The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Dull Mens Club

RichardT

• RMweb Premium

You may sometimes think that what the world need is a little less excitement. In which case The Dull Mens Club (also open to women) may be of interest. My application is in the post.

A star member featured in today’s Guardian - 

https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/jun/17/experience-i-am-the-dullest-man-in-britain

Richard T

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I don’t think that finding joy in the everyday is dull, in fact quite the opposite. Using one’s senses more fully than most, getting the most out of life, however it presents and however mundane, is a high aspiration. 

What I find dull are the ever-increasing levels of hype perceived to be required in order to suggest that folk are living a life better (whatever that means) than everyone else and screeching relentlessly about it on social media. 

The society of spectacle, where being is replaced by having, which in turn is replaced by the illusion of having, is sucking the life out of certain sections of humanity. I fear for my kids.

Cheers,

’152

• Like 6
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Vistisen said:

I have just been on a bus trip to see the 11 roundabouts in the Danish town of Skive. I could post the pictures I took here.

Please do.

I would reciprocate by taking shots of all 8 roundabouts in the entire county of Rutland.

Then again, I might try for all 4 sets of traffic lights.

Regards

Ian

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Vistisen said:

I have just been on a bus trip to see the 11 roundabouts in the Danish town of Skive. I could post the pictures I took here.

Where I grew up, we called that skiving!  As in skipping school.

Dava

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Dava said:

Where I grew up, we called that skiving!  As in skipping school.

Dava

To skive: "split or cut into strips, pare off, grind away," 1825, from a Scandinavian source such as Old Norse skifa "to cut, split," from Proto-Germanic *skif-, from PIE root *skei- "to cut, split." Related: Skived; skiving.  Apparently skiving in the sense of avoiding work originated in WW1 military slang...

That dull enough?  :-)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Ian Smeeton said:

Please do.

I would reciprocate by taking shots of all 8 roundabouts in the entire county of Rutland.

Then again, I might try for all 4 sets of traffic lights.

Regards

Ian

https://www.visitdenmark.com/denmark/explore/11-stars-skive-round-abouts-gdk807213 they are actually quite interesting. Tim Jensen, a famous designer created them, and he was the guide. There are themes and stories behind them. This is great for interesting yet dull conversations. A sort of 'stealth' dullness.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Vistisen said:

https://www.visitdenmark.com/denmark/explore/11-stars-skive-round-abouts-gdk807213 they are actually quite interesting. Tim Jensen, a famous designer created them, and he was the guide. There are themes and stories behind them. This is great for interesting yet dull conversations. A sort of 'stealth' dullness.

Far too interesting for the Dull Mens Club.

They are really quite stunning.

Regards

Ian

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

There are those who would maintain that RMweb is the Dull Mens Club....  🙄

It is at best A Dull Mens Club: there are others just as dull and getting competitive about it wouldn't be in the spirit.  Also, we do suffer from moreitis a bit.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/06/2022 at 20:43, RichardT said:

You may sometimes think that what the world need is a little less excitement. In which case The Dull Mens Club (also open to women) may be of interest.

I don't see any mention in the article of Frank Pickle, late of the Dibley Parish Council. I am informed by someone who knows such things that one episode of the programme  had the character being billed in a newspaper as possibly the most boring man in Britain.

Yes, that was fiction - how does that differ from several current newspaper stories?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

do find a tour of Brum on the 11 bus well worth it.. 

When I was very young my grandmother took me to visit a nearby relation who lived on the number 11 route. We set off in the wrong direction. I don’t know how this happened. I don’t think we went all the way round though. I suspect my Gran must have asked for the ticket by price rather than specifying a stop. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, EddieB said:

Forget landscaping and "works of art", just stick one of these on your roundabout!

_3G5A9642.JPG.faab3c291300a2292f55cb6c57ecbf7c.JPG

That's much too exciting for dull men.

You need a stationary engine:

231761456_stationaryengine.thumb.jpg.44bd652e35d5b04c9bdcc042843d0f23.jpg

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

spacer.png

You mock, but in today's Identity obsessed entry to anywhere freak-out, the badge you wear is becoming the "papers please" of the less permissive times of past.

C6T.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2022 at 13:38, EddieB said:

Forget landscaping and "works of art", just stick one of these on your roundabout!

_3G5A9642.JPG.faab3c291300a2292f55cb6c57ecbf7c.JPG

Reminds me of one of these...

image.png.63e2d0c7675e17125ac2cc97a9573e9b.png

A pity the GWR didn't keep any to go on roundabouts!

AND its duller than 201, the wheels wouldn't be painted red and there isn't any motionwork to attract the eye

• Like 3