Greyscroft Mine - Cleveland Ironstone in 1955. EM gauge.

Worsdell forever

Paul, I'm away from home until Tuesday, when I get back I'll post up some 'bulb' images from a section book or two. I haven't got one for Skinningrove, but it will give some ideas/variety.

Yes, these works would roll hundreds of different profiles; standards, specials and some to customer spec. There were minimum orders obviously, changing over rolls involves mill down time, and that cost has to be covered, and then you need to run the mill for a while on that section.

The rolls in the yard look to be in storage, there will be a roll turning shop where they can be re skimmed and used again until life expired and then they'll be scrapped.

I seem to remember Bulb Iron was used on a lot of coach underframes in Victorian times.....

• RMweb Gold

Had a good day at Birtley after a shaky start, the heat in the hall over night caused the fiddleyard track to expand and twist so 45 minutes this morning was spent cutting expansion joints and adding link wires. Running got better through the day and was quite smooth by closing tonight.

Every picture tells a story Paul,moral of the story never travel anywhere without your Xuron cutters.Also noted your emergency supply of what look like ex-GPO red rubber bands,very handy.

Personally I have an obsession with collecting these discarded rubber bands as you never know when you might need a rubber band and even better they're free.

• RMweb Gold

Back home after a good but initially challenging show, shattered!

Every picture tells a story Paul,moral of the story never travel anywhere without your Xuron cutters.Also noted your emergency supply of what look like ex-GPO red rubber bands,very handy.

Personally I have an obsession with collecting these discarded rubber bands as you never know when you might need a rubber band and even better they're free.

There was two Xuron cutters and two soldering irons at work, Mike and Mike did a fantastic job over the weekend, couldn't have done it without them.

A very enjoyable show, Paul.  The extra roundy of Greyscroft really makes a difference.  Well done, I voted for you (I had to, otherwise he might have come to Canal Road and jumped on 'me' compound)

Derek

Would never jump on a Compound, they are after all North Eastern engines...

• RMweb Gold

This morning I was looking at the list of jobs to do that I wrote at Birtley and it's almost as long as the one before I started the fiddleyard! They are smaller jobs luckily, on the last list was 'build fiddleyard', 'move crossover' and 'rewire'...

• RMweb Gold

The part of board 5 where the old fiddleyard was is now quite a large wasted space. The plan for this area is to run the railway into a cutting with an occupation bridge hiding the exit to the FY. The search was then on to find a suitable prototype and yesterday I had a drive around the Esk valley line. The problem with occupation bridges is they are generally on private land connecting one half of a farm to the other. There are however a few that there is access to.

This first one is near Battersby with no access so a long shot showing the top of the walls.

post-7104-0-76596700-1394958856_thumb.jpg

The next one is at Kildale, not really the type of arch I need but there is good access to it.

post-7104-0-05639200-1394958869_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-43428400-1394961023_thumb.jpg

A couple between Danby and Lealholm with no access so a couple of long shots.

post-7104-0-53468800-1394958879_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-00991000-1394958891_thumb.jpg

Finally one of the right type with very good access, there's a public footpath over it, at Underpark farm near Lealholm.

post-7104-0-24524700-1394958902_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-17463600-1394959033_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-29665000-1394959044_thumb.jpg

At this point, about 4.30, I was wondering when the next train from Whitby would be, a quick search on my phone showed it left Whitby at 4pm, further searching told me it takes 35 min to get to Lealholm, so, anytime now, and then it arrived...

post-7104-0-75402600-1394959055_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Had a good weekend at York over Easter, layout ran OK but we have identified where improvements could be made, the curved end boards are a bit too light and have warped a bit creating dips that cause light locos to slip and longer vehicles to derail. There is also part of the baseboard under the mine headshunt that is only supported on one side and so sags a bit.

At the end of the show all 26 ironstone wagons were gathered together for one last lap.

A few photos.

post-7104-0-17817200-1398455743_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-02500900-1398455754_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-65533500-1398455765_thumb.jpg

Thanks to 'Durham Light Infantry' for suggesting this viewpoint.

post-7104-0-92481300-1398455776_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived