Locomotives with different names each side?

38 minutes ago, Andy Kirkham said:

The Ffestiniog Fairlie Earl of Merioneth has the name in English on one side and in Welsh (Iarll Meirionnydd)  on the other.

https://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/Earl_of_Merioneth_II

As did at a late stage in it's life Britannia 70010 Owen Glendower, one side had the welsh spelling Owain Glyndwr (or similar). Both were quite neatly painted on, BR had removed the originals.

Brit15

• Informative/Useful 1

31296 was such an example

Brush Traction No.365

BR  D5829

Tops. 31296

New 1/62

Amlwch Freighter/Tren Nwyddau Amlwych

named 9/86

named at Associated Octel, Amlwch 3/9/86. Later transferred to 47330 from 3/90.

31296 was the first class 31 to be named

Name removed 3/90

Withdrawn 12/93

Cut up 1/04

Does this count?  Ely station pilot 08594 had painted unofficial nameplates - ELY on one side, and on the other when it was at Hitchin and the paint job had become damaged) it became FLY.

I probably should have photographed it, but I never had my camera with me when I saw Fly shunting!

4 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

I just saw a picture of 37425 “Sir Robert McAlpine/ Concrete Bob” and it got me wondering. Are there any other locos with different names on each side? 

Current ones just for starters, numbers of others no longer carried

43198 Driver Stan Martin 25 June 1950-6 November 2004 / Driver Brian Cooper 15 June 1947-5 October 1999 

47727 Edinburgh Castle / Caisteal Dhùn Èideann

50007 Hercules / Furious

66533 Hanjin Express / Senator Express

86259 Les Ross / Peter Pan

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

Similarly, the Irish Rail 201 class have ( River ) names in English on one side and Gaelic on t'other.

Owain Glyndwr was a very odd case as TWO B.R. steam locos carried the same name at the same time - namely the aforementioned Brit and Vale of Rheidol No.7 !

Regarding the Vale Of Rheidol.

Strange to mention the two locomotives named Owain Glyndwr (even though one was named Owen Glendower), yet no mention of the three BR steam locomotives named Prince Of Wales!

VoR, GWR Star and LNER A3.

Jason

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Was 4043 still around when No.9 got its name back ?

I think not. 4043 was withdrawn in 1951 and the Rheidol trio were named in 1956.

However BR had a fourth Prince of Wales - ex-GCR Class D11 No. 62662 which lasted until 1960

BR also had three steam locos concurrently named North British. The quirk in this case being that two of them belonged to the same class - the WD 2-10-0s

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Agree 1

I remember a red class 47 taking the Caledonian Sleeper south from Inverness on several consecutive  evenings named appropriately "Y Draig Goch" on one side and I believe "The Red Dragon," on the other.  This was the sort of Imaginative branding, a red Welsh loco on a blue Anglo Scottish prestige service which sets British Railways apart from the well run railways of the world.

1 hour ago, Andy Kirkham said:

I think not. 4043 was withdrawn in 1951 and the Rheidol trio were named in 1956.

However BR had a fourth Prince of Wales - ex-GCR Class D11 No. 62662 which lasted until 1960

BR also had three steam locos concurrently named North British. The quirk in this case being that two of them belonged to the same class - the WD 2-10-0s

Damn. That's right, I'm getting the D11 mixed up with the Star.

I knew there was three Prince Of Wales at the time.  I did ignore the LNWR locomotive of the same name though.

Getting back to the oddity of locomotives with different names on each side. ISTR some of the Class 60s only had them on one side. I remember being told it was the ones named after "peaks" that were disappearing and they didn't know whether it was railway enthusiasts or countryside fans that were doing it. It does seem strange that the ones named after people didn't have the same problem so I reckon it was the latter.

Jason

9 hours ago, Andy Kirkham said:

However BR had a fourth Prince of Wales - ex-GCR Class D11 No. 62662 which lasted until 1960 ...

What's more this name was already carried by the D11 when the LNER re-named A1 2553 from 'Manna' - most - if not all - other duplications came about by amalgamation of railways.

I'm not convinced that the 'North British' plates on WD 20-10-0s were intended to be names, as such, or just glorified builders' plates / adverts !!?! 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

For a short time 73141, when in Network Rail ownership, ran with 'Ron Westwood' one side, and 'David Gay' on the other. (February 2009) These nameplates came off when 73141 went into GBRf ownership soon after to become 'Charlotte' (July 2009).

XSLWMA1372 18.02.09.jpg

XSLWMA1375 18.02.09.jpg

XSLWMA1482 08.07.09.JPG