What locomotives and rolling stock should be produced first?

eldomtom2

21 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

The 21t mineral in 00 is an Airfix tooling from at least as long ago as 1980 with whatever tweaks it has had over the years (largely wheels and couplings I expect). What seems to be the actual TT model appears here (scroll down): 

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/Hornby-tt-model-prototypes-examined/

Somehow I missed this. 

They look better than what I was expecting.

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Somehow I missed this. 

They look better than what I was expecting.

Jason

The individual models look really very good indeed.  The only real error I'm qualified to spot is what seems to be the use of a 10' steel underframe under the wooden minerals.

My earlier remark about the TOPS code of a Toad B was sarcarstic I'm afraid.  I doubt any Toad Bs were running with wooden duckets late enough to be listed on TOPS or run with Hornby's blue 08. I looked at @hmrspaul's photos but the latest I could find was I think dated 1961, with later photos showing vans with steel duckets and seeming to be in departmental use by the 1970s anyway.  The sample is very nice but awaits the J94 to be of use whereas a BR type would be useful straight away with the 08 (and could be released as an LNER Toad D with minor changes). 

• RMweb Premium
On 18/10/2022 at 14:14, WM183 said:

With regards to what to make... BR standard wagons, Mk1 coaches, some early diesel and BR standard steam. Lots of folks model BR in the steam or early diesel years, when most if not all of this stuff would see use.

Cue Bachmann...

• RMweb Premium
On 21/10/2022 at 05:44, TonyMay said:

I think you've identified the need for more wagons, but not how to get them.  Based on their OO range, I expect Hornby will produce a handful of generic wagons, and some brightly coloured PO wagons, but the overall offering will be rather disappointing.

It's the wagon kit manufacturers who should be looking at downscaling existing wagon kits.  They are not very hard to assemble.  And they're not very expensive, so they can be used to practice skills like painting and weathering. If you mess it up, it's no big deal.  Better a wagon kit than a £200 RTR locomotive. 

... as has been done in 3mm over the years, where there is now a truly vast range available, from Parkside, Cambrian et al. However these were funded directly by the 3mm Society.

Peco now owns Parkside, so...

• RMweb Gold

Hornby are proposing a number of wagons they haven't done in OO — VEA and VGA vans, BR Mk 1 horsebox — but I agree that, in their OO range, things are as you state. There does seem an absence of transition-era wagons in particular, and I reckon that this is still one of the most popular eras. Case in point: the blue and green Farish 31s sold out long before any of the newer liveries, even though they had been issued before not that many years ago.

I am puzzled at the logic behind choosing the short wheelbase LNER "Toad B" and "Toad E" over, for example, a BR standard brake van, particularly given that there are no LNER freight locos — or even mixed traffic — in the immediate plans. J94s were seldom used for anything other than shunting. We could really do with some "joined-up thinking" like Dapol did in their first N gauge models; GWR 14xx and auto-trailer, 45xx and B-set, B17 and Gresley coaches,…

Even if they don't have any recent relevant CADs for the BR standard brake van, they should have for the Stanier type, much more relevant for the planned Black 5 and 9F.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1