Accurascale Goes Bananas! SR D1478 and D1479 Diagram Banana Vans in OO/4mm

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Matt35027 said:

Sorry, I meant when might we see the decorated samples!

They are being produced at this very moment Matt and there's still a chance they could arrive for Ally Pally. If not, it will be within a couple of weeks.

All the best,

Paul

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 08/10/2022 at 14:15, Cwmtwrch said:

Nothing to do with Fyffes, who never used the Royal Albert Dock [they did use the West India Dock for a period after WW2]; this was the other large importer of the period, whose trade was also increasing, Jamaica Producers.

Fyffes company histories are clear that there was no import of bananas between 1940 and 1946. They challenged the 1940 decision, but in vain; possibly the diagram was prepared for an eventuality which never arose? Or possibly it relates in some way to their wartime use as insulated meat vans? This is the first time I have come across reference to green markings, so I don't have an answer.

Geest labels could not have appeared before 1954, as they were not involved in the banana trade until 1953, and not under their own name until 1954. Bothe Fyffes and Jamaica producers had labels, but these would not have appeared, so far as I know, until after Government control ceased in 1953.

New banana vans from 1957 had increased insulation and through steam pipes but no steam heating, with yellow spots. From that year also, SR 1478, SR 1479, LNER 140 and BR 1/242 vans started to be converted on overhaul to the same specification, also with yellow spots; the SR vans had their vacuum pipes moved to the bufferbeam [as shown in the photographs posted!], and other vans were withdrawn. Steam through pipes were necessary as all vans were mixed indiscriminately. The 'conversion or withdrawal' process was completed in 1963; from then on steam pipes were removed on the next visit to works. 1961 has no significance in this context.

I work in P4 so I am interested in the conversion question - the potential problem is not the axles but the location of the brake shoes in relation to the wheels. Will the shoes clear P4 wheels, please, or will I have to move the brake shoes?

Just received a copy of Dave Larkin’s Pre-Nationalisation Wagons of British Railways today.  Has a 1965 Don Rowland photo of a dia 1479 van in Millerhill yard.  The vacuum pipe has been repositioned but the steam pipes are still in place.

Was the southern still removing steam pipes in summer at that time or was that for loco’s only?

5 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

I don't think anybody ever removed the pipes from anything in the summer - just the 'bags' !

🙈 Quite!I should have looked in ‘Hose Who’ !

Edited by Chuffed 1
Addition
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I don't think anybody ever removed the pipes from anything in the summer - just the 'bags' !

Yes BUT the steam heating pipe Instructions only applied to Passenger Trains. (which would have also included passenger stock in Mixed Trains).  Pipes on freight vehicles carrying traffic that needed to be heated by steam - i.e. bananas - were not covered by the Instructions.

Although the exact date varied a little iover the years basically steam pipes were removed from passenger vehicles between early/mid June and were required to be in place by the last week in August (previously that latter date had been 1 September).   The dates for heatng assenger trains varied according to the nature of the train, e.j g. Sleeping Car trains were heated over a longer period than all other passenger trains.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

These look phenomenal - especially the distressing effects - but how far do those tension lock couplings stick out?! I wish manufacturers would follow the excellent example of the Bachmann short straight design of tension lock.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, BenL said:

These look phenomenal - especially the distressing effects - but how far do those tension lock couplings stick out?! I wish manufacturers would follow the excellent example of the Bachmann short straight design of tension lock.

Agreed - though not a TL user, I do fit NEM pockets. On kit built wagons, there is rarely any problem getting the Parkside / Peco NEM fittings at the correct height, and with the face of the pocket directly below the face of the bufferbeam.

To me, nothing looks more toy-like than a gaping chasm between adjacent bufferheads. It isn't rocket science to fit coupler pockets at a more appropriate position, and / or use shorter couplers.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, BenL said:

but how far do those tension lock couplings stick out?

Our Banana Vans come with the short tension locks fitted (and additional NEM spacer adapters are supplied for those that want to use Kadees, or similar), but following complaints earlier in the thread, for these pictures the full size tensions have been fitted. Looks like we cannot win either way! 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

It isn't rocket science to fit coupler pockets at a more appropriate position, and / or use shorter couplers.

If you check back earlier in the thread, you will see that these vans are already being supplied with shorter couplers.

Edited by Islesy
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Islesy said:

If you check back earlier in the thread, you will see that these vans are already being supplied with shorter couplers.

Apologies if this has also been covered previously, Islesy, but are the NEM mounts detachable parts or will we who do not require them need to resort to our trusty Xurons? 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Apologies if this has also been covered previously, Islesy, but are the NEM mounts detachable parts or will we who do not require them need to resort to our trusty Xurons? 

John

“Trusty Xurons” reminds me of the classic and cliched late 80s Practical Photography phrase “my trusty BenBo”!

The NEM pockets are detachable John, and for you and @gwrrob we’ll pop an underside photo up later on today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I daren't ask!

Mike.

Certainly not 'drop in' Mike - but they are on 26mm pinpoints. If you're going EM/P4 there'll need to be some fettling involved on the brake shoes, and there's some piping to negotiate.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Islesy said:

Certainly not 'drop in' Mike - but they are on 26mm pinpoints. If you're going EM/P4 there'll need to be some fettling involved on the brake shoes, and there's some piping to negotiate.

That I can live with if they are not promoted as such, I'm assuming they are the correct diameter and you aren't using up the remaining mineral wagon wheels?!!

Mike.

• Funny 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 10/10/2023 at 17:21, gwrrob said:

I've had several emails today telling me these are on their way.😉

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1