Westward model (loco) kits. can anyone help with the history of the company

I first became aware of Westward Kits on my regular visits to Puffers of Kenton, I was impressed by the exotic (for me) loco kits which sadly were out of my price range. In the basement with a lot of other treasures including John Redrup of London Road fame

From Memory were they involved with Kemp Models at the start?

I seem to think Perseverance models either evolved from or had ties with Westward with many chassis being designed by Rod Neep

In later years I seem to recollect the range was taken over by Chris Parish (Puffers) and when the Kenton shop closed Puffers were relocated up north to Pickering where Chris had or had an interest in a loco

Whilst you have to take care of what is written on the web, but in a recent listing on eBay this statement was made

"A TRUE COLLECTORS PIECE BY CD PARISH ENGINEERING WHITBY FOR DJH"  Certainly the kit's box is similar to Westwards later ones rather than any I have seen used by DJH. If anything I would say the style was that of Westward as the reference number shows WK 10, DJH I think are just K, but the box has no makers name. Quite strange !!! 

I will be able to delve into this a bit more as I won this lot, but it may or may not add another chapter in Westward's history,

I would be grateful if anyone could assist me with any information they have, if nothing other than a nostalgic look back on days when the kit manufacturers were thriving 

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

Hayfield good luck in finding anything out I can't help you with knowage but will be intrested in reading it as a owner of several locos of theirs, can I remember car kits from back in my working in a model shop days (1980-81)

27 minutes ago, Graham456 said:

Hayfield good luck in finding anything out I can't help you with knowage but will be intrested in reading it as a owner of several locos of theirs, can I remember car kits from back in my working in a model shop days (1980-81)

Coach (road not rail) kits as well

• Agree 1

• hayfield changed the title to History / early years of Westward model kits

Just thought I would update this thread a bit

I think it was common knowledge that Chris Parish of Puffers of Kenton fame took over both the Westward and Perseverance ranges 

One indication of Westward kits was the dark blue stock boxes they came in. Styles of labels differed, but the name of Westward was on the labels

I did get caught out when buying a kit built SR T9, It was in a Westward dark blue box, whilst no makers name was on the label there was a black and white photo, loco name and the Westward Ref number WK11, I guess It was sold from one of Chris' shops and he used a standard box to protect it

I understand from the boxes I have the range was started by Kemp Models of Brighton (the name Rod Neep springs to mind)

I have a kit where Kemp Models are not Mentioned, but Puffers of Kenton

I now have 2 more later kits, which I am certain are after Puffers of Pickering, they both come in white boxes, Both mention CD Parish, Perseverance Engineering, Grosmont, Whitby.

I had some correspondence with Chris  in September 20011 where he sent me a Puffers Model Railway Products price list (from Grosmont) listing the Westward Loco kits, stating no kits are planned until 2013. Well it seems this happened with instructions Bearing Chris' name and Perseverance Engineering

Just seen Westward made a GWR Scott Atlantic and a GWR 2900 Lady class locos, what ever happened to these kits. I do have a little idea, but everything became very quiet

• hayfield changed the title to Westward model (loco) kits. can anyone help with the history of the company

I have a Westward Scott Atlantic in the to do pile. I think the boiler is wrong - it’s a long taper,rather than a short one, and the kit came with a 3500 gallon tender with collett reinforced under frame which is definitely wrong. So 3D print a new boiler and a straight framed footplate and almost two locos from one…

I also was in contact with Chris, must have been around the same time as you and there was no prospect of the loco kits getting back into production at that time.

D

• Thanks 1

Reading this thread the other night reminded me of a number of their bus kits in the "to do" pile, Had a nosey in them at lunchtime and the newspaper wrappings around the castings are dated 1975 and 1977. The buses were around a long time before the locos but I have something in mind that suggests the loco kits were came on to the scene around 1979, though I seem to remember that the first ones were GWR railcars.

• Like 1

Brian Brown was the founder of Westward Models in the early seventies when he was producing white metal kits of buses and coaches. I constructed 122 of his Metro Scania single deckers and 50 of the double deck version. I also had a few of his Seddon Pennine midi buses too. I met him a couple of times and if memory serves me he was based in Gloucester and was some kind of professional, but I wasn't aware of the Westward loco kits back then and only learnt of them many years later.  

