Lowfit Invacar

• RMweb Gold

Very nice.

I think you're a bit overoptimistic with the wheel chocks though, unless of course pics exist!, I'm considering using random bits of wood.

The foregoing assumes mine ever escape the clutches of Spanish officialdom and couriers, they've been on their way from Hattons since their release date!

Mike.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Agreed they are a bit on the heavy side.  They were spares from a rake of Oxford Rail Carflats and so were available to hand.  The photos of the real things on the other thread did seem to indicate yellow painted wheel chocks.

Cheers 

Darius

8 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Sounds like a Latin tag but inspired by a thread elsewhere on RMWeb.

F3151610-BE0F-42D7-BAAA-1F46888F53C6.jpeg.cd0b0ed59f3dedbc3555c9cfcad272f8.jpeg

FF24D9EA-AFBB-4BE2-A01D-2808D13874B5.jpeg.37875ce9b0d6c3b071645c076300a529.jpeg

C55A9690-B45F-4A02-8F55-CCC12BEDC982.jpeg.5f7f4ae072a5be4e722e6927f607ad76.jpeg

Parkside Lowfit with Oxford Diecast Invacar.  Tissue paper sacking padding and 0.25mm marine model rigging thread.

Cheers

Darius

It's a while since I chocked anything, but my recollection is that the chocks fitted the opposite way. i.e. sloping side against the wheel

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The more I look at the chocks they look too big - as well as being the wrong way around - so I’m going to replace them with smaller ones made from plasticard.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

It's a while since I chocked anything, but my recollection is that the chocks fitted the opposite way. i.e. sloping side against the wheel

What's the difference between a scotch and a chock?

Sheffield buses, proper Regents and PD2's etc, used to have a transfer in the cab stating all buses must be scotched when parked or something similar.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Agreed they are a bit on the heavy side.  They were spares from a rake of Oxford Rail Carflats and so were available to hand.  The photos of the real things on the other thread did seem to indicate yellow painted wheel chocks.

Cheers 

Darius

As yellow painted wheel chocks seem a bit specific to the traffic (to me, I'm not casting aspersions on your reasoning, bits of wood made into chocks would seem more likely), might the wagons employed on this traffic have been kept on the "circuit" to ensure the chocks were returned to sender, or was it that things were done "properly" in the day and random pieces of wood were painted yellow?

Apologies for getting a bit anal with this, but it's piqued my interest.

Mike.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the photo of the Invacars with the Interfrigo ferry wagons on the other thread, I detected a hint of yellow where the wheel chocks were.  Hence my yellow chocks.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Gold

It looks like scotch is used in railway terms, found this on a quick google 

“Scotch blocks are a specialty type of wheel chock made of steel or steel alloy. Scotch blocks are traditionally used on railways to prevent parked train cars from moving or rolling. Scotch blocks are also sometimes used to store motorcycles or other vehicles that typically rely on a kickstand to remain upright while stationary.”

on this page

https://www.myteeproducts.com/auto-towing-hauling/wheel-chocks-scotch-blocks.html

looks like American usage though 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Sounds like a Latin tag but inspired by a thread elsewhere on RMWeb.

F3151610-BE0F-42D7-BAAA-1F46888F53C6.jpeg.cd0b0ed59f3dedbc3555c9cfcad272f8.jpeg

FF24D9EA-AFBB-4BE2-A01D-2808D13874B5.jpeg.37875ce9b0d6c3b071645c076300a529.jpeg

C55A9690-B45F-4A02-8F55-CCC12BEDC982.jpeg.5f7f4ae072a5be4e722e6927f607ad76.jpeg

Parkside Lowfit with Oxford Diecast Invacar.  Tissue paper sacking padding and 0.25mm marine model rigging thread.

Cheers

Darius

Nice one Darius. Reassures me that my order for Parkside  Kits was the correct decision as a stop gap.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

As far as I am aware you can’t get a single malt chock.

Cheers

Darius

As is happens last Xmas I was given an Advent calendar of whisky chocs - most of them were blended but two were malt!

Love the vehicle, but would they really have painted chocks yellow back then - wouldn't they have just been blocks of wood, unpainted or simply treated with preservative, with or without a handle?  Your smaller chocks certainly look better than the first  ones.  Yellow paint strikes me as more of modern health & safety notion, whereas those old invalid carriages always looked like 3-wheeled death traps, even at the time.

This is the sort of thing I have in mind, albeit these ones were intended for rail wheels and not used correctly (para 3)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/safety-digest-122018-bitton/runaway-of-two-coaches-at-bitton-avon-valley-railway-25-july-2018

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Quite a few pictures of road vehicles including Invacars loaded onto Lowfits on Paul Bartlett's web site:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brlowfit

In many cases you can't see the chocks due to the wagon's sides, but the one in the last picture on the page (can't seem to link to individual images?) seems to have been chocked with a baulk of timber across the wagon, rather than individual ones for each wheel.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 29/04/2022 at 11:20, 31A said:

Quite a few pictures of road vehicles including Invacars loaded onto Lowfits on Paul Bartlett's web site:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brlowfit

In many cases you can't see the chocks due to the wagon's sides, but the one in the last picture on the page (can't seem to link to individual images?) seems to have been chocked with a baulk of timber across the wagon, rather than individual ones for each wheel.

The squiggle above every photo gives the individual url for linking to a photo. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brlowfit/e1d777c1b

This shows the chocks that I remember seeing quite often. Individually nailed into the floor. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brlowfit/e153eff56 used on bogie carflats - those large yellow ones were a very late introduction IIRC. 

Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 29/04/2022 at 08:28, jwealleans said:

... I'm sure I have a photo of these loaded sideways on Lowfits, 3 to a wagon.

So much for memory.  I was right about the sideways, 3 to a wagon bit, though:

isettas_near_brighton.jpg.ffa2ee75286acc366d9f4e832b44c812.jpg

No idea where this came from - if the copyright holder wishes to get in touch, I'm very happy to credit.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

No idea where this came from - if the copyright holder wishes to get in touch, I'm very happy to credit.

Great photo although they look like Bubble Cars (BMW Isetta) rather than Invacars.  Great inspiration for an unusual formation.

Looks like the approach to Brighton.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, jwealleans said:

And a product of Brighton Works what would Mister Stroudley say…….

Keith

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

Built under license by Isetta of Great Britain in the former Brighton Works between 1957 and 1962.

Cheers

Darius

Well well I learn something new every day. I had never ever heard that or seen a Pic like the one shown.

Thanks.