Hornby Class 423 4-VEP

Adam1701D

Having had the idea last week that fitting point to point bearings with new appropriate wheelsets might end up cheaper than replacing the limby bogie with a replica chassis, it hit me that by replacing the wheels on the unpowered bogies throughout to point to point bearings, I would have several centre bearing wheelsets free to muck around with, and possibly fit onto the Limby bogie. Unfortunately my camera is indisposed, but I'll post pictures up later this week to show I modified mine - and guess what? I've achieved some rather good running with the modified portions of the unit thus far. Fingers crossed the whole unit behaves itself this sunday on a friend's rather larger layout.

A quick question, Folks.

Has anyone had experience of using / seeing the Southern Pride Emu cast ends and gangways ?.

Are they made to their own design ?, or do they supply MJT's ?.

Thanks, in advance.

Re :- Vent sizes.

Scallop type --- Prototype ---- Outer dome = 8 1/2" dia. / Inner dome = 6 1/2" dia. *

...."........".......Hornby 4-VEP......".......".....= 2mm. = 6".dia.

...."........".....Bachmann 4-CEP..."......".....= 2.6mm. = 8" dia.

* Source :- Keith Parkin's British Railways Mark 1 Coaches (Supplement)

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 1

The fact that the MJT ends are the same width as the Hornby body is quite interesting This means that either the Hornby VEP is actually too wide, or that the Lima Mk1 was too narrow - at one point I know what my money would have been on, but I'm not so sure now!

The HMRS BR Mk1 book quotes a width over sides of 9'0"

A quick question, Folks.

Has anyone had experience of using / seeing the Southern Pride Emu cast ends and gangways ?.

Are they made to their own design ?, or do they supply MJT's ?.

Thanks, in advance.

Modified MJT.

The HMRS BR Mk1 book quotes a width over sides of 9'0"

Which equates to 2743.2mm. Going back to page 40, and taking Ceptic's measurements up to full size, the MJT end scales at 2740mm, well within the margin of error. However, the Hornby VEP scales out at 2771mm, so about 0.4mm too wide in 4mm scale, but probably close enough, all things considered.

In answer to my previous post, I guess that the Lima Mk1's were a tad narrow!

Something l've been working on, the past few weeks.

Drawn, and brought up to date, using Google SketchUp. They're based on photos, drawings & notes made back in the '80s, when l did a stint of pattern making for MMP.

post-7009-0-62332000-1320936049_thumb.jpg

As you can, hopefully, make out there still many details to be added, but it does show the basic character.

Cheers

• Like 12

Drawn, and brought up to date, using Google SketchUp. They're based on photos, drawings & notes made back in the '80s, when l did a stint of pattern making for MMP.

As you can, hopefully, make out there still many details to be added, but it does show the basic character.

Cheers

that looks brilliant!!

wow i am impressed

Frank - would it be alright to use your drawings as a guide for a cad project (a possible 3D print)? I am looking at that with some admiration, it captures the unit's face accurately.

That's fine by me, Simon. Sounds good. :good:

Although SketchUp's programme enables 3D drawings, these were produced in 2D, and have lost a lot of the sharpness in the process of printing, scanning, re-sizing and posting on here.

l'll look to see if there is any way of posting the drawing direct to you via a PM.

That's fine by me, Simon. Sounds good. :good:

Although SketchUp's programme enables 3D drawings, these were produced in 2D, and have lost a lot of the sharpness in the process of printing, scanning, re-sizing and posting on here.

l'll look to see if there is any way of posting the drawing direct to you via a PM.

That is brilliant, thank you Frank. :drink_mini:

I won't pretend to be an expert in cadwork, but I have done some 3D models (listed in my blog) and to dare is to do, after all.

It'll make a nice change from the Industrial Saddletank models I have been working on most recently.

• Like 1

that looks brilliant!!

wow i am impressed

Thanks for the complement Uk_Steve.

Like l say, there's still a lot of detail to be added.... On the other hand, it might be better without it ?

• Like 1

I'm just wondering if a similar drawing could be done using the dimensions of the Hornby model and then superimposed on top of the drawing you have done to see just exactly where Hornby have got it wrong.. we then may have an argument to put to Mr Kohler and ask why Hornby didn't get the model right?

snapback.pngmetadyneman, on 10 November 2011 - 17:08 , said:

I'm just wondering if a similar drawing could be done using the dimensions of the Hornby model and then superimposed on top of the drawing you have done to see just exactly where Hornby have got it wrong.. we then may have an argument to put to Mr Kohler and ask why Hornby didn't get the model right?

l'm still onna slooow learning curve here, metadyneman, more used to ink on paper.

Plus, l'm still trying to put a montage together, using a head-on view / photo of the prototype (which l don't have / that's another story), my drawing and Hornby's effort.

lf successful, l'll get back to yous.

Cheers.

From memory they do not have the cast in buffer beam as you use the SP moulded parts.

Thanks, once again Mike T.

l originally,had the idea that they may have been a resin casting.

Cheers.

Cheers

Nice drawing.

A pity you don't/didn't work for Hornby Frank!

Colin

• Like 2

Nice drawing.

A pity you don't/didn't work for Hornby Frank!

Colin

Thanks for the praise, Colin,

lt's far easier to draw it, than it is to build from scratch, though.

Also, Margate's a long way on me bike, and l doubt, very much they'd put up with a grumpy ol' s0d, for very long.

Cheers, Frank ..Spokesmanperson for Rivet Counters Inc.

P.S.

l'm hoping to work through the S.R. & B.R.(S) Emus' / Demus' front ends, (Always, a favourite of mine) using SketchUp. Trouble is, l'm already part way into re-doing the Bulleid rebuilt 'Tavern' Kitchen Buffet's underframe, drawing a typical electric powered, S.R. M.P.D. Coaling crane, and trying to piece together enough info' to finish a Bournemouth West station project, this time, using SketchUp's 3D option.

So, folks, (and Hornby),.. don't hold your breath.

Edited by Ceptic

Just to say a very public, big thank you to Frank for his drawings. I will be having a go at making a 3D print sometime over the coming months. I'll post my cadwork on here as and when it gets done - if you'd all like to help me refine a front end, we may have something for everyone by the end!

My 4VEP is nearly done, chassis wise, and I have a sneaking suspicion it will run much better when complete. Watch this space.

• Like 1

Gentlemen - the murder (or facelift per say) is out. See what you think, and you tell me which you think looks more like a 4VEP:

post-1656-0-32890300-1320492749.jpg

Only trying it at one end for the moment. MJT end, suitably modified (the three separate panels malarky filed out and smoothed), with the MJT coupling fitted too, compared to the standard Hornby end.

Do you still have the left over Hornby bits? I was looking at a club members VEP at the weekend, and thought that it should be possible to cut the corridor door from the front, and mount it inside of a sanded down 'retracted' corridor, then put both into a rubber mould and produce a drop on replacement in resin - it dosn't fix the windows, but would seem to be a relatively quick win?

Jon