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Broadway Clive said:

Brian Brown was the founder of Westward Models in the early seventies when he was producing white metal kits of buses and coaches. I constructed 122 of his Metro Scania single deckers and 50 of the double deck version. I also had a few of his Seddon Pennine midi buses too. I met him a couple of times and if memory serves me he was based in Gloucester and was some kind of professional, but I wasn't aware of the Westward loco kits back then and only learnt of them many years later.  

The early Loco Kits from what I can see originated from Kemp Models in Sussex (Brighton) do any of the bus kits mention Kemp Models?

I have a Westward Terrier kit WK16 which I bought from Kemp Models in Hove, near Brighton.

The blue box has a white label and states "Manufactured and distributed by Kemp Models 154 Church Road Hove".

The last page of the instructions says "Kit design by Rod Neep".

The chassis etch has "Perseverance LC302  Design by Rod Neep 1986".

By 1986 Kemp Models also had a shop in Brislington, Bristol and eventually the shop in Hove closed.

In July 1986  George Bailey replaced Nick Stanbury as Managing Director of Kemp Models and Brian Brown was Executive Director of manufacturing, retail and advertising.

I have a catalogue dated 1994 from Puffers of  96 Micklegate York  and 134A Kenton Road Harrow.  There is a section devoted to Perseverance and Westward containing coach kits and parts as well as 18 loco kits, chassis kits, tenders and parts.

There are also 4 complete loco kits "Rod Neep design" as well as 6 by Iain Rice so it is amazing what has disappeared over the years.

I don't know if this adds anything to the story but it has taken me down memory lane.

Rodney

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RodneyS said:

I have a Westward Terrier kit WK16 which I bought from Kemp Models in Hove, near Brighton.

The blue box has a white label and states "Manufactured and distributed by Kemp Models 154 Church Road Hove".

By 1986 Kemp Models also had a shop in Brislington, Bristol and eventually the shop in Hove closed.

In July 1986  George Bailey replaced Nick Stanbury as Managing Director of Kemp Models and Brian Brown was Executive Director of manufacturing, retail and advertising.

I have a catalogue dated 1994 from Puffers of  96 Micklegate York  and 134A Kenton Road Harrow.  There is a section devoted to Perseverance and Westward containing coach kits and parts as well as 18 loco kits, chassis kits, tenders and parts.

There are also 4 complete loco kits "Rod Neep design" as well as 6 by Iain Rice so it is amazing what has disappeared over the years.

I don't know if this adds anything to the story but it has taken me down memory lane.

Rodney

Rodney

Thank you very much for the early years, my memory about Puffers dates from the 60's when I would as a teenager travel from Bushey (& Oxhey) station to Kenton as Puffers shop was located on the road bridge over the railway next to the track. As I said at that time  Westward kits were too expensive for my meagre resources, K's being affordable being complete kits

I was sent by Chris Parish a price list dated 2011 as I wanted a couple of Perseverance chassis kits, I have copied the loco kit section

LOCO KITS – WESTWARD NOT AVAILABLE White Metal Kits /Nickel Silver Chassis

WK01 GWR Diesel Railcar 18

WK03 GWR Railcars 35/36 (2 car)

WK04 GWR 54/64xx Pannier Tank

WK04C GWR 54xx 0-6-0PT & Romford Wheels

WK05 L&Y Hughes 3F

WK05C L&Y Hughes 3F & Romford Wheels

WK06 GWR 28/38XX 2-8-0 WK06c GWR 28/38xx with Romford Wheels

WK07 GWR 3500 gall Tender WK08 GWR 2900 Lady WK09 GWR Scott Atlantic

WK10 GWR Grange

WK10C GWR Grange with Romford Wheels

WK10NT GWR Grange without Tender

WK11 LSWR /SR T9 with 8 wheel Tender

WK11C LSWR/SR T9 above & Romford Wheels00.00

WK12 BR Rebuilt Railcar 33/38

WK13 LSWR 8Wheel Tender

WK14 LSWR T9 Sat 8 wheel Tender

WK15 LSWR/SR Beattie Well Tank

WK15C SR Beattie above & Romford Wheels 0.00

WK16 LBSCR Terrier WK17 LSWR 700 Class superheats

WK18 LSWR/SR 6wheel Tender

WK19 LSWR T9 Super Heat 6 wheel Tender

WK20 LSWR T9 Sat Ver.6 wheel tender

WK21 LSWR 700 Class Sat steam

WK22 SR West Country Decorated Plastic Body and Perservance Chassis Pack

WK23 Dean Goods 0-6-0 37.95

WK24 57xx Pannier 0-6-0 24.95

Note no further production of Whitemetal kits are planned until 2013

10 hours ago, RodneyS said:

