Hornby Class 423 4-VEP

Adam1701D

• RMweb Premium

Or even a link to the eBay store please?

Hi, it was a private seller not a business seller so I would suspect they just had that one, seem to be plenty available from other sellers though.

Dale

Edited by dale159

Hi, it was a private seller not a business seller so I would suspect they just had that one, seem to be plenty available from other sellers though.

Dale

Ah I see; it was because you said about getting another I thought it was a shop.

Thanks anyway :)

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if there are longer snooker bat cases, to get a Brighton Belle in?

I think 48 inches is the longest type, I'm not sure how long a Brighton Belle is as I don't own one

Dale

Edited by dale159

Here are a couple of sights I found by typing "pool cue case" into my search engine

One is in OZ here another is here , this one shows one that is Outside measurements 151CM(59in) x 23 x 6 CM  which could hold 3 to 5, 5 car trains

5 Brighton Belle​ coaches at about 10" long  = about 50"

John

• RMweb Gold

Here are a couple of sights I found by typing "pool cue case" into my search engine

One is in OZ here another is here , this one shows one that is Outside measurements 151CM(59in) x 23 x 6 CM which could hold 3 to 5, 5 car trains

5 Brighton Belle​ coaches at about 10" long = about 50"

John

Will still fit, but Hornby Belle coaches are more like 11" long. The prototype were 67' each.

I'm sticking with my train safe travel.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Will still fit, but Hornby Belle coaches are more like 11" long. The prototype were 67' each.

I'm sticking with my train safe travel.

Roy

Roy

I got off my ass went down stairs and measured one & you're right they are 11" long, my previous statement regarding their length was a guess.

John

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone tried using a VEP as the basis for a CIG conversion? I have a spare VEP and a set of Dart Castings sides, and was just wondering if this was feasible. As I understand, the bogies and underframe are very similar, if not identical.

Has anyone tried using a VEP as the basis for a CIG conversion? I have a spare VEP and a set of Dart Castings sides, and was just wondering if this was feasible. As I understand, the bogies and underframe are very similar, if not identical.

I'm fairly sure someone on this forum did so. It would certainly form a good basis for the CIG ... or a BIG, for that matter.

• RMweb Premium

Just remember the Mk1 Cig and Big units had leaf spring bogies on the motor coaches. Everything else was on coils.

I have, and a BIG too. Have a look at my Central Division c.1987 workbench thread :)

• Like 2

It's a great base to work from. I built a 6REP using this method!

Just remember the Mk1 Cig and Big units had leaf spring bogies on the motor coaches. Everything else was on coils.

The first (Brighton Line) series yes.

The second series had B6 bogies. (As in those being retro fitted to the Brighton Belle.)

I believe some of the first series units also acquired B6 bogies in their later life - recovered from withdrawn 4REP units?

Edited by jonathan452

The second series had B6 bogies. (As in those being retro fitted to the Brighton Belle.)

I believe some of the first series units also acquired B6 bogies in their later life - recovered from withdrawn 4REP units?

I hadn't realised the renovated Belle is being fitted with modern bogies.

That'll stop the wild ride the old ladies tended to get!!!

• Like 1

Oh what a shame, and here I was hoping for a wild ride while eating my diner.

• 2 months later...

I hope Hornby wont give up on the 4vep. With 3 upgrades it should be a very good model.

Corridor windows cut

Better running

Bogies round the right way.

The basic model is a good one and would be very good if these problems could be sorted.

Would like to see this back in the main range for 2018

• Like 1

I hope Hornby wont give up on the 4vep. With 3 upgrades it should be a very good model.

Corridor windows cut

Better running

Bogies round the right way.

The basic model is a good one and would be very good if these problems could be sorted.

Would like to see this back in the main range for 2018

On the last run, the corridor windows were cut and the bogies put round the right way. The bogies are easy enough to fix on the first 2 runs, unclip them and put them round the right way. You will need to pull off the guard irons on the end ones though and put them on the opposite end of the bogie (these were missing on the last run).

That said roof vents and horns remain too small and the front is possibly the hardest feature to put right.

The thing is, the last run did not sell, I picked one up for a £100 at half price. There are still models in some shops out there now.

Edited by JSpencer

On the last run, the corridor windows were cut and the bogies put round the right way. The bogies are easy enough to fix on the first 2 runs, unclip them and put them round the right way. You will need to pull off the guard irons on the end ones though and put them on the opposite end of the bogie (these were missing on the last run).

That said roof vents and horns remain too small and the front is possibly the hardest feature to put right.

The thing is, the last run did not sell, I picked one up for a £100 at half price. There are still models in some shops out there now.

I picked up three Blue-Greys from the second run. They are good runners. They look the part. But they are not perfect and need some attention, especially to the cab ends. But, Hornby did make them, and made a better job of it than I could with a BPM or DCK kit. They are more detailed than a BPM RTR, and cost a lot less. I acknowledge the failings, contrasted to the better fist Bachmann made of the 4CEP and 2EPB. But I think the constant harping about them has put Hornby off risking more investment in a 4 car EMU. That is a great shame.

AFAIK, only the all blue version of the 4VEPs remain on the shelves - this was never going to sell in large quantities. This is a real criticism of Hornby's decision. They have a real knowledge gap in what to produce in the BR late 1960's to mid 80's era, probably the next most popular period, once the green diesel/end of steam ascendancy is passed (having overtaken the nearly all steam 1950's peak)? I admit my bias, but we do seem to be seeing an age related popularity shift, according to polls and to the products emerging.

• 2 months later...