RMweb

Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

38 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Mindful of the fact that not every purchaser of Accurascale locos is a contributing member of Rmweb, what we see on here is a  small percentage of overall sales therefore a small percentage issues.

But, I have to cast doubt on those figures you quote. Working at an Accurascale stockist, we have sold similar, if not more 92s and 37s and have not had one returned by a customer for any issue, let alone a motor issue. This includes instore as well as those sent mail order.  Neither have we had cause to return one to Accurascale  for an issue discovered pre sale, i.e testing prior to concluding a ssale.Therefore, it's fair to conclude that overtime these locos remain as sold and have not developed any issues. 

In addition, given our relationship with our customers, if there had been any issues or returns direct to Accurascale, I'm pretty confident we'd be aware of this as it would soon filter through. 

So, based on the above personal experience I have to say  those figures have to be viewed as incorrect. If they weren't we'd see far more comment than we have done regarding motor issues and, given their engagement and transparency, no doubt there would be comment from Accurascale themselves. 

Rob. 

I think you are assuming that locos with problems would be evenly spread out among the the production run. 

But if 90% per cent of 42 locos had a problem, then that could be because that box of locos was dropped somewhere between China and the shop. Or that batch  could have travelled hundreds of miles in van with a dodgy axle over rough roads. Or that one of the workers on a particular shift was lazy or incompetent or malicious. Or that the machines had a problem for that part of the run, and no-one noticed, or workers/managers kept quiet about it. 

So it's easily possible that what your shop experienced with its supplies and another shop experienced are very different. 

EDIT: This is why, when I am buying two or more disk drives to backup data, I try to buy them from different shops to reduce the chances of getting all of them from a dodgy batch.

Edited by BachelorBoy
Edit to add PS

13 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

As I say similar numbers, certainly close enough to cause me to doubt the suggestion that roughly 4 locos out of 42 were fit for purpose. 

Rob. 

Yes, after I posted that I reread your post and realised that you'd given the information. My apologies. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, BachelorBoy said:

I think you are assuming that locos with problems would be evenly spread out among the the production run. 

But if 90% per cent of 42 locos had a problem, then that could be because that box of locos was dropped somewhere between China and the shop. Or that batch  could have travelled hundreds of miles in van with a dodgy axle over rough roads. Or that one of the workers on a particular shift was lazy or incompetent or malicious. Or that the machines had a problem for that part of the run, and no-one noticed, or workers/managers kept quiet about it. 

So it's easily possible that what your shop experienced with its supplies and another shop experienced are very different. 

EDIT: This is why, when I am buying two or more disk drives to backup data, I try to buy them from different shops to reduce the chances of getting all of them from a dodgy batch.

No, that is not possible either.

Because it is claimed it was 90% failures across multiple model lines, 37s, 55s and 92s. So they cant, by definition, be from 'one batch'.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Legend said:

Just think , if it wasn’t for Accurascale you’d still be paying £240 for your 37 

Only if we fell victim to the ‘must have now’ first release frenzy. Prices would have dropped subsequently due to market forces anyway.  As per the Class 47. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I dont think the issue is with the Bachmann 37.

I think its the economy mixed with fomo, were still in a Post Covid hangover.

Ultimately if consumers are not buying enough at the current price, retail stock is in hand, that suggests a bubble thats correcting.

Weve got two 37’s at the same time, so a similar quality, people stocked up on the cheaper one, that offered liveries and variants that were a gap in the collection, and looked to be selling out in advance, and left the more expensive option, that contained more “re-runs” on the shelf.

We havent had this many 37s all available at once since Lima in the 1990’s, and the same thing happened then, I suspect 25,47 and 66 maybe next as these are subject to duplication, consumers cant buy it all, so will herd  around the one they risk missing out on, and things they havent got.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 3

I'm not in the market for a new 37 - not central to my modelling and sadly too hotly political in 4mm and too much a declaration of personal allegencies for nearly two decades.

But looking through the last 6-8 pages of this thread (and the last pages of the thread about the rival model)   I can't help seeing blood in the water. The market is saturated, and the models can't be shifted for prices commemsurate with what it costs to make them. Nor is it clear that the rival model is a success and this a failure... It is not clear that either model represents a compelling improvement over the prior model sufficient to justify upgrade. People are openly talking about moving on some of the models they've bought

The last time we saw the price of a model dumped as steeply as this was the Hattons 66 - not an encouraging precedent . And this for a model which doesn't seem to have significant black marks against it...

