Hornby Class 423 4-VEP

Adam1701D

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

One of the pictures in those samples is the old NSE release , not stagecoach… 

Photo_8_-_2011_and_New_Model_VEP_R30107_

url kink from Hornbys website.

now i’m seeing it painted i’m not sure what I think about blacked out compartment windows ?

the Southern livery definitely needs work.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Update from Hornby

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/class-423-4-vep-emu

SWT looking good, Southern/South Central hmmmm! Let's hope that green gets corrected for production 

The green is way too pale. 3514 was one of my units when I had a proper job.

The catalogue images are much more accurate in colour.

Edited by acg5324
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

now i’m seeing it painted i’m not sure what I think about blacked out compartment windows ?

23 minutes ago, lapford34102 said:

Will be fine when they do an original version but on this simply looks odd.

I have a number of Bachmann units which have the same problem - 4CEPs, 2HAP, 2EPBs, Thumpers etc.  Eventually you get used to it.  At least it's better than blocking out the first class compartments with a solid partition, and having the motor bogie in plain view ....

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, RFS said:

I have a number of Bachmann units which have the same problem - 4CEPs, 2HAP, 2EPBs, Thumpers etc.  Eventually you get used to it.  At least it's better than blocking out the first class compartments with a solid partition, and having the motor bogie in plain view ....

Bachmann have moved on from this, even KR Models 4DD has a motor below floor…

The videos last year of the 755 show Hornby have gone that route too.

i saw this at Warley last year and it didnt register at the time this is what they’d done…but when you see the two side by side it stands out, which means when you couple 4 coaches together this may stand out too.

i’m unsure now.

Edited by adb968008

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

One of the pictures in those samples is the old NSE release , not stagecoach… 

Photo_8_-_2011_and_New_Model_VEP_R30107_

url kink from Hornbys website.

I don't know what the model in NSE livery is, but the original model has the motor at the other end of the coach, not at the brake van end.

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Bachmann have moved on from this, even KR Models 4DD has a motor below floor…

The videos last year of the 755 show Hornby have gone that route too.

i saw this at Warley last year and it didnt register at the time this is what they’d done…but when you see the two side by side it stands out, which means when you couple 4 coaches together this may stand out too.

i’m unsure now.

Bachmann haven’t moved on with the refurbished CEP and the new 4TEP is well over £500! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, miles73128 said:

Bachmann haven’t moved on with the refurbished CEP and the new 4TEP is well over £500! 

They started with the 117/121, then subsequently the 150 and them moved on to the 158.
They all have underfloor motors.

EFEs 144 has underfloor motors.

The 4DD from KR has a mostly subsurface motor.

Dapols Bubble car / GW railcar is underfloor

Realtracks 142 and 156 are underfloor.

i’m pretty sure the Heljan 104 is

The industry is moving on.  putting a lump of metal around the motor reminds me of the Dapol 150.

There are some clever solutions, Pikos EN57 has a hidden underfloor motor, they made the seats cast for to add weight for example.. 

73E12EB2-B25E-4595-ACA4-D627124C9144.jpeg

F8E1D078-3605-4D5F-AEBA-4E27C52543D7.jpeg

686759F0-1E2C-4C2B-A5F3-2D8C42F2CCF4.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

They started with the 117/121, then subsequently the 150 and them moved on to the 158.

The industry is moving on.  putting a lump of metal around the motor reminds me of the Dapol 150.

There are some clever solutions, Pikos EN57 has a hidden underfloor motor, they made the seats cast for to add weight for example.. 

Yes indeed. But I was simply pointing out that for 3rd Rail units, CEP, BEP, HAP, EPB, 2H etc, that’s a whopping great big motor shroud on show….(and especially noticeable in the CEP {R})

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, miles73128 said:

Yes indeed. But I was simply pointing out that for 3rd Rail units, CEP, BEP, HAP, EPB, 2H etc, that’s a whopping great big motor shroud on show….(and especially noticeable in the CEP {R})

So does the Triang Metro Cammel DMU, They are all old.

As they are spending money on upgrading the VEP, updating it to similar levels as current spec, just as several others are doing surely makes sense… ?

in a few years the VEP may find itself out of date to contempories and need a 2nd (or 3rd) round of upgrades.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

So does the Triang Metro Cammel DMU, They are all old.

As they are spending money on upgrading the VEP, updating it to similar levels as current spec, just as several others are doing surely makes sense… ?

in a few years the VEP may find itself out of date to contempories and need a 2nd (or 3rd) round of upgrades.

Looks like they are not - just like Bachmann are not on their (southern emus), but at £362.99 vs £589.99 rrp {4VEP vs 4 TEP) 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, miles73128 said:

Looks like they are not - just like Bachmann are not on their (southern emus), but at £362.99 vs £589.99 rrp {4VEP vs 4 TEP) 

Two wrongs don't make a right, both are missing it.

The price difference is intriguing too…

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 3

Will change my order to the SWT example if the South Central livery isn't corrected. Amazed they even showed it, seeing as it is so obviously wrong! 

I assume there are 'inserts' to put in for the indicator blinds. Look a bit odd at the moment, especially when lit.

On 01/10/2023 at 09:16, adb968008 said:

The ironic thing about all this is

British Railways tended to focus on 57 foot and 64 coach lengths, riding on 8'6" bogies. 

Obviously Mk3 and subsequent are 23 metre / 75 foot body lengths, but if the manufacturers considered the basic factors and designed suitable subfloor designs to "clad" the mechanism in.  

• RMweb Gold

Is it me, or do the horns still look a little bit on the tiny side? I think if Hornby ever get around to issuing one of these newer ones in Blue/Grey I might get one. The SWT one is so very tempting, as I think my last ever time on a slammer on the mainline was an SWT Vep.

• RMweb Premium

I can't say I'm 100% sure of the front end still, but it's much better than previously and is probably enough to get a pass from me, so if Blue/Grey is done again, then I'll be up for one or two units.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, andyman7 said:

Certainly the Southern green one looked much better colourwise 'in the flesh' at GETS

PXL_20231015_105925611.jpg

I dont see any bars on the windows of the Southern VEP though… 

Southern Class 423 4-VEP 3514 Barnham 9/8/04

19 November 2005 - East Grinstead

Flickr urls not mine.

Edited by adb968008