Hornby Class 423 4-VEP

Adam1701D

• RMweb Premium

I haven't decided yet whether to renumber the blue/grey example in the 30XX or 31XX series and affix NSE markings, or to keep it as the original.

Decided - I remember them fondly in my youth carrying 77xx and 78xx numbers, and having four first class compartments in every DTC.

Therefore, Hornby's supplied unit numbering won't be changed.

Good to see, thanks. What's the unit in Jaffa Cake livery that can be glimpsed for a few seconds? 

1500 is at the front, followed by another with hopper vents that I have not numbered (or finished) with a Replica bodied Jaffa MLV 9005 on an EPB chassis at the rear.  The CEP/CEP/MLV train crashed as soon as I stopped recording and I hastily made it to the controllers before the VEPs crashed into the carnage!

1500 is at the front, followed by another with hopper vents that I have not numbered (or finished) with a Replica bodied Jaffa MLV 9005 on an EPB chassis at the rear.  The CEP/CEP/MLV train crashed as soon as I stopped recording and I hastily made it to the controllers before the VEPs crashed into the carnage!

Thanks and I hope they weren't damaged, but what is the origin of the two x four car Jaffa units? Were they kits or did you re-paint existing 4CEPs?

Ran me VEP in and is really is a good runner Its just a shame the clip in wheels  provide as much drag as they do as it could be soo much better. But at least that can be pretty Easily rectified (using 5-BEL'S method).

UPSIDE - Slow speed really is very good and much more controllable and as a result the top end speed is more subdued.

DOWNSIDE  - It will run with them but it definitely doesn't match the original VEP models which are faster on acceleration and top end speed.

There is a plus side though it seems to almost perfectly match the Bachmann CEP'S on acceleration and top end speed that it comfortably ran in a CEP and MLV sandwich in both directions

Without any fuss using Kadee no19 NEM couplers on PECO code 75 track using a mixture of mainly large turnouts with a couple of mediums and 3 foot radius outer curves.

LOOKS  it strangely does look better in Blue/Grey. The shade of blue used is a bit on the darkside but I have other models which are about the same. the missing guard irons are annoying (TUT TUT) and they have missed the top  step on the bogie under the drivers access door GRRRRR. But the see through interiors do make a huge difference to me. I Just hope Hornby stick to their word about supplying replacements. The lack of curtains does make it looks somewhat empty but I've managed to find 2 pics of the unit on Flickr one undated at Wimbledon which clearly shows no curtains on Robert Caroll's excellent collection and another on John Oram's collection  looking nice and dirty with the date 27 Feb 1981.

Overall for the money I personally feel its a bargain. Not perfect but there's no way I could build a better VEP with the amount of freetime I don't have!

Edited by TRAILRAGE
  • Like 1

Hi,

Does anyone yet have any ideas about trying to re-create some semblance of the missing guards area on this new version VEP?

I'm thinking some scale etched mesh to resemble the parcels/luggage cage area.

Waiting for mine to arrive, but planning to cut out the extra (incorrect) seating from the refurbished VEP that is lurking in the guards area, but my memory is a bit hazy on what to replace it with. Seeing right through the guards area doesn't seem right to me, but I cant be sure on this.

TIA

John

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Does anyone yet have any ideas about trying to re-create some semblance of the missing guards area on this new version VEP?

I'm thinking some scale etched mesh to resemble the parcels/luggage cage area.

Waiting for mine to arrive, but planning to cut out the extra (incorrect) seating from the refurbished VEP that is lurking in the guards area, but my memory is a bit hazy on what to replace it with. Seeing right through the guards area doesn't seem right to me, but I cant be sure on this.

TIA

John

You could see right through for the most part.  The bit you couldn't see through, the solid interior wall of the guard's compartment, was retained after rebuild as it included access to some electrics and emergency equipment boxes.  In as-built form the remainder was simply a large open cage with a side gangway.  The gangway was on the opposite side to the guard's compartment meaning you walked past a sliding internal door to his cubicle if you walked through the train while he (or occasionally she) had to stand in the passenger gangway to perform station duties if the platform were on that side.

If a large unused cage troubles you then it's worth remembering that the emergency screw coupling was usually to be found in there (can be modelled lying on the floor or strapped to the lower bars of the cage at the gangway end) and they still carried a few parcels in early b/g days.  Prams and cycles were always in there.  I've not seen many models with those added.

Has anyone looked at the logistics of reversing the body on the frame for the DMBSO?  In other words swap it around to have the motor in the guards area?  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The cages had a widely spaced (about 7cms from memory) square mesh pattern.  Adding support to the structure were a few larger section corner posts which allowed for the fitting of sliding cage doors between the cage itself and the gangway to permit loading and unloading from either side.  The doors featured timbered perimeter frames and were lockable with a standard BR carriage key.  Right at the end the cage was angled inwards to permit the passenger walkway to also be angled at the coach end for access to the connecting gangway to the adjacent car.  The whole structure was painted a pale grey with bare wood floorboards IIRC.

