Red Heat Emergency week of 18th July 2022

• RMweb Gold

Some of our services are starting to be cancelled on advice of network rail, essential ‘critical’ freight only on the Thames valley line 

30/45mph blanket emergency speed restriction for most of the country from 12pm til 8pm 

I won’t lie, I’m hoping my train is cancelled tomorrow as a 66 is no fun in the heat yet alone in the expected extreme heat 

as for home, the cats are already finding shady places to sit and have plenty of water to hand (or paw), can’t wait to get to the caravan next week as that has or industrial sized air conditioning unit in it, absolute bliss when that’s running 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

5 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

Had the "pleasure" of a heat kink like that in Poland back in 2003. The loco actually stayed on the track, our passenger coach didn't.........

3-639.thumb.JPG.856a58c23bcfed954c625d19ee10f1f1.JPG

Classic S shaped curve for a buckle.

One of the dodgy things about them is that you often don't get any warning as they happen or at least get worse under a passing train, which may be one reason why the loco can be OK and the trailing rolling stock derails.

If the rails and ballast have got to their limit in resisting the heat induced compressive force. The last straw can be the up and down movement of the track under a passing train. As each wheel or bogie passes the track is pressed down by the weight on the wheels, conversely at the mid point between the wheels the track lifts sightly. While the pressing down does no harm as it increases the friction between the sleeper bottom and the ballast bed. The upward movement does the reverse and I have seen track lifting and moving sideways a step at a time, under the middles of the wagons of a passing ballast train, this is quite disconcerting to watch, and caused me to start jumping up and down in a quite animated fashion while, shouting and making the French army gesture.

In British Railway practice it is normal to have a raised shoulder of ballast on the outsides of the track, the weight of the raised section of the shoulder helping to compress the ballast adjacent to the sleeper ends, and so increase resistance to lateral movement. This is / was not done so much in continental Europe being regarded as a British eccentricity, however I believe that BR had a lower incidence rate for buckles than most of said foreign Johnie's.

Also such things were only a reportable  buckle if they occurred while the track was open for traffic. If the P-Way looked at a bit of track and thought err that looks like it is starting to shift, rang the box up and blocked the line before the track really moved. The resulting S shape in the rails while looking much like a buckle to the untrained eye, was in fact just an unexciting track distortion that did not have to be officially reported.

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, KingEdwardII said:

A certain level of insanity helps...

Reminds me of a January in Florida - we were all heading into the mall, dressed in T shirts and shorts, since it was about 75F and sunny. We were confronted by a lady dressed in a fur coat. I think she was from New York or similar cold place up north and since it was January, fur coats were mandatory. She must have been toasting.

Religions & historic customs insist on it, especially for the women.

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, KingEdwardII said:

Yup, we had those on our home in Florida. Without those, everyone inside was a mozzie's supper.

Flies during the day, mozzies at night and windows firmly shut unless you have evaporative cooling, otherwise the house gets too hot, too quickly from the searing hot wind. Opening all the windows is counter productive, unless you get a cool breeze, which may or may not occur in the evening. It's a juggling act!

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

Religions & historic customs insist on it, especially for the women.

Hats (or at least a head-covering) maybe, likewise bare arms covered. I don't think there's anything in Corinthians about fur coats. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John M Upton said:

still amazed to see old people dressed in full coat, overcoats and hats Sunday Best!!!  How do they do it?

They're on Warfarin tablets for blood pressure/heart problems. It thins the blood so they feel colder easily.

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

Hats (or at least a head-covering) maybe, likewise bare arms covered. I don't think there's anything in Corinthians about fur coats. 

Obviously you have seen widows from southern European countries. Not fur coats, but covered head to foot in black or other dark colours on occasion.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Just popped into Chichester for some shopping and still amazed to see old people dressed in full coat, overcoats and hats Sunday Best!!!  How do they do it?

Not to mention younger ones in hoodies and such like. Saw a bloke earlier coat and body warmer!

Going to be interesting getting home on Tuesday, looking like if trains don't go to or from London they ain't going!

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, great central said:

Not to mention younger ones in hoodies and such like. Saw a bloke earlier coat and body warmer!

Going to be interesting getting home on Tuesday, looking like if trains don't go to or from London they ain't going!

Don’t say that, our daughter her sisters in law and four kids (or was it five, I lost count) are coming down from Norfolk to Cornwall tomorrow.

I did warn the, it’ll be a slow journey.

12 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Don’t say that, our daughter her sisters in law and four kids (or was it five, I lost count) are coming down from Norfolk to Cornwall tomorrow.

I did warn the, it’ll be a slow journey.

I'm only going from Norfolk to the east Midlands, what I'm finding incredible is the almost total lack of coordinated information. 

Network rail app merely gives a bland 'services may be disrupted' otherwise it shows the normal service pattern in journey planners.

It seems the TOCs may have briefed their local newspapers but, as far as I can find, nothing even to their front line staff!

If those of us inside the industry can't easily find out what's going on, how the hell are mere passengers supposed to cope?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Today's temperature looks like it might have peaked (currently going down). Just 30.2C compared to the forecasted 33C for this area (Worcestershire).

The forecasted 39C for tomorrow looks a tall order.

It's been mostly cloudy today with very little sun and that there was was hazy.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

well here in Crawley next door are not worried about the shortage of water he is power washing his decking while i recycle water to use on the garden 

John 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, jbqfc said:

well here in Crawley next door are not worried about the shortage of water he is power washing his decking while i recycle water to use on the garden 

John 

What shortage of water?  Has there been a warning?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, boxbrownie said:

What shortage of water?  Has there been a warning?

I was thinking today, the lack of hosepipe bans is rather odd, given we've not had a particularly wet Spring round my way.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

I was thinking today, the lack of hosepipe bans is rather odd, given we've not had a particularly wet Spring round my way.

No idea where it’s coming from

then but reservoirs around here have been full for ages, varies with area I guess but seen no warnings.   

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

No bans as such but asking people not to use such things as hosepipes.

I've heard it a couple of times on the news

We had someone yesterday, all day, pressure washing something.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oddly just as I am posting this we have had thunder in the distance, appears to be south of us off the coast a bit, still blue skies and sunny here though, but at least nice and cool now

Edited by boxbrownie

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, melmerby said:

No bans as such but asking people not to use such things as hosepipes.

I've heard it a couple of times on the news

We had someone yesterday, all day, pressure washing something.

OK not seen anything or heard on R4 at all.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Oddly just as I am posting this we have had thunder in the distance, appears to be south of us off the coast a bit, still blue skies and sunny here though, but at least nice and cool now

Lightning recorded NW of Plymouth in the last hour

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

OK not seen anything or heard on R4 at all.

I've had two texts from Severn Trent asking us not to use hoses, pressure washers and the like.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1