It is difficult to see how Bachmann are going to make a good return on their investment in this tooling project in these conditions. At some point they are going to have to allocate production slots to something that the market will bear rather than 37s for firesale . At the same time the rival product doesn't exactly have a clear run in this market , either

I've seen a lot of arguments in the past for endless retooling of the same subjects and the benefits of rival models . But here  it looks very like the market can't sustain two rival 37s in OO , and it is not certain either party is a sure fire winner. Well - if the market can't take 2 x 37s head to head, then I'm not sure there's anything it will take duplicated.

And there are things much more exposed under development. After all , some folk buy 10 x 37s . You can only credibly run one Big Bertha, or one Worsborough Garrett....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ravenser said:

I'm not in the market for a new 37 - not central to my modelling and sadly too hotly political in 4mm and too much a declaration of personal allegencies for nearly two decades.

But looking through the last 6-8 pages of this thread (and the last pages of the thread about the rival model)   I can't help seeing blood in the water. The market is saturated, and the models can't be shifted for prices commemsurate with what it costs to make them. Nor is it clear that the rival model is a success and this a failure... It is not clear that either model represents a compelling improvement over the prior model sufficient to justify upgrade. People are openly talking about moving on some of the models they've bought

The last time we saw the price of a model dumped as steeply as this was the Hattons 66 - not an encouraging precedent . And this for a model which doesn't seem to have significant black marks against it...

It is difficult to see how Bachmann are going to make a good return on their investment in this tooling project in these conditions. At some point they are going to have to allocate production slots to something that the market will bear rather than 37s for firesale . At the same time the rival product doesn't exactly have a clear run in this market , either

I've seen a lot of arguments in the past for endless retooling of the same subjects and the benefits of rival models . But here  it looks very like the market can't sustain two rival 37s in OO , and it is not certain either party is a sure fire winner. Well - if the market can't take 2 x 37s head to head, then I'm not sure there's anything it will take duplicated.

And there are things much more exposed under development. After all , some folk buy 10 x 37s . You can only credibly run one Big Bertha, or one Worsborough Garrett....

It will be interesting to see how the 25 does… its got two competitors…. SLW and Heljan, and I’m guessing a lot pre ordered the SLW version at the £185 price, its new rrp is £210.

The last Bachmann 20 has an rrp of £224.

The Heljan offering is £225, and available c£194. Ive not seen many attempts to discount this.

Edited by adb968008

12 hours ago, 97406 said:

I’ve had a motor run rough on one of my 40s, but as I’d lowered the height and done other things to infringe the warranty I bought a replacement from the very excellent Bachmann Spares website for around 20 quid! There is also the risk of a screw dropping in and making its way into the motor compartment and jamming the motor. Fortunately no permanent damage resulted in that case, but I had to dismantle the loco to investigate and retrieve said screw. Using up to 8 screws to hold a locomotive body on is perhaps my biggest gripe with Bachmann models. The times I’ve done the ‘final’ reassembly and noticed something that needs the body off again, or when the screws cross thread in the hole! Clips are (or should be) the future!

i

Interestingly I also had a Bachmann Class 40 motor failure, it was the 40141 split headcode one and had done very little running but was well out of warranty. This was one of the ones with the 'non conductive grease' issue and dodgy pickup arrangements but well out of warranty so I obtained a replacement motor plus wiper pickups from Bachmann and did a full stripdown, clean, add wiper pickups and replace the motor. Rather a lot of work for a loco that should have been effectively 'as new' but well worth it. The price label (from 2014 when it was bought) said £90 which for a DCC fitted loco made me feel rather better about the effort needed to reinstate it!

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

It will be interesting to see how the 25 does… its got two competitors…. SLW and Heljan, and I’m guessing a lot pre ordered the SLW version at the £185 price, its new rrp is £210.

The Heljan offering is £225, and available c£194. Ive not seen many attempts to discount this.

I agree it will be interesting, I had four of the original Heljan ones and bought one of the newer releases (selling one of the original ones to make some space); I have 2 SLW ones on order and I will also get the Bachmann one, but I have a very soft spot for 25s and previous versions (the earlier Bachmann ones and the venerable Hornby one) just don't cut it for a class I remember so well. 

Edited by andyman7

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

are there not 3 competitors over Class 25s? SLW and Heljan but also Bachmann were tooling up some body styles too weren't they?

I can see the Class 37 coping with duplication to a certain extent, there are certainly an awful lot of detail variations and liveries carried by the class that it could be a slow burner and churn out models over a number of years before you can really decide on tooling being a success or failure. But what prices models need to be at to sell I'm not sure, there are plenty of examples of Bachmann 37s being price-matched to Accurascale and either there are a lot on the shelves waiting to sell or they're still not selling quickly at those kinds of prices - so you could be looking at 30% and upwards reductions before things start flying off shop shelves. I think we might be looking at a bit more of a price-conscious era for a while than manufacturers would be wanting.