From memory of my time working VEPs, the inside of the cage area would be pale grey, as seen in pic below (completely different kind of unit, but colour would appear to be the same):

http://preserved.railcar.co.uk/Images/110/52071-Int-2011-11-13-Chris-Moxon-h.jpg

BR(S) had a habit of painting the insides of driving cabs etc in a rather awful green colour but 99% sure the cage area was off-white/grey:

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/00001-g-burch-EMU-training-2L.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Correct.  Cab interiors matt pale green apparently as a neutral and non-reflective colour.  This extended to the vestibule area and the second man's position.   Pale grey for the guard's van area and cage.

Then if you want to be prototypical remember the emergency shoe paddle (to lift and secure current pick-up shoes in the raised position when units were dragged over non-electrified lines) was almost always to be seen stowed across the lower part of the second man's window.

Edited by Gwiwer

The paddle was almost universally used as a visual aid to anyone prepping the unit as to which handbrake was applied. If it was visible diagonally across the secondman's window, the handbrake was "on". The paddle could also be used as an aid to raising the buckeye if one lacked the neccesary strength or wasn't willing to get covered in grease...

was almost always to be seen stowed across the lower part of the second man's window.

That tended to indicate the universally understood message that "the handbrake on this end of the unit is applied". The paddle was inserted into the handbrake wheel so that it could be seen from the ground.............

The paddles (2 off) were normally stowed in clips on the rear wall of the cab.

and those on locos often bore the marks of numerous "ballast" cricket matches played on very boring renewals jobs............

EDIT: What Pete 75C said above....................

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 2

There was also, invariably, a moderately sized, folded sheaf of papers in front of the driver's window, usually red and then black and white, with some large print at the top and then smaller print and a picture, often of a lady, below. I do not know the BR number for these and never quite understood their purpose.

Discarded ones (presumably replaced by re-issues) could often be found on the floor of the brake van.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There was also, invariably, a moderately sized, folded sheaf of papers in front of the driver's window, usually red and then black and white, with some large print at the top and then smaller print and a picture, often of a lady, below. I do not know the BR number for these and never quite understood their purpose.

Discarded ones (presumably replaced by re-issues) could often be found on the floor of the brake van.

Railnews!! :)

Snip, edit......

BR(S) had a habit of painting the insides of driving cabs etc in a rather awful green colour but 99% sure the cage area was off-white/grey:

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/00001-g-burch-EMU-training-2L.jpg

The interior décor of that era's driving cabs always reminded me of that of the interior of a RAF's / FAA's single seater jet's cockpit..... More, or less, the same as the exterior, under-side camouflage colours worn by,both, the RAF and the FAA, since the 1940 Battle of Britain through to the the late '60s, early '70s........ 'Duck Egg Blue', I think they called it. 

• Like 2

The interior décor of that era's driving cabs always reminded me of that of the interior of a RAF's / FAA's single seater jet's cockpit..... More, or less, the same as the exterior, under-side camouflage colours worn by,both, the RAF and the FAA, since the 1940 Battle of Britain through to the the late '60s, early '70s........ 'Duck Egg Blue', I think they called it. 

Aha! I always wondered where BR got the paint from...

• RMweb Premium

So, I got another, good service from Kernow, good price, good model, better than I could make from a kit..just need to get some more track down and do some soldering then I can give one a good thrash. Thank you Hornby.

Did any notice that they have used the interior of the refurbished VEP on the MBSO for the blue grey version, while the all blue version has the correct interior?

You can see the back of the seats in the middle of the Gaurds/parcels part.

post-15098-0-99107500-1425679535_thumb.jpg

Yes, that's been noted. Having bought a blue grey VEP not at full price but certainly more than Kernow are doing them for, I couldn't resist another for just 99 notes. Having pondered what to do with it, it has tonight donated it's DTCL interiors to my first release blue one (as I very much doubt that due to the Sanda Kan debacle we'll be seeing any spare interiors anytime soon). I'll now concentrate on modifying the interiors that I've recovered for the blue one to sort the corridor issue as well as removing the erroneous bit of interior from the guards van. 

Re the Hornby numbering, what's the best way to remove it - does T-Cut or white spirit on a cotton bud do the trick?   

T-Cut on a cotton bud worked a treat removing the numbers from a Hornby Class 101 DMU, assuming the paint finish and numbering application is similar across the Hornby range.

Just spent half an hour messing around with one of the DTCL's.  Numbers have been removed and replaced with 3130 - saves renumbering the sides!  Tis was done by gently scratching them off and then a burnishing pen was used to smooth off any remains.  I have also fitted a Heljan pair of double white blanks.  This time I have used a pencil to dirty a few areas.  Not sure i'm convinced by it but being pencil, it can be easily removed.

post-1105-0-73852200-1425731053_thumb.jpg

post-1105-0-76946100-1425731062_thumb.jpg

post-1105-0-55222000-1425731072_thumb.jpg 

Must remember to glue the windscreen wipers back on!

Edited by kintbury jon
  • Like 6