Bachman Spares

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Never really used this facility until I looked at Spare tender Tops for Standard 5s. I wanted a BR1F. 

Inexpensive, fully detailed and pristine. 

Then, as I had a bit of nose around, I found a Hall Body in BR Green. Wasn't looking but there it was and thus the working Chassis and Tender I was gifted by a now RIP friend, has a new Body and I have a 'brand new' Hall, DCC Ready, for not many pennies. 

OK so Bachman is a BIG operator, however another BIG operator could well do themselves a favour with availability of decent spares such as these, direct from HQ.

Transaction and delivery for both completed within 7 days.

Top marks Bachman.

Phil

• Like 6
  • Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

Some of the steam parts are low-ish on stock.

I've just grabbed a spare body (loco and tender) for one of my favourites that I've been holding off running for fear of damage and irreplaceability.

Surprised to see some limited edition bodies on there (namely A2 Blue Peter - even if as a 'first release' it had some assembly, interface and decoration issues).

I would be interested to see if/when some of the 'older' models like the A1 and A2 are upgraded to get bearings on their chassis (please please Bachmann), spare chassis blocks and wheel sets will be made available. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I wasn't aware of this facility until a few days ago. Previously, trying to get Bachmann spares was a real struggle, so the new arrangements are a Godsend.

Anyhow, thinking of all the various bits and bobs I could do with, I put an order in online over the weekend. It turned up in a little box a few minutes ago, which seems very good service indeed. Easy to use website as well, especially for an old technophobe like me!

John.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Are you looking "H", with the fragility of modern stock, this just what is needed (probably wasting my time!!) great stuff Bachmann,  I have always found their spares service very helpful even prior to seeing this site.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 07/09/2022 at 12:15, John Tomlinson said:

I wasn't aware of this facility until a few days ago. Previously, trying to get Bachmann spares was a real struggle, so the new arrangements are a Godsend.

Anyhow, thinking of all the various bits and bobs I could do with, I put an order in online over the weekend. It turned up in a little box a few minutes ago, which seems very good service indeed. Easy to use website as well, especially for an old technophobe like me!

John.

It’s never been a struggle. You just emailed the lovely lady who runs the spares service and she sorted whatever you needed. It’s just that it’s now all online. You could always get the bits.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

13 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

It’s never been a struggle. You just emailed the lovely lady who runs the spares service and she sorted whatever you needed. It’s just that it’s now all online. You could always get the bits.

Not in the days when you rang up it wasn't. You were subject to an inquest about when and where you bought the product, and asked to send in a receipt to prove you were the original purchaser. There was a clear resistance to enabling anyone to repair pre-owned items, or conduct modifications using Bachmann parts. I remember talking to a Bachmann Rep. once about this at a Show, he advised me to be somewhat economical with the truth if I rang up, so I'd be able to get the bits!

Perhaps in future before you leap down someone's throat to tell them in no uncertain terms that they're wrong, you might count to ten and question for a moment that what they've written is based on their experience which may not be the same as yours. As it is you come across as somewhat rude and didactic.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, micklner said:

Strange, I have bought parts via the phone from Bachmann,and was asked nothing other than the card details.

Perhaps you are thinking off DJH, who have(did) that kind of attitude.

Yes me too, never had a problem with Bacchy.........DJH, quite different.

Mike

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

My experience with Bachmann was some years ago, although I can't quite remember how many. I then gave up with them, finding things at East Kent models sometimes. Only very recently I discovered that the approach was now different. I know DJH will not accomodate requests, although they have on occasion had sales of excess stock that have been quite useful.

The main thing is that it is good that the situation has changed. I do feel quite strongly that all manufacturers should, for a reasonable period (to be defined), provide an accessible spares service that works. It is a great shame that Heljan, who were ably served by Howes for many years, seems to have gone backwards, with the approach now offered by Gaugemaster less than helpful.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

My experience with Bachmann was some years ago, although I can't quite remember how many. I then gave up with them, finding things at East Kent models sometimes. Only very recently discoverd that the approach was now different. I know DJH will not accomodate requests, although they have on occasion had sales of excess stock that have been quite useful.

The main thing is that it is good that the situation has changed. I do feel quite strongly that all manufacturers should, for a reasonable period (to be defined), provide an accessible spares service that works. It is a great shame that Heljan, who were ably served by Howes for many years, seems to have gone backwards, with the approach now offered by Gaugemaster less than helpful.