Rodney

Chris closed Puffers of Kenton some time in the 80's and relocated the business up north, I thought to Pickering, he may have had a second shop in York at the same time as he had one in Kenton. I may bump into John Redrup (London Road Models fame) in a couple of weeks and will ask him if I get a chance 

I have 5 Westward locos, one being a Terrier like yours and as you say has a chassis very similar in design to those in the Perseverance range as has a Beattie Well Tank.

I have a Grange (WK10) where the etched brass etch seems to be of a different design where both the loco and tender have a simple etched (00 gauge) fold up design, It has no Rod Neep signature on the fret and no provision for either any form of compensation of EM/P4 gauge. 

I wonder if the chassis was designed by someone else, perhaps even been designed by another company and absorbed into the range ?

I also have a couple of railcars, one of which is a 2 car unit

Edited by hayfield

• RMweb Gold
On 10/09/2022 at 21:50, RodneyS said:

In July 1986  George Bailey replaced Nick Stanbury

So is it no coincidence that the name of the Brislington shop eventually changed to Bailies Dailies?

I remember going there back in the day, it was a well stocked shop, but I can't remember when the name changed or when it closed.

• RMweb Gold
On 11/09/2022 at 08:08, hayfield said:

WK04 GWR 54/64xx Pannier Tank

I have one of these made up (54XX) in P4, which uses Alan Gibson milled frames, instead of the ridiculously narrow etched frames provided with the kit (they even had an 'X04' motor cut out).

• Like 1

On 13/09/2022 at 20:05, Captain Kernow said:

So is it no coincidence that the name of the Brislington shop eventually changed to Bailies Dailies?

I remember going there back in the day, it was a well stocked shop, but I can't remember when the name changed or when it closed.

Bailies Dailies started as a newspaper shop and evolved into a model shop, then changed name to Kemp models.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, steam69 said:

Bailies Dailies started as a newspaper shop and evolved into a model shop, then changed name to Kemp models.

Ah, thanks for that. Memory plays tricks with the passing of time. I do recall the proprietor as being something of a 'character'.

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Ah, thanks for that. Memory plays tricks with the passing of time. I do recall the proprietor as being something of a 'character'.

I don't know what to think about that comment !

having worked for John Baggott for two and a half years just befor it almagated with Kemp models and the shop crossed the road to a different building John seamed normal to me ? Even if he used to exhibit a 009 rabbit warren in later years, Perhaps that says something about me, He also started up the Bristol 4-14 club covering BS4 and BS14 area's which elvolved in to the Bristol Brunel Model Railway Club which organised the show at temple meads old train shed for years

even after I left for a better paid job I still went to the now kemp models which John I think was a joint owner with kemp models I did not see a pleather of westward kits on the shelf's, but I do miss the bit's and bobs that are so hard to get now

P S John Baggott died last year

• RMweb Gold
On 15/09/2022 at 13:57, Graham456 said:

I don't know what to think about that comment !

having worked for John Baggott for two and a half years just befor it almagated with Kemp models and the shop crossed the road to a different building John seamed normal to me ?

P S John Baggott died last year

Well, no doubt your recollections are more accurate than mine! (perhaps I was thinking of someone else, it has been a very long time and I was only an occasional visitor to the shop). On the other hand, in my youthful shyness, many older people may have seemed like 'characters' to me at the time.

I'm sorry to hear that he has gone.

6 hours ago, hayfield said:

Two tank locos i have use Perseverance chassis, however the Grange loco uses a fold up 00 gauge etched chassis, closer to the style DJH uses, does anyone know why please

I've never seen a DJH chassis that is fold up. Maybe the older kits or the two starter kits had them?

