Hornby Class 423 4-VEP

Adam1701D

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

The seller is called Carr’s Emporium and there’s a whole thread under the Bachmann forum about someone with a similar name, who may or may not be the same seller in this case.

Do you mean the “Canns Interselling Traders” thread?

Cheers

Darius

Maybe they have literally just landed and Hornbys staff aren't back from crimbo yet to update their website about pre orders..... looking at the pic the carpet the box is on looks like an office/shop type carpet, certainly not the type of carpet you have at home, and its lent up against a standard cardboard box. I reckon someone has had a delivery during the xmas/new year break got it straight out the card board box and started taking pics and posting on Ebay?

Hi,

If its a production model the close up photos seem to confirm the wheel flanges on the trailer coaches haven't been reduced in depth for this batch.

By the way I did some speed tests on a club DCC layout (min 3 foot radius curves) and a Hornby 4VEP power car did 130mph. Probably would be a bit slower with all the trailer cars attached and their slot bearings.

Regards

Nik

Hi,

The other thing I've noticed about the E-bay offering is that the motor bogie has been moved to the brake end of the motor coach.

Most of the photos on the E-bay page are the same as the Hornby website.

Regards

Nik

On 16/10/2023 at 19:39, adb968008 said:

I dont see any bars on the windows of the Southern VEP though… 

Southern Class 423 4-VEP 3514 Barnham 9/8/04

19 November 2005 - East Grinstead

Flickr urls not mine.

They are there... looking at the picture from GETS. But hard to spot being Dark Green, against the Window. 

image.png.b5d145a1aea51cf82d96bf42bbe33bf3.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ted633 said:

Email received from Rails that the Southern Green version is expected soon

Interestingly the Southern version is missing from the 2024 catalogue only the SWT one is pictured.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

Interestingly the Southern version is missing from the 2024 catalogue only the SWT one is pictured.

Maybe because it was supposed to be a 2023 release? Any normal.person could easily  be baffled by the difference between what's in the Hornby catalogue versus what's actually available in a given year.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Both SWT and Southern 4-VEPs are now in Stock at Hornby, should be in shops sometime next week.

Simon

Is it possible to exchange bogies or to otherwise "swap ends" on the motor coach?  It's a real shame that Hornby has gone for an intrusive motor visible in the passenger saloon whilst the brake area is available but empty.  The motor might intrude into the single compartment the refurbished units had at the brake end but not as much as it does where fitted.  

Hi,

I think the latest photos for the two units announced show the motor moved to the brake end.

Or were you referring the older models?.

Regards

Nik

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

6 hours ago, NIK said:

Hi,

I think the latest photos for the two units announced show the motor moved to the brake end.

Or were you referring the older models?.

Regards

Nik

Definitely in the saloonScreenshot2024-01-19at22_42_21.png.7c5d179985d55ed63ea95a3220154f76.png

Mine arrived today from KMRC and ran it in this afternoon. Runs well, no issues anywhere on my layout which is always nice. Colour reproduction is fine as far as I can tell, but will weather it up a bit when it gets warmer. Definitely looks the part far better than the previous release.

The only gripe, which unfortunately is a hangover from the previous model, is the indicator blinds. They are still stickers. The leading end (route number) is fine, however the trailing edge with double blanks + red LED leaves a bit to be desired. May attempt to fashion a double red at some point.

IMG_20240126_143759.jpg.6a8fe63d754ef03b5a0e9c3ec387b78c.jpg

IMG_20240126_143822.jpg.7f8ff22f9b4bfa2e3f12a46c28dd55d0.jpg

Couldn't really resist...

IMG_20240126_144357.jpg.798c0e21d25ffca374f347e7f6a30f5d.jpgIMG_20240126_144434.jpg.a8f61f624b0ebf9ceddc01ca37485f0d.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
On 19/01/2024 at 23:37, NIK said:

Hi,

From the Hornby website:

HORNBYWEBSITE19JAN24A1.png.93296f47d21833d3c88a6620a3f270af.png

Regards

Nik

Hornby has updated their stock images very recently.  Some retailers have followed suit.  It would seem that common sense has at last prevailed and that the (still a can) motor has been swapped to the less intrusive end of the coach.  Now if they had a decent modern power unit instead ....... 

• Like 1