Bachmann Fletcher Jennings 0-4-2ST "Talyllyn" in OO9

nathan70000

Like others, it's a shame they didn't do what seemed like minor tooling alterations, but I'm still really pleased this is happening.

I might get one of these 3D printed boiler backheads https://www.shapeways.com/product/TQSMZ6GSZ/oo9-talyllyn-backhead?optionId=300719851&li=marketplace

Also if anyone wants it, I drew this to go on the inside of the cab for my Skarloey conversion. The whole image is A5, so if you print at that size (or x2 on an A4 page) it'll be the right measurements:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aB33fNkGEsFd_YwBAZVvLs-if5ALMOwJ/view?usp=sharing

Have Bachmann given any updates on when it'll be despatched? I'm guessing end of this year at the earliest?

Cab.png

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, drt7uk said:

on the subject of which, does anyone know a good alternative to Shapeways? The shipping is now completely insane...

There's a fair few resin printed kit and part sellers around now, Should in theory be able to find one that's available. I'll talk to a few friends who are in the line of 3D modeling and printing kits and parts about it. I do know that Shapeways is...really not great, price, quality, etc went down the drain a while ago.

Edited by SomethingTrainLover
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, SomethingTrainLover said:

There's a fair few resin printed kit and part sellers around now, Should in theory be able to find one that's available. I'll talk to a few friends who are in the line of 3D modeling and printing kits and parts about it. I do know that Shapeways is...really not great, price, quality, etc went down the drain a while ago.

Thank you, hugely appreciated!!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really pleased by this, though odd there's no number 3? (Tallylyn website suggests that their were 4 original carriages + 1 brake van).

Is a 3 carriage train prototypical? Or will you guys by being x2 of either coach #1 or #2?

• RMweb Premium

Currently none of the Bachmann coach toolings match No.3 or brake coach No.5. They might do them in the future I suppose, but as it stands you would need to use kits/3d prints to make up the missing coaches. The TR did run trains of various lengths and formations in the working era, but these models are of the preservation era.

Edit: Plus, even when running shorter formations they would have had brake coach No.5 on the train.

Edited by Fair Oak Junction
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

As far as I know, Talyllyn "original" passenger rolling stock options in 009 are as follows:

Bachmann coaches No.1 & 2 are very accurate models of the real vehicles, and suitable shapewise for their entire working lives. Livery is preservation era.

Bachmann coach No.4 is very accurate of the real vehicle as it is in later life. It underwent changes in 1925 so isn't suitable for earlier than that. Livery is preservation era.

TR coach No.3 is available either as a kit from Meridian Models (via Light Railway Stores) or as an excellent 3D print from Westcliff Works.

TR coach No.4 in pre-1925 condition is available as a kit from Meridian Models (via Light Railway Stores).

TR brake No.5 is available either as a kit from Meridian Models (via Light Railway Stores) or as an excellent 3D print from Westcliff Works. Both offer versions to cover changes over its life.

Coach No.3 & No.5 were the first to arrive on the railway, followed later by No.1 & No.2 which were slightly longer. No.4 arrived the year after. Details on the livery the coaches carried in the working era are sketchy, but it is thought to be either maroon or brown. And the coaches weren't numbered the same way they are in more modern times.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Coach No.3 & No.5 were the first to arrive on the railway, followed later by No.1 & No.2 which were slightly longer. No.4 arrived the year after. 

Yes, coach 3 is a foot shorter and also has an internal partition.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Details on the livery the coaches carried in the working era are sketchy, but it is thought to be either maroon or brown.

Immediately prior to, and during early presentation, one of either coaches 1&2 was a maroon colour, the others were the "classic" red and brown (described by L.T.C. Rolt in railway adventure and the maroon coach clearly visible in "railway with a heart of gold"). The addition of the Numbers and crests to the coaches is described in railway adventure, along with cleaning and varnishing. I suspect that the maroon coach was painted around 1946 as a last ditch attempt at attracting tourist traffic after the mine closed (in the 1930s photographs, the carriages appear to be homogeneous in livery) but other than than, I can't imagine that the railway, "running on a shoestring budget" would have spent the money on fully repainting all of the coaches during Sir Haydn's ownership.

Edit: flicking through "the talyllyn railway, past and present" by Mitchell and Eyres, there is a photograph from 1948 with the coaches again appearing to all be in the same livery. An open door on one of the coaches shows that lining was present, but it appears to be simpler than the lining seen in preservation, with round corners and only a single colour. The open door also has a number 1 on it, one assumes this is to designate first class

Edited by JIJ
Extra information
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JIJ said:

Immediately prior to, and during early presentation, one of either coaches 1&2 was a maroon colour, the others were the "classic" red and brown (described by L.T.C. Rolt in railway adventure and the maroon coach clearly visible in "railway with a heart of gold"). The addition of the Numbers and crests to the coaches is described in railway adventure, along with cleaning and varnishing. I suspect that the maroon coach was painted around 1946 as a last ditch attempt at attracting tourist traffic after the mine closed (in the 1930s photographs, the carriages appear to be homogeneous in livery) but other than than, I can't imagine that the railway, "running on a shoestring budget" would have spent the money on fully repainting all of the coaches during Sir Haydn's ownership.

Edit: flicking through "the talyllyn railway, past and present" by Mitchell and Eyres, there is a photograph from 1948 with the coaches again appearing to all be in the same livery. An open door on one of the coaches shows that lining was present, but it appears to be simpler than the lining seen in preservation, with round corners and only a single colour. The open door also has a number 1 on it, one assumes this is to designate first class

early preservation?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JIJ said:

Fair enough. I'm a bit more fuzzy with that era of the TR as I've mostly concentrated my research on the 1865-1900 period.