Mark 1 56ft 11" Suburban Coaches inn OO/4mm, By Accurascale

I think you are correct - the large brass knob was for the heating and there was an on/off switch above the sliding compartment door for the compartment ceiling lights. There were also individual lights with their own switch on the wall above the seats (can't remember if these were only in first class or in second as well). Removing the ceiling light bulbs and closing the blinds usually resulted in a reasonable sleep on overnights! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, 40052 said:

Thinking about it again I think the on/off switch may have been dim/bright hence removing the bulbs on an overnight as they would be on whenever the guard switched on the train lighting 

Yeah the switch states dim/bright although in reality it’s more dim/slightly less dim

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, 40052 said:

I think you are correct - the large brass knob was for the heating and there was an on/off switch above the sliding compartment door for the compartment ceiling lights. There were also individual lights with their own switch on the wall above the seats (can't remember if these were only in first class or in second as well). Removing the ceiling light bulbs and closing the blinds usually resulted in a reasonable sleep on overnights! 

One of these?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

........ or was that the steam heat ?

Yes, of course…that’s correct, remember now.

I do remember individual lighting (reading lights?) in compartments had smaller plain Bakelite switches though.

On 06/06/2022 at 12:04, Accurascale Fran said:

NEW ANNOUNCEMENT - Delicious Subs! Mark 1 56ft 11" Suburban Coaches in OO/4mm

Cheers!

Fran 

Hi Fran

Although I thoroughly applaud Accurascale for taking these prototypes on, as a dyed-in-the-wool Southern Region modeller they don't really float my boat I'm afraid - UNLESS - you have plans to do the ones that migrated to Longmoor Military Railway in the 60s in either the original Olive Drab or the later LMR blue.

Is this something we can expect to see in the fullness of time?  If so, I'm in!

TIA

Elliott

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

The Southern had a few mk1 suburbans allox from new, in unlined crimson livery, but they were the longer 64' version; the seconds were 10-compartments.  They were used in 3-coach sets on the Exmouth Branch along with some spares used all over the place as strengtheners.  The WR recieved both lengths, the 64 footers being allox London Division in sets and 57 footers as general strengtheners spread all over the region; I certainly remember them at Cardiff.  Some of the WR's coaches were xfer to the SR following replacement by dmus, and I could not say which length these were, and possibly examples of both lengths were xfer.  It is possible that some of the Southern's suburbans recieved malachite green livery after 1956 and I am pretty sure I have seen photos showing this on the Lymington and Hayling Island Branches.  

The unlined crimson (carmine) livery was applied until 1956, when unlined maroon was adopted, and malachite green was adopted on the Southern.  Of course it took some time for coaches to be repainted, as the work was not done until works overhaul was due, unlike modern times when branding and image is considered to be much more important.  Any painted after 1959 were maroon with full lining as per main line gangwayed stock, and Rail Blue was introduced in 1966. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The Southern had a few mk1 suburbans allox from new, in unlined crimson livery, but they were the longer 64' version; the seconds were 10-compartments.  They were used in 3-coach sets on the Exmouth Branch along with some spares used all over the place as strengtheners.  The WR recieved both lengths, the 64 footers being allox London Division in sets and 57 footers as general strengtheners spread all over the region; I certainly remember them at Cardiff.  Some of the WR's coaches were xfer to the SR following replacement by dmus, and I could not say which length these were, and possibly examples of both lengths were xfer.  It is possible that some of the Southern's suburbans recieved malachite green livery after 1956 and I am pretty sure I have seen photos showing this on the Lymington and Hayling Island Branches.  

The unlined crimson (carmine) livery was applied until 1956, when unlined maroon was adopted, and malachite green was adopted on the Southern.  Of course it took some time for coaches to be repainted, as the work was not done until works overhaul was due, unlike modern times when branding and image is considered to be much more important.  Any painted after 1959 were maroon with full lining as per main line gangwayed stock, and Rail Blue was introduced in 1966. 

According to the 'blood and custard' website, the Southern allocated 64 footers that were in the sets for the Exmouth branch, were not repainted into green until 1960, they had received an overhaul at Lancing in 1958 but were revarnished. Possibly due to priority for repainting into green, being given to mainline stock. Two years later, these 3 coach sets and most of the 64ft seconds were transferred to the Western, with the boundary reorganisation, and were early withdrawals. The SR did receive 12 64ft seconds from the WR in the early sixties (one of which was withdrawn immediately due to it's poor condition), none of which were the previously transferred coaches. They were used on Basingstoke and Winchester semi fasts. 

Most of the long suburbans that worked on the SR  had further lives after withdrawal as carflats.

Edited by rembrow
Addition
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The Southern had a few mk1 suburbans allox from new, in unlined crimson livery, but they were the longer 64' version; the seconds were 10-compartments.  They were used in 3-coach sets on the Exmouth Branch along with some spares used all over the place as strengtheners.

Agree Johnster - hence my question to Fran. 

The simplest way for me to justify putting these excellent looking models on my layout would be by way of a short rake of Longmoor based coaches - that only bends the space-time continuum "slightly"...

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, DutyDruid said:

Agree Johnster - hence my question to Fran. 

The simplest way for me to justify putting these excellent looking models on my layout would be by way of a short rake of Longmoor based coaches - that only bends the space-time continuum "slightly"...

Hi @DutyDruid,

Our intention is to certainly over the various liveries our stock have worn in their service careers, so we will get to them at some stage!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Strange to remember that punters were permitted to control the atmosphere in a coach - even to opening a window! I doubt the younger generation will believe us. 

Paul

It will probably come back as an app. Everyone gets to choose what temperature they want then the heating/AC is set to some kind of average that suits nobody.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I’m just about to pre-order seven of these models, but before I do, does the site automatically add the discount before payment or deposit is made?

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I’m just about to pre-order seven of these models, but before I do, does the site automatically add the discount before payment or deposit is made?

It  will appear on the Checkout as a ‘bundle’ discount 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 09/07/2022 at 00:11, McC said:

It  will appear on the Checkout as a ‘bundle’ discount 

Seven duly ordered, 1 x BS, 2 x CL’s, 2 x S and 2 x SLO, all in BR Blue.  Just need to decide which of these I go for?  31248, 31402 or 31409 to go with 31128 I’ve ordered.  I would have been in real trouble if you had done 31110 in unrefurbished BR blue as I used to see it in Bristol in the late 70’s/early 80’s, belching clouds of white steam from the boiler.  Wipes away a misty eyed tear 🥲

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 10/08/2022 at 11:32, rorz101uk said:

Guys would it be possible to do a picture of formations of these coaches for each region? Like what Hornby mag do? Also could you sell these as packs at all? 

Hi Rory,

It's 10% off if you order two coaches or more, so we dont see the benefit of doing a pack really? We will be rustling up a formations guide in due course.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm try to place an order via pre-paid installments guys but every time I get the code via email, it tells me to then enter my email when I return to the page.

I'm now stuck in the validation code cycle of death! 🤯🤣

Davy.

Edited by Mad McCann