We still haven’t had many early privatisation era liveries, one so far that was an exclusive (and doesn’t appear to have sold out just yet?)

No Transrail or Loadhaul for a few years.. I guess filling the market with similar liveries is only going to end one way?

Those Rail Exclusive Load Haul twin packs are still fetching high prices today, and what generation are they of Bachmann 37, 2nd?

3 hours ago, andyman7 said:

I agree it will be interesting, I had four of the original Heljan ones and bought one of the newer releases (selling one of the original ones to make some space); I have 2 SLW ones on order and I will also get the Bachmann one, but I have a very soft spot for 25s and previous versions (the earlier Bachmann ones and the venerable Hornby one) just don't cut it for a class I remember so well. 

Recently bought 2 Heljan ones (Kernow - £177) and they are a definite improvement over the original Bachmann version and so they should be with a 18-20 year gap - been toying over getting one of the SLW 25/2's and will definitely get the latest Bachmann version in BR blue along with (whoever eventually does) that model of 25001 (fond memories of coping it at Dunfermiine Townhill during heavy snow Xmas 1977).

I remember the excitement of being bought this in Beatties, Birmingham for Christmas in 1976 😁

R2121.jpg

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 7

30 minutes ago, GordonC said:

are there not 3 competitors over Class 25s? SLW and Heljan but also Bachmann were tooling up some body styles too weren't they?

I can see the Class 37 coping with duplication to a certain extent, there are certainly an awful lot of detail variations and liveries carried by the class that it could be a slow burner and churn out models over a number of years before you can really decide on tooling being a success or failure. But what prices models need to be at to sell I'm not sure, there are plenty of examples of Bachmann 37s being price-matched to Accurascale and either there are a lot on the shelves waiting to sell or they're still not selling quickly at those kinds of prices - so you could be looking at 30% and upwards reductions before things start flying off shop shelves. I think we might be looking at a bit more of a price-conscious era for a while than manufacturers would be wanting.

There do indeed seem to be three contending "state of the art" Class 25 s in OO.  How the market will sustain them is a very interesting question (Me? -  I have a Chinese Hornby 25 bought "new second hand" that I robbed the 5 pole motor bogie out of to power my detailed NBL Type 2. I also have an old Bachmann 25 with slight bodyshell danage that cost me £60 to power it, and some detail bits . An entirely acceptable Class 25 should be possible from that for under £100 expenditure..)

Arguments about how the market can sustain multiple Class 37s can be made - and have been, by various people over recent years. The trouble is, that isn't what we are now seeing in the market place. What we are seeing looks very like product not shifting. Bachmann have had a year to get their models away , but Hornby have had their fingers burnt a few times by second runs that overloaded the market, and there is a risk of that here. Equally, Accurascale have signalled an intention to keep their models continuously available, and if ever there was a model they might hope to keep as a "standing dish" it's a Class 37. That looks a little difficult now. (I remember expressing a doubt that something like the chaldrons could be something more than a batch project, and being told that even the chaldrons would be kept available as long as there was demand)

There is another dimension here, and that's ebay.  A quick look on ebay shows plenty of Bachmann Class 37s available in the range £110-145 as "buy it now". I'm not sufficiently versed in the subject to know if I'm looking at the Mk1, Mk2 , or Mk3 Bachmann 37, but it's clear there's a reasonable supply of  pretty decent 37s second hand for significantly less than the price of a new Accurascale one. More strikingly, the going rate for a Vi-Trains 37 seems to be £80-90. Now regardless of the politics of the time, the Vi-Trains 37 was a perfectly respectable model, and you can have one for half the price of an Accurascale one. Times are hard. Meanwhile the Accurascale model itself seems to be going around par - some a little below manufacturers price some a little above.

It's reasonable to think that both Bachmann and Accurascale will have based their 37 projects on decent long term sales. It's looking worryingly like the market won't deliver that , and quite possibly not for either

It seems to take 2-3 years after first release before it becomes obvious that a model has been a commercial failure and the market won't take it. We still have a little way to go , and this won't be anything like the Class 71 disaster, but the signs aren't good. And with all the less obviously viable projects floating around I do wonder if after a quarter of a century we are finally reaching the limits of the great "high spec" RTR boom in OO

If other, more esoteric, projects fail to sell through, the skies could get rather dark over the next few years.

