Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

22 minutes ago, Nick-L said:

People aren’t forgetting it…….

Bachmann have got the windscreen spot on in my view whereas the other one looks wrong in a number of areas around the windscreen and the fit on all samples I have seen is poor.  This one is from Warley. Of course the old “it’s a hand made” sample defence will likely be trotted out but this late in the day I’d expect a bang on production sample. So, I have to say I agree with Daddyman.

33DAAD9F-8BA4-45A1-8E60-127A1F96471D.jpeg

I cannot see that being the final fit in a million years. You can see the ridge in the real 419 in my snip of my pic below, and I expect the finished product will be more like that than the sample model linked above.

Having revisited the original unpainted sample pics of the AS tractors I suspect we are going to be spoilt for choice going forward. If you’re an 80s or 90s or most of the 00s you can have a Bachmann 37/4 and for modern 37/4’s you’ve got a choice… similarly with the split box 37/0s. Will the Bachmann new announcements bring anymore joy for us tomorrow I wonder?

Bachmann just need to sort the 40 now 🤭

8484F18F-B756-41FC-93D0-47A32AD782DF.jpeg

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, cairnsroadworks said:

I cannot see that being the final fit in a million years. You can see the ridge in the real 419 in my snip of my pic below, and I expect the finished product will be more like that than the sample model linked above.

Having revisited the original unpainted sample pics of the AS tractors I suspect we are going to be spoilt for choice going forward. If you’re an 80s or 90s or most of the 00s you can have a Bachmann 37/4 and for modern 37/4’s you’ve got a choice… similarly with the split box 37/0s. Will the Bachmann new announcements bring anymore joy for us tomorrow I wonder?

Bachmann just need to sort the 40 now 🤭

8484F18F-B756-41FC-93D0-47A32AD782DF.jpeg

Just to remind how much Bachmann have nailed them though!

CC103986-CF0C-4C32-9F92-36C76366250A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I think it all boils down to the difference between witnessing the product going through the development process, or just seeing the finished product being released after all the development work has been completed. It is perhaps a little unfortunate that Bachmann released their updated 37 whilst the Accurascale one was being firmed up, but let’s see how it all ends. Accurascale have been quite open about the tooling being refined for fit and finished all along. Plus the 92s are amazing, and the Deltics actually look properly like the Deltics for the first time ever in 4mm.

I don’t think we’ll be wanting for decent 37s for a long time. Now, how about doing the same with the class 40?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 97406 said:

I think it all boils down to the difference between witnessing the product going through the development process, or just seeing the finished product being released after all the development work has been completed. It is perhaps a little unfortunate that Bachmann released their updated 37 whilst the Accurascale one was being firmed up, but let’s see how it all ends. Accurascale have been quite open about the tooling being refined for fit and finished all along. Plus the 92s are amazing, and the Deltics actually look properly like the Deltics for the first time ever in 4mm.

I don’t think we’ll be wanting for decent 37s for a long time. Now, how about doing the same with the class 40?

The 92 is the best RTR loco to date in my view. The Deltic is great too. 

And yes agree re the 40, as I mentioned too. They’ve done all that research, may as well get their moneys worth. 

Edited by cairnsroadworks
Missed a bit
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

And providing they sit flush… these look pretty great to my eyes too. 

2FD36A3E-2166-4AF1-A9C9-9FF581042C81.jpeg

No need to tell us that is the AS one. There are snowploughs fitted at the same time as the rest of the detail pack!

But what you say sorta makes the point. Separate nose ends or windscreen, the execution is going to be the separating factor not the principle.

• Like 3

Just now, cairnsroadworks said:

The 92 is the best RTR loco to date in my view. The Deltic is great too. 

I agree, in OO at least.

I expect the 92 to be better than the 37 actually, not the 37s fault but because it shouldn't have two pantographs....

The Deltic I think sits around the level of the best of the rest, the 92 for me takes some lessons learned on the 55 and then some.

Back on the subject of the Bachmann 37, it's only a snowplough and a QC issue or two from being up there with the best though.

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Just for clarification (and I hate commenting on another manufacturers channel, but I guess a member of another manufacturer kicked off the debate on this thread too) the samples we have shown off to date, and the one referenced above, ARE the first decorative samples received over 12 months ago and feedback on the refining of these windows was top of the list fed back to the factory. Factory samples are due in February which will show the improvement and they will be the ones to judge.

Anyway, that’s enough from me and hope a clarification isn’t seen in poor form on this thread.

Cheers!

Fran

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

Were you just making sure with 12?

The AS guys mentioned it may be sometime before another run, and I’m impatient, so I got some extras for reworking. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

6 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Just for clarification (and I hate commenting on another manufacturers channel, but I guess a member of another manufacturer kicked off the debate on this thread too) the samples we have shown off to date, and the one referenced above, ARE the first decorative samples received over 12 months ago and feedback on the refining of these windows was top of the list fed back to the factory. Factory samples are due in February which will show the improvement and they will be the ones to judge.

Anyway, that’s enough from me and hope a clarification isn’t seen in poor form on this thread.

Cheers!

Fran

Thanks Fran. Can’t wait to see them. My colours aren’t nailed to any masts, I am loving having the new tractors from Bachmann to play with and very much looking forward to yours too. 

15 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Cheers!

Fran

Great to see engagement as always Fran and to hear the other side of the story. I posted a photo of my 37 as a modeller, and those that know me know I’m rather passionate about the subject, so I think the comment about kicking off the debate is a bit over the top (I have no involvement other than my dad being a director and helping at shows - I wish I was involved!)

