N Gauge Models - Livery differences between Dapol and Farish

Hi Folks!

is there a large difference of the liveries between Dapol and Farish? I had read that Dapol models are lighter than Farish / Farish Models are darker (too dark?) that Dapol. Can the community confirm this?

I'm interested in Modelling the Late 1950s/Early 1960s. How do Dapol Collett and Gresley Coaches look in comparision to Farish Mk1 Coaches in Maroon and Crimson & Cream? How do Locomotives in Green (Steam and DIesel) look in comparision?

Edited by Stefen1988

There are some variations even within brands. I run maroon Hawkesworth coaches with Dapol Gresleys and the colour seems to match well. I think the maroon Collets are also fine with the Farish maroon. I think some of the crimson & cream liveries are somewhat "iffy" on the Dapol stock but I don't own any. One thing to consider is that paint colours, especially back in the 50s & 60s tended to fade quite badly so having coaches with differing shades of the same colour might well be more realistic than having them all the same. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In my experience Dapol's interpretation of Rail Blue on some of its models — especially the earlier ones — is much more greenish than Farish's although the more recent ones I've tried, the class 22 and 33, are closer to Farish.

As for crimson and cream, there's a distinct difference between the crimson used on Dapol's Collett coaches (looks almost orange to me) and their Gresley coaches. But looking at photographs taken during the era, the colour appears to vary widely.

Many dyes used to be unstable as well. The local (Gateshead) buses used to be a dark maroon colour (1960) that relied on several coats of paint and varnish. They spent some time trying to come up with a similar colour that could be applied more cheaply, but in the end painted the buses green and cream instead. I reckon green was for many years, more stable — nearly all the main state-owned railways in Continental Europe painted most of their coaches this colour.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

As for crimson and cream, there's a distinct difference between the crimson used on Dapol's Collett coaches (looks almost orange to me) and their Gresley coaches.

When I looked on pictures from Dapol or Hattons, I was always thinking that something is odd on the colors... Also the cream on the Collett Coaches looks much different to their Gresleys and Farish Coaches. Also the crimson on pictures of Dapol Maunsells look more like burgundy, red with a tip of violet in it to me.

Edited by Stefen1988

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I reckon green was for many years, more stable — nearly all the main state-owned railways in Continental Europe painted most of their coaches this colour

And blue was the least stable of the main colours.

What colour did BR pick for their new corporate livery?😄

• RMweb Premium

You’d need to look at each model in isolation. Even among certain liveries there’s a lot of variation, it certainly isn’t the case that one is always darker or whatever. In general I think Farish’s efforts are better, and Dapol more commonly make livery errors. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, njee20 said:

You’d need to look at each model in isolation. Even among certain liveries there’s a lot of variation, it certainly isn’t the case that one is always darker or whatever. In general I think Farish’s efforts are better, and Dapol more commonly make livery errors. 

And it's not just the colours to consider,  Farish printing also tends to be finer and also have more accurate logos, typefaces etc.

Jo

• Agree 1

How do Farish Mk1 in Maroon look in relation to Dapol Gresleys and Collets in Maroon?

11 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

The difference in carmine/cream livery between Dapol (Collett) and Farish (Hawksworth - top) is so marked that they look wrong mixed in the same rake.

Your Farish Hawksworth looks like a Dapol Gresley to me?

Edited by Stefen1988
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Dapol's output across the board is often riddled with livery and decoration errors. Having to all but completely repaint brand new out of the box models from Dapol is not uncommon. 

• RMweb Premium

Dapol and Farish's renditions of BR Maroon are quite similar - certainly good enough to run in the same train without one or other looking out of place.

Crimson/Cream is more varied between the two manufacturers. Dapol is the most inconsistent of the two - the image above shows a Gresley (top) and Collett (bottom).

Their versions of BR Green are similar enough - there's little difference between a Dapol 22 and a Farish 40 for example.

Farish's version of BR Blue looks OK to me, which Dapol's interpretation has varied over the years, often being overly green. Dapol struggle with triple grey livery - their early class 56 and 58s were quite poor. Yet their red-stripe grey is OK.

Dapol often have trouble with consistency between batches (Mk3 roof colours in particular varying in shade or matt/satin finish), and with liveries not matching the prototype - the BR Blue and Intercity MK3 sleepers were particularly poor in this respect. I some cases they've matched with repainted preserved coaches and not what was running on the national network at the time the livery in question was common.

Steven B.

• Like 1