Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

On 05/12/2023 at 15:29, BR(S) said:

I've posted this in the DCC forum, but thought it might be useful here too. 

I purchased a Bachmann 35-303, 37 305 in BR blue.  Tested it with the Bachmann Plux22 decoder 36-570 and it had a problem with the marker and tail lights on both ends being lit all at once, with no ability to operate them independently.  There is a note in the Class 37 manual that when using 36-570 instead of 36-570A, three CVs need altering, but one has been misprinted; CV123 should be 124.  All other CVs and their values are as written and reprogramming them allows the lights to work correctly with the 36-570 decoder.

This was my first of the revamped Bachmann 37s and I'm very happy with it, especially as the detachable nose front area fits perfectly, which I found to be a weak point on previous versions.

Very useful ! I bought a none sound decoder as a test decoder and have that exact problem. I changed the C.V and it’s still the same, so thanks very much for sharing. As for the noses , I’ve bought 9 so far and some are better fitting than others. The 37260 batch seem particularly good and the earlier 37430 batch the worst. 

8 minutes ago, Legend said:

I see Model Railways Direct have them now at 50% off. Shows the power of competition . I think they are just under £125 for the basic version . Seem to be selling fast 

thats a cracking price for those, not a surprise they're selling fast. Seems odd having such a big discount on DCC Ready versions when the DCC Sound and DCC Sound Deluxe are just at the normal 15% off. I think they're trying to soak up as much demand from their new 37s tooling before Accurascale can ramp up production too

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, GordonC said:

thats a cracking price for those, not a surprise they're selling fast. Seems odd having such a big discount on DCC Ready versions when the DCC Sound and DCC Sound Deluxe are just at the normal 15% off. I think they're trying to soak up as much demand from their new 37s tooling before Accurascale can ramp up production too

No, the SFX and SF versions are also slashed. £175 in some cases.

Rob . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

No, the SFX and SF versions are also slashed. £175 in some cases.

Rob . 

ah, some of the earlier releases are included - it was the more recent releases I was looking at (37260, 37371) where DCC Ready was at 50% but SF and SFX versions weren't.

Both the recent 37s are lovely models overall - both have their pluses and minuses. Sadly too much on market at once I fear resulting in these prices. I do have a bunch already but these prices have given opportunities to stock up on some additional for renumbering projects.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Matt said:

Both the recent 37s are lovely models overall - both have their pluses and minuses. Sadly too much on market at once I fear resulting in these prices. I do have a bunch already but these prices have given opportunities to stock up on some additional for renumbering projects.

I dont think that'll be the last of big reductions we've seen. I think there's too much stock on the market sitting around on shelves in general so I wouldn't be surprised if there were more big sales sooner or later

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I’ve been debating buying a sound one all day but missed the boat.  Now debating a non sound. 

Just can’t decide what I would actually refinish it as.  If there had been a Dutch liveried loco in the offer I’d have already hit buy….

in the mean time I’ve been finishing 37674 rebuilt from the large logo /4IMG_8864.jpeg.d8c019da45cbc4af6396ace03970eb3b.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Both Rails and TMC have had and still have 37's at these prices for a while now - i fact my GSYP SFX from TMC was £5 cheaper. Worth looking around if you need a sound fitted one. 

Others have been doing sound fitted at £170?  The best I’ve seen is non sound at about the 150 mark

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Both Rails and TMC have had and still have 37's at these prices for a while now - i fact my GSYP SFX from TMC was £5 cheaper. Worth looking around if you need a sound fitted one. 

To be clear, Model Railways Direct were selling the SFX versions of the 37s for £184.95. Discounted retail is normally between £299.95 and £320.95. RRP is £374.95 from Bachmann. 

Rob. 

I must confess that I double-took when I saw the offer prices. There are only a few left now.

I tried to order the SFX version of D6829 from MRD yesterday, but the website kept throwing an error every time I went to add it to my basket (despite one being left in stock) - "The requested qty is unavailable". Oh well, never mind.

Edited by AForce

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

To be clear, Model Railways Direct were selling the SFX versions of the 37s for £184.95. Discounted retail is normally between £299.95 and £320.95. RRP is £374.95 from Bachmann. 

Rob. 

Oh! The 1 as in one hundred rather than the expected 2 for two hundred didnt compute (outside of expected parameters 🤣) - proper bargains then, well done to modelers who secured at those prices. Chip alone is worth £120 retail ! 

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

There's definitely a tipping point too, as at 30% off (which was what some were doing) they would sell but not instantaneously but at this price they all disappeared.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

There's definitely a tipping point too, as at 30% off (which was what some were doing) they would sell but not instantaneously but at this price they all disappeared.

Given the price of these ex VAT, MRD must have pretty much been breaking even at best here (certainly once overheads are factored in)

A sound intercity reappeared today, this time I couldn’t resist and snapped it up.  My logic being £122 for a standard + £25 for a suitable decoder only left a 25 premium for sound!

Im torn as to what I will do with it between an EWS repaint as 417, or modifying the nose grills to do 668 in EW&S or maybe an upgrade on my current 670 in EWS.   Of course none of which will happen until the new year once it’s a bit warmer!   Wish I hadn’t modified the body for 37674 now to fit its old chassis, could have swapped them over and had a working loco now.   At any rate the loco is going under the Christmas tree for the next couple of weeks!

IMG_8875.jpeg.486886c52e8574bf856f58f07a25eb66.jpeg

Why won’t Bachmann do this version instead of the endless 37/4…..

IMG_8878.jpeg.354d6bdfe8c9cac1b997e41f16cb1165.jpeg
Or maybe this version (both rebuilt 2022 37/4 bodies with new side grills)

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Very proud of myself for not succumbing to this MRD offer. Bought myself some stilton as a reward... 

I’m amazed I only ended up with one, though if there had been non 37/4 refurbs or more 37/0 with proper headlight I doubt I’d have resisted

• Like 1