Starting out in 7mm scale

Enfys_Rainbow

23 hours ago, Sitham Yard said:

Also the brickwork over the door and windows does not look right. There seems to be too much of it compared  to the weighbridge hut by @brossard which to my eye looks correct.

Andrew

Good call. Vertical brick 'lintels'* are usually just a single brick row.

*It might not be called a lintel but off the top of my head I don't know how else to describe it.

Thanks for the comments. 

The misaligned bricks are unfortunate but are far more visible in photos than to the naked eye, not that that's an excuse for getting them slightly out.

The lintels are less of an issue to me, certainly it's more common to have one row of bricks, but there are plenty of examples of arched lintels with 1.5 bricks like these.

Either way, I've repainted the building today and - to my eye - it's a finish I'm much happier with. Definitely looks more convincing to me now.

Hut06

Hut05

The window is not yet fixed in the frame, and I know it's wonky. It will be straightened when it's glued in.

Matt

• Like 6

Progress has been slow...it's just too hot to do any modelling. Having said that, I have finished my first ever 7mm building!

Misaligned bricks aside, I'm very pleased with it and I think it looks ok! 

Hut08

The back is plain original laser cut card - it won't be seen.

Hut09

Although it's a bit of a cliche, I'm pleased with the open window - which is the Lcut originals chopped up a bit. I may add a very basic interior at some point.

And finally I think it looks good from this angle.

Hut10

Matt

• Like 12

Hello all,

A recent stroke of eBay luck saw me pick up this Parkside LMS van for a very good price.

The body had been assembled already, leaving the underframe to me. The kit floor was missing - the body had been built around a piece of plastic sheet, so it took a bit of headscratching to get everything attached properly.

Just the roof to add which needs cleaning up first.

LMSvan02

I've also started a second building - freelance but based on a real structure. Not much of interest to share just yet though!

Matt

Edited by Enfys_Rainbow
  • Like 2

Good, you're getting your hand in with kits.  The kit looks to be this:

https://anticsonline.uk/Product/Parkside-Kits-PS07-LMS-12-ton-Covered-Box-Van-diagram-D1664-O-Gauge_PS07_N1256421

The body certainly matches but not the underframe.  The blurb for the kit talks about the van being 9' WB, the pic looks to my eye to be 10'.  You may want to do some further research.  I'll take a look at my LMS wagons to see what there is.

John

OK, went through all the LMS vans and none of the body design you have were 10' WB.*  Now it depends how you feel about accuracy (I feel very strongly about it) so I'll leave you to have a think.

The thing about second hand is that you usually have no idea what the previous owner was thinking.  I have great distrust of other builders and I have seen some really dire examples.

*In fact, D1664 was the only design to have the end strapping.  These were built early on (1924 - 26) to a Midland design.  According to the notes, there were examples unfitted, through piped and fully fitted.

Edited by brossard
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, brossard said:

Good, you're getting your hand in with kits.  The kit looks to be this:

https://anticsonline.uk/Product/Parkside-Kits-PS07-LMS-12-ton-Covered-Box-Van-diagram-D1664-O-Gauge_PS07_N1256421

The body certainly matches but not the underframe.  The blurb for the kit talks about the van being 9' WB, the pic looks to my eye to be 10'.  You may want to do some further research.  I'll take a look at my LMS wagons to see what there is.

John

OK, went through all the LMS vans and none of the body design you have were 10' WB.*  Now it depends how you feel about accuracy (I feel very strongly about it) so I'll leave you to have a think.

The thing about second hand is that you usually have no idea what the previous owner was thinking.  I have great distrust of other builders and I have seen some really dire examples.

*In fact, D1664 was the only design to have the end strapping.  These were built early on (1924 - 26) to a Midland design.  According to the notes, there were examples unfitted, through piped and fully fitted.

Hi there,

It's the kit supplied 9' WB. Possibly the camera is making it look longer?

Having looked at the van in the link you sent, I do need to remove the tie bars though.

Matt

The underframe is different to the one in PS07. The axleboxes are different, solebar numberplate is different, wagon label clip not shown on Peco photo. The tiebar is there for a reason! It certainly looks bigger than 9' wheelbase. Have you measured it? 

Dave

Edited by daifly
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Hi there,

It's the kit supplied 9' WB. Possibly the camera is making it look longer?

Having looked at the van in the link you sent, I do need to remove the tie bars though.

Matt

Well, Matt, you will need to determine whether the underframe is right for you or not.  If not, you can try asking Peco/Parkside to supply a separate 9' WB underframe.

John

16 minutes ago, Enfys_Rainbow said:

Actually, you're both correct - having measured, it is indeed the incorrect underframe. My apologies for getting that wrong.

I'm not too concerned though as all of this is just practice for me at the moment, and a way of getting to grips with the different scale.

I reckon it's the guy who sold it to you that should be apologizing.  However, if you want to use it for practice, that's OK.

John