Unfortunately I never had either of the two starter kits as I always thought they were a bit expensive for what they were. Small 0-4-0s, and there was better value elsewhere.

The ones in my pile all have chassis similar to Comet but with turned brass screw-in spacers. BR 4MT 2-6-4T, 7MT 4-6-2, 8P 4-6-2 (Duke), GWR Hall 4-6-0 and 1366 0-6-0PT. I was a bit nervous about buying them thinking they would be very complicated. But they look a doddle, well designed with parts that seem to fit well. Instructions for the ones that still have them seem a bit vague though. Very much of the "fit part 20 to part 21" and a 3D drawing variety.

Why do second hand kits always have missing instructions? What do they do with them!?

Jason

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I've never seen a DJH chassis that is fold up. Maybe the older kits or the two starter kits had them?

Unfortunately I never had either of the two starter kits as I always thought they were a bit expensive for what they were. Small 0-4-0s, and there was better value elsewhere.

The ones in my pile all have chassis similar to Comet but with turned brass screw-in spacers. BR 4MT 2-6-4T, 7MT 4-6-2, 8P 4-6-2 (Duke), GWR Hall 4-6-0 and 1366 0-6-0PT. I was a bit nervous about buying them thinking they would be very complicated. But they look a doddle, well designed with parts that seem to fit well. Instructions for the ones that still have them seem a bit vague though. Very much of the "fit part 20 to part 21" and a 3D drawing variety.

Why do second hand kits always have missing instructions? What do they do with them!?

Jason

Like all other makes DJH have evolved, early kits were similar to K's brass bar chassis and some even came with K's plastic centred wheels and the infamous HP2M motors. Not surprising as K's ended up in Banbury and DJH started in Banbury around the same time

They then went to have the thicker etched frames as you say included the round screwed spacers, I have a more modern kit with a more standard etched type chassis but I am certain I have a one piece fold up chassis to 00 gauge in a more modern kit

On 16/09/2022 at 20:04, Captain Kernow said:

youthful shyness, many older people may have seemed like 'characters' to me at the time.

Theirs also the posability I am as mad as John was, which is why I didn't notice, I will let you judge at the next staplegrove do !

• Friendly/supportive 1

Jason said

Maybe  with pre built kits the first owner didn't  need reminding of what he been through, and once built didn't think he would need to build it again,?

It's only us mad sods who take on sad cases stuck together with badly mixed aradite who  might need instructions, but I find that it's usually obitus where the boiler,footplate,tanks and the like go and photos of the real thing sort out the fiddly bits

as for unbuilt kits why do people lose instructions?

they most likely studied the instructions, over and over, then realised it was beyond them which is why you can buy the kit, the instructions are still on the work bench terrorising them !

Edited by Graham456
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, hayfield said:

Like all other makes DJH have evolved, early kits were similar to K's brass bar chassis and some even came with K's plastic centred wheels and the infamous HP2M motors. Not surprising as K's ended up in Banbury and DJH started in Banbury around the same time

They then went to have the thicker etched frames as you say included the round screwed spacers, I have a more modern kit with a more standard etched type chassis but I am certain I have a one piece fold up chassis to 00 gauge in a more modern kit

So why were the HP2M motors supplied for so long? Didn't they realise on test builds that they were rubbish. Perhaps they had purchased so many, that they thought that they couldn't afford to dump them.

24 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

So why were the HP2M motors supplied for so long? Didn't they realise on test builds that they were rubbish. Perhaps they had purchased so many, that they thought that they couldn't afford to dump them.

I think in another thread someone said they used K's quite a lot for the casting of early kits

The plastic spoked wheels with the D shaped axle holes were really ahead of their time and not appreciated by ham-fisted modellers like me of that time, but is anything with the axle which has a flat on it, it was ahead of its time

The HP2M is another thing, in some ways was a better design than the earlier motors, but poorly executed as was both prone to overheating and needed brass bearings for the shaft.

Most modellers like me just replaced the wheels and motors when they developed faults, consumer rights were unheard of. Having said this there are still locos working well with these wheels and motors

Westward wisely left the choice of wheels and motors to the buyers.