Who has used Scale Model Scenery Baseboards?

I have just finished putting together three of these and painting the back scene and sides.

I noted the comments about sealing the remaining wood ( back, underneath, surface.

What would you recommend and would sealing the surface make it more difficult to put track, scenery, grass etc on it ?

I do think I will need something to go across the back

I have got to take a couple of weeks break now , which is fortunate as I have still to decide what to to put on them ( and for locos to arrive)

FF1DBA43-59C3-488A-ADEB-29A596BB1B6C.jpeg

• Like 3

That's looking very good, I stuck some 4mm ply across the joins to line them up at the top and then heavy lining paper over the whole of the internal face for the backscene, including rounding off at the corners so the corner wasn't noticeable. Then I painted the lining paper. I only have two board lengths as per standard BB017.

I presume you are bolting the three boards together in which case you might need the 4mm ply across the whole width of the rear of the backscene to hold everything together although I doubt you need it for the full height.

• Thanks 1

On 22/08/2022 at 19:34, Gilbert said:

Albums...click on the photos...

Lockdown FenNEW 4MM LAYOUT Cropper Street SidingsS&D layout 12.20

Hi Chris, I clicked through to the album on the last picture and noticed that you use some sort of 'joiner' to line up the track between the layout and the fiddle yards, can you enlighten us as to what they are and where you get them from?

Thanks, Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just glued three BB029s together.

Two of them shown here, the third (unshown) is reversed with the full height board at the front to cover the fiddle yard at the left end.

I already had an idea for the trackplan - using photocopies of points -  and I've stuck a loco and few cars (wagons) on to test the clearances I'll need. It's also useful to check that the layout operation isn't too restricted and that any underboard point motors don't clash with the crosspieces.

The boards went together without any problems whatsoever.

I'll follow another poster's idea of adding a strip along the front under the overlap for strength across the two halves of each board.

20230121_145839.jpg.a0d72b75784299fbbf3734107c104d69.jpg

20230121_145714.jpg.1d3325710b70fdeb20185b31c0cc615e.jpg

Edited by newbryford
Removed duplicate pics
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, steve45 said:

Hi Chris, I clicked through to the album on the last picture and noticed that you use some sort of 'joiner' to line up the track between the layout and the fiddle yards, can you enlighten us as to what they are and where you get them from?

Thanks, Steve

I use these - they work basically

https://www.modeltech.uk/shop

I have ordered direct and also got them from these guys who do alot of show  around here:

https://www.glrailways.co.uk/point-control--rail-aligners-11-c.asp

I actually sent him some Code 83 so he do the US HO track as well!

Chris H

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, newbryford said:

Just glued three BB029s together.

Two of them shown here, the third (unshown) is reversed with the full height board at the front to cover the fiddle yard at the left end.

I already had an idea for the trackplan - using photocopies of points -  and I've stuck a loco and few cars (wagons) on to test the clearances I'll need. It's also useful to check that the layout operation isn't too restricted and that any underboard point motors don't clash with the crosspieces.

I'll follow another poster's idea of adding a strip along the front under the overlap for strength across the two halves of each board.

I'm wondering if I can get away with 3 of these gving about 1.6m for a small HO layout so I can run some of my remaining collection of US/Canadian stock..

Chris H

14 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I use these - they work basically

https://www.modeltech.uk/shop

I have ordered direct and also got them from these guys who do alot of show  around here:

https://www.glrailways.co.uk/point-control--rail-aligners-11-c.asp

I actually sent him some Code 83 so he do the US HO track as well!

Chris H

Hi Chris,

They look really good, I'm now thinking are they suitable for aligning cassettes?

I see Aspire stock them and so will try and pick some up at Southampton show this weekend

Thanks

Steve

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I'm wondering if I can get away with 3 of these gving about 1.6m for a small HO layout so I can run some of my remaining collection of US/Canadian stock..

Chris H

The BB029s are 1100 mm long. The scenic area shown is 2.2m total

• RMweb Premium
On 22/01/2023 at 22:05, newbryford said:

The original idea is here:

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, steve45 said:

Hi Chris,

They look really good, I'm now thinking are they suitable for aligning cassettes?

Thanks

Steve

I've not tried that - I suspect the cassettes  would need firmly fixing in place as well although the track would probably align well?

Chris

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, newbryford said:

The BB029s are 1100 mm long. The scenic area shown is 2.2m total

I suspect I'd use 3 BB021s with a 4th as a small staging area which could be attached for shows but would not be essential to a bit of switching.

Chris

• RMweb Gold
On 23/01/2023 at 22:32, steve45 said:

Hi Chris,

I see Aspire stock them and so will try and pick some up at Southampton show this weekend

Thanks

Steve

GLS definitely have them and they are at Southampton.

https://www.glrailways.co.uk/

https://www.glrailways.co.uk/modeltech-protrack-rail-aligner-hooo-standard-4-pairs-996-p.asp

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

My helpful neighbour ( retired carpenter) is making me some wooden clips to tie the three backboards together and also two extra side pieces to lead " off scene" into sort of fiddle yard areas. I will post some pictures when he fits them. I nee to decide on the layout before I go much further. My locos came last week and have been tested on a little circuit ( as suggested here)

4 hours ago, Rob K said:

My helpful neighbour ( retired carpenter) is making me some wooden clips to tie the three backboards together and also two extra side pieces to lead " off scene" into sort of fiddle yard areas. I will post some pictures when he fits them. I nee to decide on the layout before I go much further. My locos came last week and have been tested on a little circuit ( as suggested here)

Well.he did them today.

I now need to decide where they go and how large a hole to ask him to cut into them, so he can fix them securely

IMG_0229(1).jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0228(1).jpg

• Like 3