PECO announces its entry into the TT gauge market

whart57

5 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

It's on 3d printing section? 

I dont really class that as modelling in the scale yet then.

I have yet to see a British outline 1:120 layout in the 3mm society, FB,  YouTube or on here so IF there is then it is a very, very small minority.

Edited by Golden Fleece 30
  • Funny 1

19 minutes ago, Golden Fleece 30 said:

I have yet to see a British outline 1:120 layout in the 3mm society, FB,  YouTube or on here so IF there is then it is a very, very small minority.

Technically not 3mm so should it be in new section? 2.54mm!

Is there much 3mm stuff on FB?

27 minutes ago, Golden Fleece 30 said:

Geez!

British 1/120 has only been a thing for a week - give us chance!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 5

On 14/06/2022 at 18:02, andythenorth said:

Oh dear, you're so close to the wording here, it's not even funny: https://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=43860

I'm amazed that the rusting hulk of LUGNET is still used as a point of reference as it lays nestled next to the SMS Titanic on the seabed, you would almost need a Tardis to get that material given how far back in time you went, in another twist of fate Richie has also dabbled in model railways and has a penchant for narrow gauge stock, I think he was into Queensland sugar cane stuff or something similar.  

55 minutes ago, Talltim said:

Its a small world. Richie is one of my friends!

Edit: And I just noticed I responded to that post

@David Stannard

In an increasingly smaller world it's ironic to see a number of us former AFOL Train Builders end up here, that said we have always been railway modellers at heart regardless of what medium we use to enjoy the hobby, I can't wait for Carl to go O gauge considering how much time he spent at Pete Watermans place.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Well Peco have been doing the more appropriate HOm track 

Yes and no, it's the correct gauge, certainly, but looks very heavy for British and Irish 3ft gauge, hence I used the Ratio TT 12mm gauge track on my 00n3 layouts, only the points were Peco H0m. This new track may be more suitable, we'll just have to wait and see, though.

11 hours ago, Synch said:

I've been watching this thread from a distance, there's certainly a lot of debate as regards to the scale compared to the original TT.

My only wonder is if this would form a good stepping stone to seeing Isle of Man and Irish Narrow Gauge be developed rtr?

Corgi has been mentioned as a manufacturer of Manx stuff. Diecast bodies on unpowered chassis. Sounds to me like a job for EFE.

34 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Corgi has been mentioned as a manufacturer of Manx stuff. Diecast bodies on unpowered chassis. Sounds to me like a job for EFE.

Haven’t Oxford Diecast already done that with a tram and a locomotive?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

I don't think Kadee would produce couplers for TT

They do HOn3 which might be reasonably close

The smaller size of 3' gauge stock at 1:87 could mean they are physically close to standard gauge at 1:120

Edit

a quick scribble suggests they equate to around 1:100☹️

Edited by melmerby

1 hour ago, Vanguard 5374 said:

Haven’t Oxford Diecast already done that with a tram and a locomotive?

Yes I think it in 00n3, but someone might know for sure.

Edited by Hobby

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I think it in 00 scale, but someone might know for sure.

The loco is 4mm scale, 12mm gauge AIUI, so OOn3, but not motorised.

Somebody (Branchlines, I think) used to do a chassis kit for an old kit (probably GEM) that might be adapted if still produced. 

NG modellers are a resourceful lot, so if it's practicable, it will have been done.

John

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0DGIVAPHFM

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

32 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

The loco is 4mm scale, 12mm gauge AIUI, so OOn3, but not motorised.

Somebody (Branchlines, I think) used to do a chassis kit for an old kit (probably GEM) that might be adapted if still produced. 

NG modellers are a resourceful lot, so if it's practicable, it will have been done.

John

I remember seeing an article in one of the mags about motirising a die-cast IOM body.

I queried Branchlines a day or two ago.  GEM IOM loco bodies are now produced by a new owner and are available as Branchlines complete loco kits with motor, g/b, etched chassis and Gibson wheels for 12mm gauge.  The chassis is available separately.

Edited by Jeff Smith
Added info
  • Informative/Useful 2

18 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

The Easy Shunt seems to have the same coupler mount, but of course it will be at the wrong height for the uncoupling magnets to work...

Shouldn't be as the NEM 355 pocket defines the height above the rail and distance behind the buffers regardless of whether it is TT or N.

1 minute ago, frobisher said:

Shouldn't be as the NEM 355 pocket defines the height above the rail and distance behind the buffers regardless of whether it is TT or N.

