RMweb

Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

Well observed. I’m no expert on detail but it always struck me that ViTrains did a better job on the front windows than Bachmann.

Completely agree with your observation on this - once laserglazed the VITrains one looked a lot better than the old Bachmann one. 

Saying that the new Bachmann one has nailed the windscreen area, and I’m certainly in the camp of paying extra to have this spot on. I think Laserglaze would help further improve this area, but I’d much rather have separate noses to have this area spot on and not need to cut the front off and apply Brian’s etches!

Looking forward to more 37s over the coming months.

Kind regards,

Will

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Southwich said:

Completely agree with your observation on this - once laserglazed the VITrains one looked a lot better than the old Bachmann one. 

Saying that the new Bachmann one has nailed the windscreen area, and I’m certainly in the camp of paying extra to have this spot on. I think Laserglaze would help further improve this area, but I’d much rather have separate noses to have this area spot on and not need to cut the front off and apply Brian’s etches!

Looking forward to more 37s over the coming months.

Kind regards,

Will

The Shawplan etched windscreens made a world of difference to the Vi 37. It'll also pull a small family car along if you were to hitch one up.

DSCF0526.thumb.JPG.c51df8d17b656f9786cacf7ebc9b82ad.JPG

• Like 1

I always felt something wasn’t quite right around the cantrails on the Vi 37 - seemed flat across the grills. Agree that windscreen area was better and good haulage if a bit on the slow side.  I have quite a few Vis and old Bach 37s and they sit ok together - whether the new Bach / Accurascale 37s will start to show them up - time will tell. Strictly I don’t need any more 37s so should be fine… but that’s never stopped me before.

M

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

The Shawplan etched windscreens made a world of difference to the Vi 37. It'll also pull a small family car along if you were to hitch one up.

DSCF0526.thumb.JPG.c51df8d17b656f9786cacf7ebc9b82ad.JPG

You’ve done a nice job on them but IMO the VITrains 37 doesn’t need Brian’s etches - just LaserGlaze. 

Here was my first attempt using a VITrains tractor with LaserGaze:

1782F44C-2B08-4EDA-84C9-91D153CA7121.jpeg.38f08b6c8f1fcd9098a136412d627145.jpeg

Back on topic - a quick desk pic of the two new ones - this area is much nicer on the new one I think (although probably would benefit from some new glazing):

9750FBDE-BBF3-4022-AD1D-7447B5A0361F.jpeg.6094a54185d7595fb43c51796a715e01.jpeg

Looking forward to converting these to P4 and weathering them!

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Southwich said:

You’ve done a nice job on them but IMO the VITrains 37 doesn’t need Brian’s etches - just LaserGlaze. 

Here was my first attempt using a VITrains tractor with LaserGaze:

1782F44C-2B08-4EDA-84C9-91D153CA7121.jpeg.38f08b6c8f1fcd9098a136412d627145.jpeg

Back on topic - a quick desk pic of the two new ones - this area is much nicer on the new one I think (although probably would benefit from some new glazing):

9750FBDE-BBF3-4022-AD1D-7447B5A0361F.jpeg.6094a54185d7595fb43c51796a715e01.jpeg

Looking forward to converting these to P4 and weathering them!

Kind regards,

Will

Would agree, the new Bach has the front cab window shape/size much better, the glazing rubbers being on the body also help.  The factory prism glazing rather spoils it all, .....Laserglaze would finish it off very nicely !

Edited by tractor_37260
amend text
  • Like 1

Can someone who has a Sound Fitted, Deluxe (i.e. working fans/tinted windows) model of the Bachmann Collector's Club EWS 37422 'Cardiff Canton' please let me know the actual part number shown on the end of the box and whether the certificate mentions the Deluxe version (and not just Sound Fitted)?

I cannot find an unboxing video or photos of the box of this particular version of the EWS 37422 model, which would probably answer my concerns in one go.

Thanks,

Ixion.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 97403_Ixion said:

please let me know the actual part number shown on the end of the box 

The Collectors Club website gives the model numbers thus: 

981243660_Screenshot2022-08-07010059.jpg.07fe3af4e0e5c7158b22c5aaeaa4bf4b.jpg

Can't help re your other question.

42 minutes ago, Scottish-Exile said:

The Collectors Club website gives the model numbers thus: 

981243660_Screenshot2022-08-07010059.jpg.07fe3af4e0e5c7158b22c5aaeaa4bf4b.jpg

Can't help re your other question.

Thanks Scottish Exile for the comment but the problem stems from whether the real boxes (just mine, some or none) are labelled correctly or not... and that includes the certificate too.

I suspect they are correct however and that instead there has been a mistake made on the item version sent, despite paying for the more expensive model.  I haven't opened the box up too much or operated it to check fan operation, in case it needs to go back but the windows do not seem to have a tint on closer inspection, so not looking good, sadly.

