Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Small Layout Design Handbook

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Just into stock - an exciting new layout design book from Wild Swan and James Hilton.

In a fresh new style and an easy to flip through and read "landscape" format, this is a complete guide to its subject, full of fresh and innovative ideas for space and time starved modellers.

210mm X 280mm, printed on high quality paper and 80 pages long, £16.50 plus postage.

1-Abooking003.jpg.27428290c11ee05577564da8c6adb732.jpg

Based upon his blog, this is an original and imaginative book that I found very interesting and motivating - it really does show that small in size does not mean small in either interest or enjoyment.

I found it reminiscent of Iain Rice's approach, in that it is both thought provoking and motivating, and it also reminded me in many ways of the fantastic work of the late and much missed Carl Arendt.

Following a general introduction and discussion around the subject, featuring several of the author's own models, the book then sets out a number of worked up schemes along various prototype themes, featuring plans, sketches and photographs.

In stock and available now direct from Wild Swan and on its way to shops around the country as I type.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, the great book seller Amazon* seem to have muddled up this James Hilton with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hilton_(novelist) 

*who don't have this book in stock - I looked to see if they had any extra images to see if this was a book I would be interested in purchasing.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Kris

Give it a day (or two at most) and there will be examples of the inside of the book on the Wild Swan publisher's page, the technical department hasn't quite caught up with the sales department yet(!)

The webpage you will find it from is here.

I will not be placing it with Amazon, some of my trade customers may do so however.

Simon

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Keen to support our stockists, James new book is now also available to order from "Narrow Planet", to whom stock is now on its way.

You can order it right now from them here, alongside other interesting publications and of course the rest of their fantastic range of products.

Stock is also on its way to the Vale of Rheidol railway shop if you are over in that beautiful part of the world.

Simon

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Not Jeremy said:

For those of you that would like to know more about the book, further details are now available on the Wild Swan website here.

Thank you very much to George for technical support beyond the call of duty!

Simon

Copy ordered.

Andrew

Thank you Simon, it is a life long ambition to be published by Wild Swan and if it had not been for your energy and enthusiasm for my project this would never have come to print.

I hope that you all enjoy the writing and ideas, which I have throughly enjoyed putting together into this book. If it is just lovely to read that’s fantastic but even better if it influences your work, or perhaps even encourages the start of a project.   

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have received my copy this morning.

According to Mr Castens I am the first order.

A quick scan suggests it is a fine volume very much to my taste with lots of new material even including some excellent looking US content...

Chris H

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/08/2022 at 15:58, Not Jeremy said:

Just into stock - an exciting new layout design book from Wild Swan and James Hilton.

In a fresh new style and an easy to flip through and read "landscape" format, this is a complete guide to its subject, full of fresh and innovative ideas for space and time starved modellers.

210mm X 280mm, printed on high quality paper and 80 pages long, £16.50 plus postage.

1-Abooking003.jpg.27428290c11ee05577564da8c6adb732.jpg

Based upon his blog, this is an original and imaginative book that I found very interesting and motivating - it really does show that small in size does not mean small in either interest or enjoyment.

I found it reminiscent of Iain Rice's approach, in that it is both thought provoking and motivating, and it also reminded me in many ways of the fantastic work of the late and much missed Carl Arendt.

Following a general introduction and discussion around the subject, featuring several of the author's own models, the book then sets out a number of worked up schemes along various prototype themes, featuring plans, sketches and photographs.

In stock and available now direct from Wild Swan and on its way to shops around the country as I type.

How applicable is the book to other scales, eg O scale (US/UK)? All the plans reference 1/76 or 1/84 scale.

Dava

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Dava said:

How applicable is the book to other scales, eg O scale (US/UK)? All the plans reference 1/76 or 1/84 scale.

Dava

With the exception of one oval plan I would think they all can be upscaled as required - and the overall approach and presentation- particularly the prototype inspiration - is very well done - in my opinion... and the inclusion of a New England short-line is a delightful surprise as well...

I think its fair to say the layouts are not the meat of the message - its the approach to layout design and construction itself  and the plans are there to illustrate the subject...its up to the reader to develop their own plans - if they wish...

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

With the exception of one oval plan I would think they all can be upscaled as required - and the overall approach and presentation- particularly the protype inspiration - is very well done - in my opinion... and the inclusion of a New England short-line is a delightful surprise as well...

I think its fair to say the layouts are not the meat of the message - its the approach to layout design and construction itself  and the plans are there to illustrate the subject...its up to the reader to develop their own plans - if they wish...

Chris

Thanks, that has piqued my interest, I saw Claremont Paper [USA] and several other N.Am shortline or other projects quite apart from the UK, I’ll be ordering a copy.

Dava

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Dava said:

Thanks, that has piqued my interest, I saw Claremont Paper [USA] and several other N.Am shortline or other projects quite apart from the UK, I’ll be ordering a copy.

Dava

There are quite a few N American projects including Canadian - I have a bit of US stock (including New England) so may indulge myself...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve done a bit of a run through on video to introduce the book, talking about my intention behind the style and content, which I hope for those of you who haven’t yet picked up a copy, will help you decide one way or the other.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Picked up my copy yesterday and had a quick flick through this morning before starting my chores . Fabulous stuff, it combines a fresh, new approach with a nod to the pioneering work of the likes of Iain Rice. I shall be packing it in my bag to take to Missenden tomorrow where I hope to get time to give it a proper read.

Highly recommended.

Jerry

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Jerry, that’s wonderful to hear, I am so happy that many of you are finding it something fresh and enjoyable to read, and even more so from those that are saying it has energised them to build something.

Edited by James Hilton

As a serial small layout builder this book looked very appealing.  I duly ordered a copy from The Titfield Thunderbolt book shop on Saturday and it arrived today.

Some great ideas and thoughts on micro and small layouts, which reinforce my own long held views on such layouts.

Delighted that there are both UK and US layouts included, as I have built both in recent years and I'm currently planning another US small switching layout.

I also like the landscape format, ideal for browsing.

Highly recommended.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

What a lovely inspiring book that is presented beautifully, that's just from sitting down with it a few minutes ago. Also have to say how well and carefully packed it was by the Titfield Thunderbolt. Much appreciated. 

Right you won't hear much from me this evening, so thanks for that😉

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon, many thanks for the prompt despatch of this book, it has arrived safely and was very well packaged.  Thanks also for the personalised postcard, I presume Private Castens was a relative of yours.

All is good down in Truro, having now moved into my own workshop in a community of artisans.

Stu

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for all the positive comments, it is great that so many people are enjoying James' book, it is certainly giving me new modelling ideas!

Yes Stu, it was Father, an unofficial outing on to the roof.

Whilst I may be as daft as he was, I have not inherited his head for heights...

I very much like the sound of your workshop, sounds just the job

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
job not jo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ordered Wednesday lunchtime (after stumbling upon this thread), arrived Friday morning. Very well packaged. 

Lovely looking book, as others have said, modern and refreshing. I'm really looking forward to reading it and putting the knowledge into practice designing my yet-to-be-built layout.

Thanks James and Simon.

• Friendly/supportive 1