Yes, you are right. I corrected it in a subsequent [post with a link to the NEM spec.

Luke

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, whart57 said:

There is another explanation. It's clear to all of us that the OO gauge market is saturated. I note from this months Modeller that RoS are partnering with Dapol to produce an SECR D1. Nice loco, but most didn't venture out of Kent. (I checked this with Bradley and apart from the redeployment of half a dozen to Nine Elms during WW2 and again after they had been displaced from Kent by electrification, the class was allocated to Eastern Section sheds for the whole of the Grouping and BR steam eras.) Now I like the railways of Kent, I grew up there, but how many others model those lines. The D1 is just one example of a loco class making it as an RTR model simply because all the obvious big sellers have been done.

My suspicion is that all the major players have been looking for a new market to exploit. Hornby were looking at TT some ten years ago, why would they be the only one to do some research into TT. The PECO announcement may well have just jolted Heljan to revisit plans made and shelved. Certainly the 18 months lead time suggests projects haven't advanced much.

I agree, the OO market is quite saturated, with manufacturers now producing the same prototype as well on occasion 

with the new scale TT the world is your oyster 

Taking the class 31/Brush type 2 as an example, not only do you have current production you also have 50 odd years of previous examples still around to compete with 

On TT 120 you are the only game in town and there is no cheap second hand stuff knocking around either

You may also be one of the few diesels around to choose from for a while 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Asterix2012 said:

I agree, the OO market is quite saturated, with manufacturers now producing the same prototype as well on occasion 

Absolutely, are there many BR standard's left to do for example?   I know from a personal perspective that my wish list hasn't yet been fulfilled, G6 anyone? probably not many of you.  Then again Squires have  reissued the old Wills/SEF kit and chassis, so if I really want one I can get one.

Hopefully this week there have been full boardrooms, or what have you, with the marketing guys smashing it to the accountants over what this actually means to them as toy train makers.  

As @Asterix2012 has said, game on !

Edited by Tim Dubya
extra stuff

12 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

TT120?

No, just TT which has always been 1:120 scale. The combination of 3mm/ft scale and 12mm gauge introduced (foisted on us?) by Tri-ang in 1957 has been known as TT3 since it's introduction. Calling that TT produces the same confusion as in the 1920s and 1930s when 00 referred to both 4mm/ft and 3.5mm/ft scale on 16.5mm gauge track (and for  a while to 4mm/ft scale on 18mm or 19mm gauge as well) . That confusion was overcome by calling the accurate scale/gauge H0 (short for half 0) a name that was then adopted worldwide (though 1:87 scale on 16.5mm gauge track was still being called 00 in France until about 1950) .  

Isn't it time we dropped the confusing mm/ft stuff and just followed engineering practice by using a ratio as do modelllers everywhere else in the world ?  Then it doesn't matter if the units are miles, feet, inches, millimetres, or points.  

I know the idea, in the days before we had calculators, was that one could convert pre-metrication prototype dimensions in feet into millimetres using an ordinary ruler but surely, if we're serious about whatever scale we're modelling we simply have a scale ruler.

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

8 hours ago, melmerby said:

They do HOn3 which might be reasonably close

The smaller size of 3' gauge stock at 1:87 could mean they are physically close to standard gauge at 1:120

Edit

a quick scribble suggests they equate to around 1:100☹️

ISTR that the AAR couplers used for 3ft gauge railroads are the same size as those used with British coaching stock. I'm not sure about those used within modern British goods trains- they look larger.

I think Micro-trains (formerly part of Kadee) produce a Magnematic  coupler for N gauge that fits the NEM 355 box and that's the same height, size and position relative to the railhead and buffers for TT as for N. I'm not sure if they do but I've asked them as it would be relevant to my H0m stock as well. 

This is NEM 355. It's not one of those translated into English yet but it should be self evident.

nem355_f.pdf

Edited by Pacific231G

50 minutes ago, frobisher said:

Yes I looked at that but I've emailed them as well so we shall see. Perhaps they'll take the hint but my impression is that Micro-trains is a smaller company- at least so far as couplers go- than Kadee. I used to use Micro-trains couplers in H0e but I simply glued their boxes to the floors of the rolling stock at the appropriate height. My current H0m stock uses hinged loop couplers but I'd prefer magnematics.

the Dapol Easy Shunt looks to be a magnematic clone though possibly rather larger than I remember the Micro-Trains coupler being.

Edited by Pacific231G