On 05/08/2022 at 14:01, curlypaws said:

I'm very pleased with the appearance of 37 422 in EWS Red & Gold. The groaning noise when it moves is less endearing though. Will need to check that it has some lubrication from the factory.

Mine groaned louder than it's sound chip!! It was replaced

• Thanks 1

Very interesting and useful comments and piccies in this thread.  Thanks to all the contributors.

I agree that the "face" of the new 37 is subtly much improved with the windscreens setting it off. Sadly the windscreens on the Bachmann Mk2 class 40 are what lets it down, although I have a pair and happy with all other aspects of the model.

Up until last week I was content to wait for the Accurascale second series of releases with the unannounced South Wales GSYP batches in it. However the Bachmann release could be a gamechanger.  I favour Accurascale over Bachmann but right now it depends who produces the goods for us first. Accurascale have chosen so far to release practically every version of class 37 model  apart from 37120-37308 in as built condition - ie glass headcodes. Obviously it is their business model and I wish them every success.  I also think the innovative lift off roof for access to the decoder is a big plus too. 

As regards Bachmann class 37 iterations, I agree the latest release is now version 5.

Cannot remember them all but IIRC version 1 had the cutout between the buffers a little awry.

Did version 1 and version 2 have all three windscreens along the same plane ?

Version 3 lost the "trenches" around the centre of the skirts and had the panel lines sticking out instead.

Version 4 corrected that and other things. 

IIRC the blue 37238 that I had was the "trenchless" version 3 shell.  

Edited by Covkid
More text
  • Like 2

After the experience of the Accurascale  Deltics, apart from bits falling off on one of them, the bogie chains are just plain badly thought out in my view, hence I have ordered the plain Blue Bachmann  even though its a bit more expensive. 

The blue one with the bufferbeam cowels would potentially be a purchase but it would need plated head code boxes. I’m chewing it over as I would need to get headcode box plates. However I haven’t seen any listed anywhere. Any ideas folks?

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, 40002 said:

After the experience of the Accurascale  Deltics, apart from bits falling off on one of them, the bogie chains are just plain badly thought out in my view, hence I have ordered the plain Blue Bachmann  even though its a bit more expensive. 

the accurascale 37 has already been shown to not have body mounted chains if that helps. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, McC said:

the accurascale 37 has already been shown to not have body mounted chains if that helps. 

The Bachmann 37's chains are quite easy to dislodge if you're handling the loco to apply the detail as I found out. Time will tell if they stay in place over the life of the loco, but I'm quite happy to remove them if they become troublesome.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marcoblanco said:

Ok thanks,yes I tried this out but it seems to override the deceleration cv's and causes sudden ,unrealistic stop . First world problems eh lol

How do you expect to get 'Brake Squeal' if you don't apply the brakes?

With the CVs set at the project default, using the brake key, (F2) will not bring the loco to a sudden stop unless either the value in CV4 has been reduced or the F key 2 is 'latched on', or both.

Paul

• Funny 1

6 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

The blue one with the bufferbeam cowels would potentially be a purchase but it would need plated head code boxes. I’m chewing it over as I would need to get headcode box plates. However I haven’t seen any listed anywhere. Any ideas folks?

Shawplan supplies 37/40 split box plated etches

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Covkid said:

Very interesting and useful comments and piccies in this thread.  Thanks to all the contributors.

I agree that the "face" of the new 37 is subtly much improved with the windscreens setting it off. Sadly the windscreens on the Bachmann Mk2 class 40 are what lets it down, although I have a pair and happy with all other aspects of the model.

Up until last week I was content to wait for the Accurascale second series of releases with the unannounced South Wales GSYP batches in it. However the Bachmann release could be a gamechanger.  I favour Accurascale over Bachmann but right now it depends who produces the goods for us first. Accurascale have chosen so far to release practically every version of class 37 model  apart from 37120-37308 in as built condition - ie glass headcodes. Obviously it is their business model and I wish them every success.  I also think the innovative lift off roof for access to the decoder is a big plus too. 

As regards Bachmann class 37 iterations, I agree the latest release is now version 5.

Cannot remember them all but IIRC version 1 had the cutout between the buffers a little awry.

Did version 1 and version 2 have all three windscreens along the same plane ?

Version 3 lost the "trenches" around the centre of the skirts and had the panel lines sticking out instead.

Version 4 corrected that and other things. 

IIRC the blue 37238 that I had was the "trenchless" version 3 shell.  

Here's a blue split headcode version 1, bought by me when it came out.

IMG_20220805_182846.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

That was version 2. The only one to date without removable noses. 

It was the very first split headcode blue one Bachmann issued, so which was version 1? (Possibly a post-privatisation livery?). I had one each of the centre headcode and split headcode versions plus the Kernow edition 37 142, all bought on release as the first Bachmann 37s in the livery I wanted. These are the no-lights 8 pin DCC socket fitted ones with the front four wheels on each bogie driven.