John.

I'm reluctant to say this but Hornby missed a trick after they had to replace a Bulleid Tender Top on one of their models; the provided one was wrong on the initial releases. For us SR WOEML Modellers of the era, Pacific Tender Tops for them would have been a blessing for  when a renumbering/naming job is being done for a loco not available RTR or out of production.

Ref DJH. The only time I got help was when I submitted old printed 'Replacement' Parts notes from Kits, even very old KIts bought online etc. I got decent replacement one piece Boilers for a couple of builds. Also their built Motors and Gearboxes, despite being a bit expensive, were excellent and no questions asked about that.

When their 4mm Kit range was still well bought, spares would have been a bonus but nah, no chance.

Now their 4mm range is almost dead as are most folk that want to build them (sorry). However, if you think how many DJH Kits must be actually in use, a range of Spares would have been/would be useful (until exhausted perhaps).

I do hope PDK may expand their range (e.g separate Tender Parts) if it is feasible, without having to make further etches or run further casts, and provide a service as did SEFC, who's Spares service was amazing. 

Phil  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Discovered this a few weeks ago and it really is astonishingly good

Jinty ruined by a [really] bad paint disaster - new body looking superb

57XX a bit tired after multiple identity changes and hard usage over the years - Great Western's finest

British Railways Robinson 04 - ROD body with Westinghouse pumps and re-railing jacks - Caledonian Railway

Thoroughly recommend the site - and yes, very addictive

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Balgrayhill said:

I dont think anyone was jumping down your throat, just relating their experience, just as you have.

For what its worth I've never been asked any questions even when buying enough spares to build near enough a complete model.

"Its NEVER been a struggle........You could ALWAYS get the bits". (My emphasis)

Sounds pretty didactic and aggressive to me.

I'm glad you've had a good experience, along with others, and indeed me last week!

John.

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

"Its NEVER been a struggle........You could ALWAYS get the bits". (My emphasis)

Sounds pretty didactic and aggressive to me.

I'm glad you've had a good experience, along with others, and indeed me last week!

John.

The original post had no capitalisation - you have grossly changed the context, and the aggressive tone has been created by you.

I read nothing of that character in the OP.

CJI.

One of my Warship class 42s dates from 1998, the other from 2004.  They both run beautifully, but to preserve my investment, I felt it a good idea to stock up on essential spares such as cardan shafts and bogie frames.

It was only after I had bought a few overpriced spares on eBay that I discovered the Bachmann spares site.  Not everything for my 20 year old + locomotives is available, but still plenty of useful items.  Far, far cheaper than eBay, and they are new parts, not “recovered”.

Payment was simple and service quick!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, teeinox said:

One of my Warship class 42s dates from 1998, the other from 2004.  They both run beautifully, but to preserve my investment, I felt it a good idea to stock up on essential spares such as cardan shafts and bogie frames.

It was only after I had bought a few overpriced spares on eBay that I discovered the Bachmann spares site.  Not everything for my 20 year old + locomotives is available, but still plenty of useful items.  Far, far cheaper than eBay, and they are new parts, not “recovered”.

Payment was simple and service quick!

When searching for particular loco's on EBay, I have found that some sellers have split a loco into parts; most usually Chassis, Body and Tender, but sometimes even more split! Shocking rip off prices usually and maybe catching the unwary!

Hornby Spares are available of course from some Traders. I find Lendon's of Cardiff is the easiest site to find things as I find the Peter's Spares site a real challenge. Such a shame as he has such a lot of stuff.

1 hour ago, 313201 said:

I don't suppose they sell complete class 40 bogies plus sideframes or a complete chassis made before the addition of lights do they

Depending on what theses cost, you might find ebay a better bet. I noticed a D325 green split headcode (of the original issue) in good condition went for £50 yesterday.

I'm sure you could recoup something from selling the body.

In fact a lot of older production generally seems to go for quite reasonable prices, certainly compared to new issues.

John.

2 hours ago, 313201 said:

I don't suppose they sell complete class 40 bogies plus sideframes or a complete chassis made before the addition of lights do they

Looks like they do, but if you're working to a budget check out ekmexhibitions.co.uk - and note the deal for buying a 'matched pair'. You may have to call or email them to confirm that what they're selling meets your requirements as the description is a bit vague. No connection, satisfied customer etc.

• Like 1