Old road direction signs in 4mm?

2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Is anyone aware of these or anything similar being available in 4mm scale? A quick web search throws up lots of road signs but not direction variety?

Thanks

Chris

Not really surprising - the number of alternatives needed to cover the geographical range of model locations would be wholly prohibitive!

CJI.

Edited by cctransuk

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Not really surprising - the number of alternatives needed to cover the geographical range of model locations would be wholly prohibitive!

CJI.

I'm simply looking for the posts - and on that subject - I've just found something by Dart Castings..I can probably print the words

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/dart/L4.php

Chris

Just as a point of possible interest, you can download free versions of the various roadsign typefaces (including one for the pre-Warboys signs) from https://www.roads.org.uk/fonts if you want to print your own.

Also, rather than use paper, use the inkjet printer compatible plastic card sheet used to make badges.  Usually people use it to print badges and stuff, cut them out and apply heat to them which causes the plastic to bulk up and shrink into a badge whilst fixing the ink into the design, but you could do what I have done, print to the correct scale size, cut out then fix the printed image into place using the spray fixer used to protect inkjet printed photos from fading and scratching.  It means you can keep the correct scale, and protect the image from handling, whilst being on a robust medium that won't fade, absorb damp or the like.  The plastic and photo fixative are widely available online.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

7 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Is anyone aware of these or anything similar being available in 4mm scale? A quick web search throws up lots of road signs but not direction variety?

Thanks

Chris

I think Sankey Scenics make them to order.

https://www.sankeyscenics.co.uk/

Might be worth asking.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure if you are after finger post style of the cast style sometimes found on buildings at junctions, but remember that if you want to include road numbers as well as place names, you will need to consider where your layout is set. 

Roads are numberd to a system based on where they are and where they go. 

It is therefore unlikely that you will find a road number startin with a 4 in Kent, but will likely find one starting with a 2. 

Details can be found on roads.org site as quoted by wombatofludham above. 

A fascinating site that could easily waste a few hours and full of stuff you never knew you didn't know.

Andy

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I'm not sure if you are after finger post style of the cast style sometimes found on buildings at junctions, but remember that if you want to include road numbers as well as place names, you will need to consider where your layout is set. 

Roads are numberd to a system based on where they are and where they go. 

It is therefore unlikely that you will find a road number startin with a 4 in Kent, but will likely find one starting with a 2. 

Details can be found on roads.org site as quoted by wombatofludham above. 

A fascinating site that could easily waste a few hours and full of stuff you never knew you didn't know.

Andy

I was lucky, roads around the Dudley area where my fictional town is set are generally in the "4" zone so I could have direction signs for Mallard Way (A4468) and Scotsman Hill (B4472).

I know they are LNER high speed tea urns but the Gresleys are an old Staffordshire-Derbyshire family to which I have a very, very distant relationship!

And no. neither number is used in real life, I'm a bit anal about these things and checked...

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1