I don't particularly want to see manufacturers go under . It wouldn't be particularly good for the hobby

• Agree 1

Too much product available , too little disposable income .

I was saying to a friend the other day , when lima was £39 a loco I could afford one a month . I can’t be a collector now at £150-200 a loco - have to really justify getting one 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 16/12/2023 at 08:55, NHY 581 said:

As I say similar numbers, certainly close enough to cause me to doubt the suggestion that roughly 4 locos out of 42 were fit for purpose. Rob. 

This includes iffy replacement ones.  Most issues during running in on continuous runs not rolling road.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Ravenser said:

There do indeed seem to be three contending "state of the art" Class 25 s in OO.  How the market will sustain them is a very interesting question (Me? -  I have a Chinese Hornby 25 bought "new second hand" that I robbed the 5 pole motor bogie out of to power my detailed NBL Type 2. I also have an old Bachmann 25 with slight bodyshell danage that cost me £60 to power it, and some detail bits . An entirely acceptable Class 25 should be possible from that for under £100 expenditure..)

Arguments about how the market can sustain multiple Class 37s can be made - and have been, by various people over recent years. The trouble is, that isn't what we are now seeing in the market place. What we are seeing looks very like product not shifting. Bachmann have had a year to get their models away , but Hornby have had their fingers burnt a few times by second runs that overloaded the market, and there is a risk of that here. Equally, Accurascale have signalled an intention to keep their models continuously available, and if ever there was a model they might hope to keep as a "standing dish" it's a Class 37. That looks a little difficult now. (I remember expressing a doubt that something like the chaldrons could be something more than a batch project, and being told that even the chaldrons would be kept available as long as there was demand)

There is another dimension here, and that's ebay.  A quick look on ebay shows plenty of Bachmann Class 37s available in the range £110-145 as "buy it now". I'm not sufficiently versed in the subject to know if I'm looking at the Mk1, Mk2 , or Mk3 Bachmann 37, but it's clear there's a reasonable supply of  pretty decent 37s second hand for significantly less than the price of a new Accurascale one. More strikingly, the going rate for a Vi-Trains 37 seems to be £80-90. Now regardless of the politics of the time, the Vi-Trains 37 was a perfectly respectable model, and you can have one for half the price of an Accurascale one. Times are hard. Meanwhile the Accurascale model itself seems to be going around par - some a little below manufacturers price some a little above.

It's reasonable to think that both Bachmann and Accurascale will have based their 37 projects on decent long term sales. It's looking worryingly like the market won't deliver that , and quite possibly not for either

It seems to take 2-3 years after first release before it becomes obvious that a model has been a commercial failure and the market won't take it. We still have a little way to go , and this won't be anything like the Class 71 disaster, but the signs aren't good. And with all the less obviously viable projects floating around I do wonder if after a quarter of a century we are finally reaching the limits of the great "high spec" RTR boom in OO

If other, more esoteric, projects fail to sell through, the skies could get rather dark over the next few years.

I don't particularly want to see manufacturers go under . It wouldn't be particularly good for the hobby

I don’t think the majority of us have a deep enough understanding of the industry to be able to say what is and a ‘commercial’ failure.  All of the major manufacturers are still in business and appearing confident - no obvious fire sales, just fluctuations with particular product prices.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/12/2023 at 19:28, andyman7 said:

Interestingly I also had a Bachmann Class 40 motor failure, it was the 40141 split headcode one and had done very little running but was well out of warranty. This was one of the ones with the 'non conductive grease' issue and dodgy pickup arrangements but well out of warranty so I obtained a replacement motor plus wiper pickups from Bachmann and did a full stripdown, clean, add wiper pickups and replace the motor. Rather a lot of work for a loco that should have been effectively 'as new' but well worth it. The price label (from 2014 when it was bought) said £90 which for a DCC fitted loco made me feel rather better about the effort needed to reinstate it!

My new model of the eponymous 97406 is based on 40141 too and it now has additional wiper pickups on all 6 wheels on each bogie from phosphor bronze wire and a stay alive fitted and now runs like an absolute dream. This one was bought secondhand though. It was a brand new 40142 that had the motor fault.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another thing is consider is that many now have pretty much made all the locomotive purchases that they want, with a few on back order. I don’t “need” many more 37s, especially with 3 older Bachmann models and a Vitrains one that will get lowered and the screens Shawplanned at some point early next year. Yes, there will still be the odd purchase, but the rapid expansion of the fleet during and immediately after the pandemic has slowed recently.

