Bachmann Fletcher Jennings 0-4-2ST "Talyllyn" in OO9

nathan70000

Also note some Corris type waggons amongst the Thomas items.

I’m guessing Bachmann may tweak the tooling to better suit the prototype loco, in which case if Dolgoch did follow hopefully they would sort the issues present on the Rheneas tooling too. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic news from Bachmann USA and hope it opens up an avenue for more Talyllyn Railway rolling stock.

Will these be available through Bachmann UK network?

Mark 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, 46444 said:

Will these be available through Bachmann UK network?

Yes Bachmann Europe now distribute the USA ranges so any shop with a Bachmann UK account can order it for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I suspect the reason it's not in the main Branchline OO9 range is because it's probably based on the Skarloey underpinnings and not considered "finescale" enough for the brand. However, why they've announced it as part of the USA range is a complete mystery to me.

It could have perhaps been an EFE Rail release?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Aire Head said:

it might be worth noting that these were also present within the Thomas section of the range.

Screenshot_20220813-011125.png.9e1bbb47dc07c030bf0ade75a7447d66.png

Prototypical or not I cannot say however the potential is there I guess?

Yes prototypical ex Corris end door wagon now preserved on the Talyllyn, nice pic of the Dundas kit one here, 

https://www.hampshiremodels.co.uk/products/dundas-models-dmc30-oo-9-gauge-talyllyn-rlwy-ex-corris-end-door-wagon-kit

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, nathan70000 said:

However, why they've announced it as part of the USA range is a complete mystery to me.

Because it's a Bachmann USA product announced during product announcements by Bachmann USA.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cornelius said:

Because it's a Bachmann USA product announced during product announcements by Bachmann USA.

Is there a huge demand for Welsh 009 gauge in the US to warrant them flying over here, scanning etc and producing a prototype exclusively for the US market ?

• Like 1

The announcement was for the USA market. We have not seen the announcement for the UK market.

In my opinion there are two ways that Talyllyn would appear in the UK:

• In the Bachmann Europe's Narrow Gauge range like the Slate wagons. We would find out in the relevant quarterly British Railway Announcements.
  • Distributed by Bachmann Europe as part of the Bachmann USA range like the BR 20T Brake Van track cleaning models. We would find out when it appears in the Bachmann USA section of the Bachmann Europe website.

As the model is due to be released in the USA in 2023, we will have a long wait to find out how it will be released in the UK.

Edited by Paul.Uni
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Is there a huge demand for Welsh 009 gauge in the US to warrant them flying over here, scanning etc and producing a prototype exclusively for the US market ?

A bit of history -

This project started several years ago when Bachmann USA came over here and scanned all the TR locos (and stock?). This was so they could produce models of the Skarloey Railway in 009. This was done by bach.USA as at the time Hornby held the Thomas license here thus preventing Bach.Europe from doing it. These models will be sold around the world wherever Bachmann/Kader hold the appropriate license, which now includes here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

This is great news, was assuming they would do this sooner or later. Looking forward to getting one in the maroon livery. I have Skarloey with a 3D printed smoke box door + detailing inside the cab, but having Talyllyn would be brilliant. Top stuff!

It will be interesting to see how much they modify the loco to make it prototypical. Either way I'll be happy but at a minimum I hope they sort out the front cab windows (which are not see-through) and put some detailing inside the cab.

Edited by drt7uk
  • Like 1

Derails are asking for expressions of interest btw - email sales@derails.co.uk if you are.

"Now we must stress at this point that, being a weekend, we have not spoken to Bachmann Europe to confirm if this is a model we will be able to source from them, but we'd like to know if the demand is there! Therefore if you would happen to be interested in a Talyllyn no.1 should we be able to get them, please reply to this email and let us know!"

• Like 1

I see from EBay that Bachman USA have now introduced Peter Sam to the range, which means that it is now possible to model Tallylyn, Corris, or any of the other industrial users of the Falcon design! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134166986396?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Ruw6B9AbRRm&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=J_hw70rPREq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Makes you wonder, when they’ve released Tom Rolt where they will

go next. The Snowdon Mountain Railway perhaps?

Edited by ovbulleid
Expanding thought…

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, ovbulleid said:

possible to model Tallylyn, Corris, or any of the other industrial users of the Falcon design! 

Peter Sam is a Kerr Stuart 😉 Sir Handel is the Falcon Works / Hughes design, that’s coming next year. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

It's a shame the Peter Sam is such an inaccurate model - a Kerr Stuart Tattoo could have appeal far beyond Corris/Talyllyn layouts. That being said, maybe people would be fine accepting the compromises. Certainly I'm prepared to put up with compromises on my currently-being-converted Rheneas for the sake of an easy life.

Actually, in some ways I'm quite glad of this. I was about to buy a Skarloey for conversion, but if I'm patient, Bachmann will do the work for me. Given how long it takes me to get projects completed, it probably wouldn't be any quicker for me to do it myself.

Dan from Derails has said: "Having spoken to Bachmann Europe this morning, they have let us know that they do indeed plan on stocking the Talyllyn models but the ETA and price are unknown - therefore pre-orders aren't open yet" but that they are keeping my interest on file so it's worth contacting them if you're also interested.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 16/08/2022 at 09:20, HonestTom said:

It's a shame the Peter Sam is such an inaccurate model - a Kerr Stuart Tattoo could have appeal far beyond Corris/Talyllyn layouts. That being said, maybe people would be fine accepting the compromises. Certainly I'm prepared to put up with compromises on my currently-being-converted Rheneas for the sake of an easy life.

Actually, in some ways I'm quite glad of this. I was about to buy a Skarloey for conversion, but if I'm patient, Bachmann will do the work for me. Given how long it takes me to get projects completed, it probably wouldn't be any quicker for me to do it myself.

As quite a rough and ready model the Bachmann Peter Sam would I think be a useful sacrificial basis for a model of London Transport's standard gauge 'Tattoo.'

i00006dq.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I’m planning to model “Talyllyn” as it was in the late 1930s/early 1940s.  In photos, it looks pretty grimy and sometimes has a wooden door on one side of the cab.  
Does anyone know what basic colour it was during that era?  Green?  
I also seem to remember reading that it retained some lining on the back of the cab into the 1930s (outer and inner line).  What colours would be the best guesses for the lining?  Yellow and black?  
Thanks in advance for any information!

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DMY said:

I’m planning to model “Talyllyn” as it was in the late 1930s/early 1940s.  In photos, it looks pretty grimy and sometimes has a wooden door on one side of the cab.  
Does anyone know what basic colour it was during that era?  Green?  
I also seem to remember reading that it retained some lining on the back of the cab into the 1930s (outer and inner line).  What colours would be the best guesses for the lining?  Yellow and black?  
Thanks in advance for any information!

I've looked in Boyd's Wild Swan history of the Talyllyn and there doesn't seem to be any mention of liveries at all, although I haven't checked every one of the 321 pages.