Regarding the model I think all of the previous comments have been fair, and when asked on the DEMU forum I have said there are many positives of your model over the Bachmann model (sound, ploughs, lack of nose join). However, the windscreen area is a very clear winner for Bachmann as Andy has very clearly shown from photos, I’ve asked someone to measure the prototype to illustrate my points with clear facts and measurements to compare when both production models hit the shelves.

I’d love for your model to rectify this area (I know a few others have fed this back to Gareth), but for me I’ll take separate noses that I can fill, over separate windscreens that will take significantly more work. If you do sort this area I think I’d certainly be switching my models to reflect this, but currently the windscreens don’t capture the distinctive look of the 37 in my opinion. 

Are you able to provide more information on the tweaks made? Or is it just with regards to to fitting of the separate part? 

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Southwich said:

However, the windscreen area is a very clear winner for Bachmann as Andy has very clearly shown from photos…

Given we are yet to see a production run 37 from Accurascale, what evidence do you have to support that statement? You have to compare like for like. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Whilst not wishing to jump in two footed I do have a couple of issues with the new Bachmann 37. It’s quite light (not easy to fix) and the sound file for want of a better word is “crap”, at least it is on a V5 decoder though! Bring on my AS 37’s.

The new 47 was a much better all round effort for me.

32 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Given we are yet to see a production run 37 from Accurascale, what evidence do you have to support that statement? You have to compare like for like. 

Roy

Hi Roy,

The photos Andi posted previously that you quoted my response to were of the pre-production Bachmann version at DEMU showcase, so comparing the two samples is comparing like for like. 

As I mentioned previously, I’m in the process of arranging a real 37 to be measured then I can 100% definitely say which is correct when both production versions appear, however comparing the photos earlier in the thread my point still stands at this moment in time. I’m sure someone more tech savvy than myself can knock up a three way comparison photo between the two models and the prototype for everyone to see this.

Hopefully Fran can clarify exactly what is being tweaked for production as if the windscreens are done to the standard of the Bachmann one then I’ll be buying those as well! 

Having tinkered with 37s for years, please feel free to view my work below, which I’ve gone into the cons of the Bachmann model and the areas that need improvement that wouldn’t necessarily need doing on the Accurascale model. 

I’ve spend hours detailing my model of 37114 and thought it would be useful for others to view the art of the possible in trying to create as good a model as possible, and as a modeller that’s the perspective I will always see things from.

Who doesn’t love a load of 37 chat late at night!

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I must admit that I flinch at the thought of working on and changing such an expensive model, with the possible exception of Laserglaze. Some great work from those that have taken the plunge though. 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Southwich said:

Hi Roy,

The photos Andi posted previously that you quoted my response to were of the pre-production Bachmann version at DEMU showcase, so comparing the two samples is comparing like for like. 

Hi Will,

I still don’t see that we can say for certain what is being compared. The Accurascale photos are of a first EP, the Bachmann photos are of what? A first EP, second EP, final pre-production version? I think the latter, which we have not seen for Accurascale. 

For me until we have production versions of both, I won’t be making any statements as to which is better in which area. To do so is unfair to both Bachmann and Accurascale. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typos - broke my reading glasses:-(
  • Like 1
  • Agree 8

On 30/01/2023 at 23:32, Southwich said:

A few shots of my tarted up Bachmann tractor to be done as 37114 in EWS:

41B0C4BE-A0BD-41E7-999C-08A9D0F6A47F.jpeg.f0ab1d8e09715fb286ecdf62c71d9dad.jpeg

24C2AE1F-9DBB-4D66-A9B7-508829291027.jpeg.8d14e84d4285ec22bc238821e43f3358.jpeg

F2BC96D2-B3A9-4E0B-BE1E-1CAE537811D2.jpeg.56d85b86326119fb218b14242eb0a6e0.jpeg

A full list of mods can be found on my workbench thread, but in terms of providing a basis for the ultimate 4mm tractor, I don’t think you’ll beat this model.

Kind regards,

Will

Thank you for posting this blog. I was thinking about buying one of the new Bachmann Class 37s but seeing it needs all this work to look right has put me right off it. I just cant be doing with all that extra work. I was torn between a 37/4 and another Hornby 60, but I know the 60 is good so I will order that instead. 

Hi Roy, I don't think that Will was comparing Accurascale's 1st EP's. He was looking at the latest painted pre-production samples from both manufacturers.

He has compared the two models with the prototype and as things currently stand believes the Bachmann front windows appear to capture the prototype better. I will reserve judgement for the final Accurascale model to arrive as I am not as drilled into 37's as Will is, it borders on obsession tbh, and I am not in a hurry to buy one from anyone, however Will's observations are not without merit.

Whilst here I would like to also ask Steve McCarron of Accurascale what was so funny about Wills previous explanation as to why he thinks the Bachmann model was a better basis for his model?

Will replied in a professional and concise manner and presented his facts based on the current information that he has available. He also cited positives towards your model as well and asked what had been done to rectify his concerns regarding the window tooling on your 37.

Whilst he does help out with our company at shows and social media from time to time that has no baring whatsoever on the points discussed in this thread and I don't know why that was even brought up.

As anyone that knows Me, Alex or Will can testify we are all avid modellers in our own right and it will be a sad day when we are no longer allowed to show our work and discuss the choices that we make to create our art without leaving our business interests at the door.

I can only assume that the laughing emoji is to signify that you think that Will's opinion is laughable, which quite frankly is disrespectful to him as a modeller, and  looking at the evidence so far is far from the case. 

I would suggest moving forward on this thread we discuss the merits of the Bachmann 37 compared to the prototype and not fall into manufacturer comparisons that appear to create conflict where none is necessary. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

It will be interesting to see how easy it is to remove the steam heat boiler from D6710, though there will be associated vent pipes etc too.  I'm picky so need those at Thornaby in the early days, the Vulcan built options being D6755-D6768