Who has used Scale Model Scenery Baseboards?

I have been looking at the SMS baseboards and am really impressed.

However, I am concerned that they aren't very deep, and am wondering what kind of layouts people are managing to build using them.

Please post some pics/ideas for inspiration using these or similarly sized base boards

TIA

• RMweb Gold

I use them. I do add depth (and reduce the backscene height) . This is a finished layout (Cropper Street with one I'm building -Timsbury Bottom). They share double ended fiddle yards so can be set up as "modules" in my garage which is what is happening in this picture.

52302074877_a821cd30c7_z.jpg

I've also used them for Lockdown Fen.

49970902587_41c02458d0_z.jpg

I add my own end boards and fascias.

Chris Hopper

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

22 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I use them. I do add depth (and reduce the backscene height) . This is a finished layout (Cropper Street with one I'm building -Timsbury Bottom). They share double ended fiddle yards so can be set up as "modules" in my garage which is what is happening in this picture.

52302074877_a821cd30c7_z.jpg

I've also used them for Lockdown Fen.

49970902587_41c02458d0_z.jpg

I add my own end boards and fascias.

Chris Hopper

These are great!!!

Have you any pics of how you extend them?

I've yet to use the SMS boards, although I have plans to in the future for a more durable layout than my current collection.

However, I have previously built a layout that fits the 22L Really Useful Box though, so roughly the same size as the board:

Since it shares the dimensions, to within a cm, I found the scene depth (front-to-back) is fine, you can comfortably fit two parallel tracks or three if you don't want much else. The backscene height is far more restrictive, I got around this on the layout above by ensuring each building can be removed or separated at the required height.

My best recommendation if you're planning things is to get some cardboard and make a mock-up - playing around with bits of track and trains is the best way to see what you can fit!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TechnicArrow said:

I've yet to use the SMS boards, although I have plans to in the future for a more durable layout than my current collection.

However, I have previously built a layout that fits the 22L Really Useful Box though, so roughly the same size as the board:

Since it shares the dimensions, to within a cm, I found the scene depth (front-to-back) is fine, you can comfortably fit two parallel tracks or three if you don't want much else. The backscene height is far more restrictive, I got around this on the layout above by ensuring each building can be removed or separated at the required height.

My best recommendation if you're planning things is to get some cardboard and make a mock-up - playing around with bits of track and trains is the best way to see what you can fit!

Thankyou

I think there is a tall 77L really useful box that the bases are aimed to go in 

• RMweb Gold

I have the set of two SMS boards (designed to be joined as one) that fit in the 77ltr Really Useful Christmas Tree box. They are a snug fit in the box. There is enough space below the baseboard to fit point motors etc. The backscene height is enough for a tall building. I haven't started to make the layout yet though. 

I found the cheapest place for the Really Useful Christmas Tree box was from Argos - £30 when I got it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, davidparker172 said:

These are great!!!

Have you any pics of how you extend them?

If you click on the albums there are various photos dotted around showing where I added strip wood etc. I also reduce the backscene heights...Stanley knife (and a good safe ruler) job

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, ModRXsouth said:

General question about SMS baseboards - once assembled, should the MDF first be sealed or painted? And all surfaces, or just the base and back/side panels?

I seal everything - even ply. MDF is a little more susceptible to moisture than ply so I always do it as soon as the boards are complete.

Here is a work in progress - Fiddle Yards are shared with another layout so are already primed.

51789652147_1d945236d4_z.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, ModRXsouth said:

Thanks Gilbert for advocating sealing. My local Toolstation branch stocks Rustins MDF Sealer. Just to clarify, seal only the visible sides (upper baseboard side and backscene panels), or also the underside and rear of backscene panels?

I do everything. Takes time but avoids future issues. Only doing one surface tends to encourage warping anyway.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I used a BB017 for Castell, a Welsh 009 layout with a castle as the backscene.

I'm also using BB001 & BB002 for Newham, and for Justin's new Modulus Demo layout we're taking to Warley.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, ModRXsouth said:

Hi Stubby47 -

After assembling the BB017, did you then seal or paint any parts of it? 
Thanks 

No, I haven't painted any of it. It seems to be OK without it. But I guess it depends where it's kept long term.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Cropper Street was out at Thornbury yesterday (also there today). The boards were the subject of some interest especially as I had the 77L boxes there as well. (one for the layout and one for the two fiddle yard areas.

52510727805_b570e143da_z.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, DavidLong said:

Hi Stu. Any more photos of Dunn Street Yard? It looks rather interesting. Is there a thread on it?

David

Not sure about a thread for the layout, but it will be at Warley on the SMS stand (A17) this weekend.

• RMweb Premium

My Swiss RhB-themed layout Veja Megstra uses the SMS baseboard kits. I've found them to be excellent and a very cost-effective solution in N scale, especially if you're rubbish at carpentry.

IMG_0151.jpeg.5fbb9e75cbd60b11a15e62480f114d58.jpeg

There are 4 BB001 for the ends and 3x BB002s joined together for the main sections.

Before:
IMG_5886.jpeg.5bcb8af57068679602532f2f6271543b.jpeg

After:

IMG_1659.jpeg.d1a2fcec7244216b08d7b779456dc45d.jpeg

• Like 10