Hattons pre-owned items

GWR-fan

2 hours ago, MattR said:

Very strange ! 69089 (LNER 9089) was indeed an N12 -- or at least was going to be 69089. It was withdrawn in March 1948 before it ever ran under its BR number.

My 1958 Observer's Book was 10 years too late then 😁!

I saw this early this morning and was surprised that the store did not pickup that a Bachmann chassis had been fitted to the Mainline locomotive as they could have asked another GBP20.00 or so.  Apparently some one else also noticed it as it is now sold out.  Apart from missing the vacuum pump piston rod (like many such models) and a small mark on the R/H tender side it looks mint.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklistdatabase/stockdetail?sid=1466547

Edited by GWR-fan
Additional information

I hope it's OK to turn the clock back about 6 years or so, as I've just found these two images I saved back then because I thought my screen had developed a fault!

This is what happens when one runs out of masking tape and decides to get stuck in anyway on getting back from the pub.......🤣!

HowNotToRepaintAModel1.jpg.6061353789edf09ed188ce01c248417a.jpg

HowNotToRepaintAModel2.jpg.2dd98172a64ad8f6225e507b976b2910.jpg

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Halvarras said:

Wow! OK, I realise there won't be many mint boxed ones about but even so.........just, wow!

https://www.hattons.co.uk/1482643/hornby_r9292_po05_thomas_and_friends_4_6_0_no_3_henry_the_green_engine_pre_owned_good_box/stockdetail

Hatton's pricing tends to be somewhat "enigmatic" at times, but that does seem a bit steep doesn't it!

However, I think there were considerably fewer of the larger TTTE locos produced compared with basic Thomas and Percy, and there's a lot more to get broken on them.

They will therefore have a certain rarity value for collectors even before taking "playroom attrition" into account!  

John

• RMweb Premium

With Hattons, certain items seem to attract a madness where the content condition is irrelevant, it could be bent, crushed and burnt out but if it has a good box, that will be another fifty quid please...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

With Hattons, certain items seem to attract a madness where the content condition is irrelevant, it could be bent, crushed and burnt out but if it has a good box, that will be another fifty quid please...

Been there.  A Janus in NCB livery described as like new,  apparently the box was mint.  When received the loco was a basket case with most handrails missing or broken, two chassis screws missing, underframe detail adrift and the loco ran reverse polarity.   But for the fact it was a faultless runner it would have gone back.  The store offered compensation (basically the cost of return postage).  Because of the box condition the loco was not removed from its packaging for inspection and so flew under the radar.   Rating box condition as the main criteria to determine a model's condition is a very flawed process.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Been there.  A Janus in NCB livery described as like new,  apparently the box was mint.  When received the loco was a basket case with most handrails missing or broken, two chassis screws missing, underframe detail adrift and the loco ran reverse polarity.   But for the fact it was a faultless runner it would have gone back.  The store offered compensation (basically the cost of return postage).  Because of the box condition the loco was not removed from its packaging for inspection and so flew under the radar.   Rating box condition as the main criteria to determine a model's condition is a very flawed process.

Agreed, but, conversely, I've bought items in scuffed boxes that turned out to be mint, and which had apparently not been inspected either.

I was clearly the first person to disturb the internal packaging.

Fortunately for me, the asking price had evidently been influenced by the condition of the box.....😃

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

13 hours ago, Respite said:

What never ceases to amaze me with Hattons pre owned items (and Rails) is the number of faults/bits missing with them.
Steam locos missing a chimney is a frequent issue.

And you often see Heljan diesels missing a bogie sideframe (or two). How the previous owner has managed to lose a component of this size baffles me too. Of course Heljan's largely 'glue-less' assembly methods have a lot to do with it - underframe tanks/battery boxes are often 'supplied separately', probably minus some or all of the locating clips. 

Unfortunately our demands for ever more accurate RTR models can only be met by more and more separately-applied parts and the 'decorate then assemble' sequence at the factory requires the minimum use of glue to avoid marking the finish - and not quite enough glue leaves parts vulnerable to being knocked off. When it happens to my models and I don't want to fix it there and then I put the loose bits in a small 'zip bag' (assuming the carpet monster hasn't eaten them) so I know where they are. A pity those sending items to Hattons don't do the same.....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Halvarras said:

And you often see Heljan diesels missing a bogie sideframe (or two). How the previous owner has managed to lose a component of this size baffles me too. Of course Heljan's largely 'glue-less' assembly methods have a lot to do with it - underframe tanks/battery boxes are often 'supplied separately', probably minus some or all of the locating clips. 

Unfortunately our demands for ever more accurate RTR models can only be met by more and more separately-applied parts and the 'decorate then assemble' sequence at the factory requires the minimum use of glue to avoid marking the finish - and not quite enough glue leaves parts vulnerable to being knocked off. When it happens to my models and I don't want to fix it there and then I put the loose bits in a small 'zip bag' (assuming the carpet monster hasn't eaten them) so I know where they are. A pity those sending items to Hattons don't do the same.....

I believe quite a lot of second hand sent to Hattons et-al are often from people clearing out deceased relatives belongings and many have not a clue what should and shouldn't be in a box.

Just gather it all up, chuck it in a box and get rid of it.

Quick cash is often the aim, the actual state of the "grandads silly old toy trains" is immaterial. 

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

They seem to have cornered the market for supplying bits to repair those basketcase Heljan Garratts presumably because everyone sold them their broken ones 😂 valve gear fallen apart? That will be 75 pounds please. (More than 10 available)

Edited by Sjcm

• RMweb Premium
On 07/09/2023 at 21:27, John M Upton said:

I believe quite a lot of second hand sent to Hattons et-al are often from people clearing out deceased relatives belongings and many have not a clue what should and shouldn't be in a box.

Quick cash is often the aim, the actual state of the "grandads silly old toy trains" is immaterial. 

I've sent quite a lot of decent condition stuff to Hattons in the last 3 months. Some were a clearout, some were genuine selling to Hattons.

For the good stuff (good Heljan, Hornby locos) I've nearly always got a competitive offer & paid within the same day as it arriving at Hattons' site.

• RMweb Premium
On 08/09/2023 at 04:27, John M Upton said:

When we get to a certain age it's probably worth making a note of the things we''ll leave behind and some basic advice to help our heirs so they don't give stuff away on a mistaken assumption it's worth peanuts. Most models aren't the faberge eggs we might want to believe, but a collection may well be worth a tidy sum even if looking for a quick sale to a second hand dealer. Of course if our heirs want to give it away or bin it then that's their choice, and if they make an informed choice to donate it to a charity who can try and sell it for their benefit all well and good but at least they make that choice. I haven't reached that point (I'm 53 this month) but every now and then I do think that if anything should happen to me I'd like Mrs JJB to sell my HO brass for a price which would give her some benefit rather than throwing it away as just toy trains.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 15/09/2023 at 17:58, irishmail said:

Had another look at the Lima listings on Hatton's and it is now £52.00 rather than £267.00, does that make it a 'bargin' now?  :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, irishmail said:

Had another look at the Lima listings on Hatton's and it is now £52.00 rather than £267.00, does that make it a 'bargin' now?  :)

Considering the jaunty angle the powered vehicle is sitting at, not really. What kind of structural defect lurks within?

Umm.....I'm having trouble reconciling the state of this with the price being asked.....

https://www.hattons.co.uk/1495618/hornby_r3842_po05_class_w1_hush_hush_4_6_4_10000_in_lner_apple_green_pre_owned_sold_as_seen_non/stockdetail

Edit - ah sorry, it comes in a very good box. So that's OK then.....

Edited by Halvarras
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1