove developed a particular expertise in them and it was one reason why the BSC kept the rolling mills open when the works lost it's iron and steel making capacity.

I've actually served in a couple of ships built with Skinningrove rolled frames. Never thought to get a photo of the 'Skinningrove' markings on them though...

• RMweb Gold

No, there's so much that needs doing to them it's not viable for twenty of them, I'd be at it till 2024... 

I'd rather scratchbuild more LNER types.

• RMweb Gold

That's the word I was trying to think of! Thanks Arthur, knew you'd come up with the answer.  We had many years ago where I used to work a catalogue from Skinningrove, wish I knew what happened to it, there were some weird and wonderful shapes in it.

I seem to recall (think I read it in the Cliff Shepherd book) that they could roll up to 250 different profiles? looking at the rolls in the yard even in recent years as on Google maps there seems to be an abundance, would these be 'in use' and moved into the works when that profile was needed? They don't look simply dumped.

• RMweb Gold

More loads made and painted, had to stop as I've run out of materials... plenty of H and I section left but not much use really. There are 2 more bogie bolsters to fill and these will be loaded with the bulb section as and when I get some more plastic. I don't think I'll get chains on them for this weekend as there are other jobs to finish but hopefully by York the train will be something like finished.

post-7104-0-93205800-1393887366_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-68365100-1393887376_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-40439900-1393887388_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-23800000-1393887400_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-78961900-1393887410_thumb.jpg

That's the word I was trying to think of! Thanks Arthur, knew you'd come up with the answer.  We had many years ago where I used to work a catalogue from Skinningrove, wish I knew what happened to it, there were some weird and wonderful shapes in it.

I seem to recall (think I read it in the Cliff Shepherd book) that they could roll up to 250 different profiles? looking at the rolls in the yard even in recent years as on Google maps there seems to be an abundance, would these be 'in use' and moved into the works when that profile was needed? They don't look simply dumped.

Paul, I'm away from home until Tuesday, when I get back I'll post up some 'bulb' images from a section book or two. I haven't got one for Skinningrove, but it will give some ideas/variety.

Yes, these works would roll hundreds of different profiles; standards, specials and some to customer spec. There were minimum orders obviously, changing over rolls involves mill down time, and that cost has to be covered, and then you need to run the mill for a while on that section.

The rolls in the yard look to be in storage, there will be a roll turning shop where they can be re skimmed and used again until life expired and then they'll be scrapped.

Archived