Bachmann Fletcher Jennings 0-4-2ST "Talyllyn" in OO9

nathan70000

Thanks for looking!

You can see the lining on the back of the cab of "Talyllyn" in the photo shown about 48 secs into the following YouTube video.  I believe that the photo dates from the 1930s as "Talyllyn" appears to have the welded (rather than rivetted) saddle tank.

Edited by DMY
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DavidBird said:

Rails of Sheffield says  "Scaled to HO/OO dimensions, the Talyllyn will operate on standard N Scale or HOn30/OO9 narrow gauge".

Does anybody know are they 1:76, 1:87, or something in between?

1:76, they just copied the Bachmann US description, which mentions both HO and OO as the vast majority of US modelers have no idea what OO is, let alone that it shares the same gauge(s) as HO and 009.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SomethingTrainLover said:

1:76, they just copied the Bachmann US description, which mentions both HO and OO as the vast majority of US modelers have no idea what OO is, let alone that it shares the same gauge(s) as HO and 009.

Thanks very much.  More confident to place an order now, just which colour?

Bachmann's description, in the video in the 1st post, calls them HOn30, which suggests 1:87 scale (and 2ft 6in gauge).  I'd have problems squeezing a 1:76 driver into a 1:87 cab.

10 hours ago, DavidBird said:

Thanks very much.  More confident to place an order now, just which colour?

Bachmann's description, in the video in the 1st post, calls them HOn30, which suggests 1:87 scale (and 2ft 6in gauge).  I'd have problems squeezing a 1:76 driver into a 1:87 cab.

That's cause, again, it's Bachmann US ;). So they just said it in a way that US modelers will understand. At the absolute bare minimum, and I am hoping they go at least a little beyond the bare minimum, this will be a recolored Skarloey or at least it'll be a modified Skarloey tooling using the base Skar as a strong base. Either way, Skarloey is scaled 009, as with the rest of the NG range and indeed the entire main "HO" range all being actually scaled OO.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DavidBird said:

Although, if it's just one of these without a face for £115, I might think twice....

58601.jpg

I mean, the thing is Skarloey is a solid 90% accurate to Talyllyn anyway? I'm hoping they at minimum replace the cylinders and crosshead etc parts with new tooled components and that it has proper handrails.

• RMweb Gold

I would expect from the description it is only the smokebox door that is changed. If they were doing the cylinders and handrails I would expect them to mention it as they usually do to hype it up a bit 😉

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I would expect from the description it is only the smokebox door that is changed. If they were doing the cylinders and handrails I would expect them to mention it as they usually do to hype it up a bit 😉

You'd be surprised given it's Bach US doing this lol, so there's still a decent chance of those changes. Let me have hope :P 

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

When were each of the three available liveries used on the prototype?

The model is of the modifications made in preservation so although the red is an earlier livery I’m not sure whether it would represent the model without a few changes. I’m not sure what the dates are but she carried green from the 1950’s through to the early 2000’s.

She was black around 2012 as below,

2012 Talyllyn driving experience

And red around 2016,

Wales 2016 Talyllyn

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, ChristianA432 said:

Are these DCC ready?

The Skarloey’s aren’t and need hard wiring, like the detail changes mused about above unless they were mentioned in the catalogue as new features or tooling, which they haven’t, I would expect they haven’t changed anything. 

It’s not a hard job to hardwire these if you’re happy with soldering on motors and chips but it is a bit fiddly. 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 08/09/2022 at 01:21, SomethingTrainLover said:

You'd be surprised given it's Bach US doing this lol, so there's still a decent chance of those changes. Let me have hope :P 

I agree, will keep my fingers crossed. If they do make these tweaks, fantastic, if not, it'll still be great to have it in these liveries because it saves me repainting Skarloey.

• RMweb Premium
On 07/09/2022 at 16:24, D9020 Nimbus said:

When were each of the three available liveries used on the prototype?

Green until winter 2007/8 when repainted into black.

Repainted to Red winter 2014/2015

Graham

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, LittleRedTrain said:

I am surprised, considering the debates that have occurred in Tywyn over previous liveries. Surely even Skarloey making a visit or plain black with a wooden door would have been preferable...

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 298 said:

I am surprised, considering the debates that have occurred in Tywyn over previous liveries. Surely even Skarloey making a visit or plain black with a wooden door would have been preferable...

I suppose it draws in people, I hope the lettering is more subtle in the final version, you’ll see that for miles! 

• 1 month later...

Here is my model of “Talyllyn” as it was in the late 1930s/early 1940s.  
45D7EB18-3A44-4AFA-B564-FB3D5008EE35.jpeg.7442e059b3fa81ae20ca6d3e2a988a11.jpeg

A summary of the changes:

- Face replaced (Chase 3D Ltd.)

- Front spectacle panes unblocked

- Right-hand sandbox removed 

- Footplate cut back and splashers removed 

- Metal foot rail added to right side of footplate

- Rivets removed from saddle tank (welded)

- Wire handrails added

- Lamp brackets added

- Various pipes added

- Cylinders reduced in size

- Lining on back of cab

- Wooden door and frame added (push fit).

2F275094-952B-4010-A08B-364C09D6F0C0.jpeg.678d3bebfb442e4f45fdf089ce83a427.jpeg

Edited by DMY
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, tractionman said:

Pleased to see these, for me the red livery looks the best, though the front end of the loco looks very low for those with bumps in their track!

cheers,

Keith

I’ve got the Skarloey original which is identical apart from the smokebox door and it has no problems over slight bumps 😉

• Like 1