Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

very nice EWS loco .

Im hoping eventually either bachy or accura do some on the original EWS red before they kinda faded to maroon 

There is that Collector’s Club new Bachmann 37422. It’s EWS rather than E W & S but it does look the business.

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

very nice EWS loco .

Im hoping eventually either bachy or accura do some on the original EWS red before they kinda faded to maroon 

What do you mean by the original EWS red? The colour didn’t change, it always looked very different on film back in the day. I remember seeing 419 for the first time and was surprised how dark it was 😂

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

What do you mean by the original EWS red? The colour didn’t change, it always looked very different on film back in the day. I remember seeing 419 for the first time and was surprised how dark it was 😂

Back in the day ?

Thats only 30 years ago.

Funny thing is in 1993 folk around me were saying the same thing about BR Steam, and thats was 30 years ago then.

Edited by adb968008
Edit, 25 for 30, its a tad longer than I thought, Covids 3 years ago already
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Back in the day ?

Thats only 30 years ago.

Funny thing is in 1993 folk around me were saying the same thing about BR Steam, and thats was 30 years ago then.

Mad isn’t it. Almost 20 years since the EWS 37/4s finished on the sleeper, to keep it vaguely on topic 😂

I saw in the latest bulletin from Westhill Wagon Works that they are doing plough / magnetic couplings for several Bachmann models including new 37 - will be interested to give them a try.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm wondering about commissioning someone to produce some 3D printed snowploughs for the 37. A/S may produce them as spares, but  they seem undecided, and anyway I'm not convinced by theirs: in some shots they look too wide (body width rather than bufferbeam width), with clumsy uprights on the centre plough. I suppose I could have examined the ones on the loco I bought, but I was, um, keen to get it on to the secondhand market, if you know what I mean. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

with clumsy uprights on the centre plough.

Presumable you're talking about the "clumsy uprights" on this model?  😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

37 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

I'm wondering about commissioning someone to produce some 3D printed snowploughs for the 37. A/S may produce them as spares, but  they seem undecided, and anyway I'm not convinced by theirs: in some shots they look too wide (body width rather than bufferbeam width), with clumsy uprights on the centre plough. I suppose I could have examined the ones on the loco I bought, but I was, um, keen to get it on to the secondhand market, if you know what I mean. 

I agree. Personally I'd prefer an etch which'll have more finese.... with a design that allows the middle part of the plough left off

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

I agree. Personally I'd prefer an etch which'll have more finese.... with a design that allows the middle part of the plough left off

Agreed - but just not etched in 5 thou with half-etched folds! The person I'm thinking of could also do an etch, and he's reliable too: 6-8 weeks last time I used him. Now, does anyone have dimensions? 

22 hours ago, Daddyman said:

I’d be well up for half dozen of those at least, as would a lot of others I suspect !

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, meanach said:

I’d be well up for half dozen of those at least, as would a lot of others I suspect !

Yes, I'd just need to work out whether I'm happy paying the (moderate) development costs for something that goes on general sale. But the bigger issue might be the dimensions: my go-to ploughs, original H@#jan 47, are wrong on the centre one, as (to my eye) are the PH ones. 

• Like 1

This is 37430 on its way to becoming 37401. I contemplated 37424 but I can never do justice to the cant rail, maybe my AS37409 for that if I can summon the courage to do the engine room window. For this the numbers came off easily with a cocktail stick. The noses prised off pretty well. The major work is on those noses - tail lamps and additional connector to go in - I thought about the transfer for the connector but I like the idea of modelling one!

IMG_1112.jpeg.768c7de091a4d62487f075b63073a7c9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, LMSfan72 said:

This is 37430 on its way to becoming 37401. I contemplated 37424 but I can never do justice to the cant rail, maybe my AS37409 for that if I can summon the courage to do the engine room window. For this the numbers came off easily with a cocktail stick. The noses prised off pretty well. The major work is on those noses - tail lamps and additional connector to go in - I thought about the transfer for the connector but I like the idea of modelling one!

IMG_1112.jpeg.768c7de091a4d62487f075b63073a7c9.jpeg

noses prepared

image.jpg.556e12a9bba297cc5ba8bd8545ab93d2.jpg

next photo will be the finished one (I hope!!)

• Like 5

On 29/08/2023 at 09:47, cairnsroadworks said:

Looking good. At least you’ve no excuse to do 3D printed noses for the new model now 😜😜😜

Well I did find the nose aerial and fuel tank fitting to print as well as the ETH connector!

The finished conversion, although I still might paint the head code panel black as I think that’s what the prototype wears today:

IMG_1151.jpeg.eeb37d61250602b198b0ee9742f9fc86.jpeg

IMG_1150.jpeg.61c83684cff45ca93a0c5c03fe850947.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, LMSfan72 said:

Well I did find the nose aerial and fuel tank fitting to print as well as the ETH connector!

The finished conversion, although I still might paint the head code panel black as I think that’s what the prototype wears today:

IMG_1151.jpeg.eeb37d61250602b198b0ee9742f9fc86.jpeg

IMG_1150.jpeg.61c83684cff45ca93a0c5c03fe850947.jpeg

Looking good. Are you going to attempt the reinforced windows?

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, cairnsroadworks said:

With a set of Shawplan etches it's not too difficult, just a lot of care when cutting off the original frames to ensure that you dont damage the surround.   Thankfully I only needed to do the centre windows when I did 37521.  

1 hour ago, cairnsroadworks said:

34 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

With a set of Shawplan etches it's not too difficult, just a lot of care when cutting off the original frames to ensure that you dont damage the surround.   Thankfully I only needed to do the centre windows when I did 37521.  

I think I'm going to leave alone for now. I really struggle to see it with the lighting on my layout!