Fascinating old adverts for railway equipment

15 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

The unit looks to be in the original 1930s LMS livery.

I agree, but what about the location, it looks like the line West of Hunts Cross station but looking back East towards Widnes?

Found the same picture in LMS Coaches. Date circa. 1946, train in service. The destination board says 'Southport' though this is the back of the train (note the tail lamp). It could still be heading towards Southport if the information was changed at both ends to provide passenger information at a terminal platform. I'm afraid I have no idea where though.

• Like 1

Perhaps the pensions ad is not particularly railway related, but look at the lovely artwork on the advert for the railway ticket suppliers 'A&V. Schulze'

R141.jpg.a5d18f3d426bd544c5fc6a57ccc6fb2a.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

The slight bend in the doors makes me think of A or C stock. I never imagined they might be made by someone other than the maker of the body panels.

I know what you mean, imagine the potential for slight misalignments between the sliding doors and the rest of the body shell with two manufacturers involved. Unless they had a jig with the doors in place and fabricated the rest of the body around them?

6 hours ago, D7063 said:

A little something on this stormy afternoon... I'm sure 'Len Fairclough' was a character in coronation street :)

R142.jpg

Just noticed on the 'Dialoy' advert, does it really say that they supply diecast windscreens!!!!! (obviously they must be making reference to the frame part - I hope)

• Funny 1

Posted (edited)

Fascinating BR adverts for railway equipment.

From MikeyAshworth's rather excellent flickr which has loads of similar adverts and pamphlets.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36844288@N00/albums/

Might be of interest to @SouthernBlue80s who was interested in a container at Lowestoft, @mabel @davetheroad and others interested in containers. What can your container contain?

British Railways freight containers for door - to - door transport : booklet : November 1961

British Railways containers for door - to - door transport : booklet : November 1961 : Introduction and page 2

British Railways containers for door - to - door transport : booklet : November 1961 : pages 3 and 4

British Railways containers for door - to - door transport : booklet : November 1961 : pages 5 and 6

British Railways containers for door - to - door transport : booklet : November 1961 : pages 7 and 8

British Railways containers for door - to - door transport : booklet : November 1961 : pages 9 and 10

Edited by Morello Cherry
Now in page order.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 23/04/2024 at 15:10, D7063 said:

I agree, but what about the location, it looks like the line West of Hunts Cross station but looking back East towards Widnes?

Somewhere between Liverpool Exchange and Southport Lord Street, perhaps towards Aintree or Ormskirk, given the period. 

Services towards Hunts Cross only started in the mid 70s when the loop line and repurposing of Liverpool Central and the electrification of the CLC line to Hunts Cross was completed.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Somewhere between Liverpool Exchange and Southport Lord Street, perhaps towards Aintree or Ormskirk, given the period. 

Services towards Hunts Cross only started in the mid 70s when the loop line and repurposing of Liverpool Central and the electrification of the CLC line to Hunts Cross was completed.

Ahh, thanks for the info :)

Good evening all, Frogs and buffers for you! Those familiar with Latin may know that the Toad is (not only a brakevan) 'Bufo -Bufo' if I recall correctly - and that's close enough to 'buffer' for me to claim a tenuous link between these two ads on a Sunday night!R143.jpg.527f9140f9aaec8c4c6d68863dffa8ac.jpg

• Like 3