I have sufficient retooled Bachmann retools for now…

Tractorage from Bachmannage

• Like 4

Not sure I’d go as far as calling it a bargain but anyone interested in Kernow’s Royal Scotsman 37401 - now available for £189.99 in std form over on their website (down from £245ish I think).  Looks like a lovely rendition but previously too niche for me to justify…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/12/2023 at 23:40, Ravenser said:

I may be coming into this discussion at the wrong point (and missing the point) in which case my apologies, but surely the fact that almost every Accurascale 37 (the DCC sound fitted ones anyway) announced so far has sold out prior to the models actually reaching the UK, and people have been scrabbling to secure one of the few last minute available ones, suggests to me there is plenty of demand for them still.

I don’t know what Accurascales order targets need to be to make a particular version or livery viable or not, but they have clearly done their sums and it is working for them.

Bachmann must have done so too, even at their higher RRP price level.

I only have one updated Bachmann 37, sound fitted but not SFX, because I wanted that specific loco. Accurascale are satisfying my needs with liveries which Bachmann are not, unfortunately. 

On a personal level, I would rather buy one brand new non-sound fitted Accurascale 37 than two second hand Vitrains models at £80 each. Unless I wanted the challenge (and additional costs) of detailing and bringing them up to comparable standards. Something I used to enjoy as a teenager but not now 30-40 years later. Perhaps this is where the collectors market is influencing second hand prices? The collectors market is something I just do not understand! As good as the Vitrains model was for its time back then why would you buy a 20-odd year old mechanism and tooling now?

Perhaps the suggested supply of decent secondhand models is just people off loading older ones to pay for the new Bachmann or Accurascale ones, or a lack of storage space, rather than a lack of demand for Class 37s.

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I to only have one newer Bachmann 37. The accurascale equivalent I wanted has already pretty much sold out on pre-order. So plenty of demand is there. Mine was a bargain from Rainbow Railways. There have been several comparisons, but I think i'll pass judgement on which one is better when my 37714 arrives.

i must say, Its great that currently at the moment we have different versions of the same model out, theres plenty to choose from, from the most part. they'll always be that one varient that someone will want, but as the class lasted so long this will probably always be the issue.

Will post my work on my one in my own workbench thread soon

NL

• Like 1

On 25/12/2023 at 09:53, norfolkchinaclay said:

As good as the Vitrains model was for its time back then why would you buy a 20-odd year old mechanism and tooling now?

Why not though?

Although I don't model UK outline anymore, I don't buy the latest versions of US models because at normal viewing distance, you can't see the differences.

That's the reason I gave up on UK modelling, nothing was detailed enough for me, I was obsessed by it, so much so that hardly anything got completed.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 25/12/2023 at 09:53, norfolkchinaclay said:

I may be coming into this discussion at the wrong point (and missing the point) in which case my apologies, but surely the fact that almost every Accurascale 37 (the DCC sound fitted ones anyway) announced so far has sold out prior to the models actually reaching the UK, and people have been scrabbling to secure one of the few last minute available ones, suggests to me there is plenty of demand for them still.

I don’t know what Accurascales order targets need to be to make a particular version or livery viable or not, but they have clearly done their sums and it is working for them.

Bachmann must have done so too, even at their higher RRP price level.

I only have one updated Bachmann 37, sound fitted but not SFX, because I wanted that specific loco. Accurascale are satisfying my needs with liveries which Bachmann are not, unfortunately. 

On a personal level, I would rather buy one brand new non-sound fitted Accurascale 37 than two second hand Vitrains models at £80 each. Unless I wanted the challenge (and additional costs) of detailing and bringing them up to comparable standards. Something I used to enjoy as a teenager but not now 30-40 years later. Perhaps this is where the collectors market is influencing second hand prices? The collectors market is something I just do not understand! As good as the Vitrains model was for its time back then why would you buy a 20-odd year old mechanism and tooling now?

Perhaps the suggested supply of decent secondhand models is just people off loading older ones to pay for the new Bachmann or Accurascale ones, or a lack of storage space, rather than a lack of demand for Class 37s.

I too am waiting on my first updated Bachmann 37 from TMC but only after having purchased several superb Accurascale examples. I also have a few Vitrains Large/Logo versions which I weathered and super detailed and  were most reliable performers on the exhibition circuit. I don't intend to purchase anymore second hand versions or Bachmann old school as I think that Accurascale still have more to come.

Bill.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hminh2005 said:

Hello

I am a new member. I have a loco of Bachmann class 37, DCC sound.

However, its sound is very low. How to increase its volume?

Thanks

You need to increase the value of CV63, anything up to a value of 192 (I think). best done using POM (programming on the main). You can then listen to the loco sound until you get the value that you feel is right for you.