Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Porfuera said:

I agree. I decided to bite the bullet today and order the blue Class 08 and the three TTAs for it to push around. I can't exactly remember the delivery dates but they were something like winter 22/23 for the Class 08 (so now at least Feb next year I guess) and I think it was summer for the TTAs (slightly disappointing).

I would have preferred the 21T minerals to the TTAs but these were not even available to preorder - they were only available to wishlist and to receive an email notification when they're in stock. However maybe I was late to the party and the initial allocation of the 21T minerals has sold out already.

I keep telling myself that there is no rush as I don't actually have anywhere to run them and that these dates are probably fairly short compared to some development/marketing/release cycles that have happened in the past.

But then I'm probably not the target audience for these products and anyone hoping to buy something for a Christmas present will be disappointed and sales will almost certainly be lost.

You might get some PECO wagons before that……who knows?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

46 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

You might get some PECO wagons before that……who knows?

Maybe - but I won't be holding my breath. Or maybe Heljan will be back in by then 😀

Having just flicked through the TT:120 Club mag...

The Class 08s are given as Phase 1, due to arrive in January (maybe Feb now?)

The 21T minerals, HAAs and TTAs are Phase 2 due to arrive in January, April and August respectively. The 21T minerals will cover three eras (4, 5 and 6), so three versions rather than the single version that is on the website (that seems to be having an identity crisis when it comes to which era it belongs to - I think I've seen it listed in Eras 3, 5 and 8, depending on which filters you choose).

I guess all dates are subject to change. Apologies if any of this has been mentioned before.

Cheers, Neil.

Edited by Porfuera
Typo

One thing the arrival of the club mag cleared up for me was the fact I couldn't see any vents on the 'vent van'. From the side view it looked like a BR Diagram 1/108 and I was hoping they'd produce more of them with different numbers but the picture on page 8 of two preproduction models clearly shows it has planked rather than corrugated steel ends and the vents are almost flush with the ends. This van is being marketeted as both a BR van and an LNER van when it is clearly neither (LNER vans normally had slide rather than hinged doors). The nearest I have been able to find is a GWR van.

The good news is that the underframe details look quite fine and they have actually got the brake gear on both sides the right way round, including a representation of the reversing gear, which so many RTR models in the past have got wrong. I do hope they make this underframe available as a spare part as it has possibilities for use under umpteen different bodies!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Porfuera said:

hink I've seen it listed in Eras 3, 5 and 8, depending on which filters you choose)

I always had the impression that the Hornby website listed the eras ad random. Even the shortcuts to the different eras had locos from the wrong period on it!

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

I believe Hornby mentioned they had missed the Christmas deadline a few weeks ago just after launch.

I believe that SK said that some might be airfreighted, so theoretically someone might get theirs for Christmas.  I'll just have to get myself a consolation present!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, HSB said:

One thing the arrival of the club mag cleared up for me was the fact I couldn't see any vents on the 'vent van'. From the side view it looked like a BR Diagram 1/108 and I was hoping they'd produce more of them with different numbers but the picture on page 8 of two preproduction models clearly shows it has planked rather than corrugated steel ends and the vents are almost flush with the ends. This van is being marketeted as both a BR van and an LNER van when it is clearly neither (LNER vans normally had slide rather than hinged doors). The nearest I have been able to find is a GWR van.

The good news is that the underframe details look quite fine and they have actually got the brake gear on both sides the right way round, including a representation of the reversing gear, which so many RTR models in the past have got wrong. I do hope they make this underframe available as a spare part as it has possibilities for use under umpteen different bodies!

I looked at their Train Terminal blog 10th October entry (members only) at the end of the blog, is an image of the van with the running number E145841, it's a GWR 10T version with planked ends. Should be numbered with W prefix. 

However their shop lists it as TT 6006, running number E156874.

Unfortunately Hornby's not posted any end or 3/4 views of their van TT6007, running number B777345, which should be a BR version with corrugated steel ends.

Unless Hornby releases more images I'm still none the wiser which versions are actually modelled.

I'm hoping Hornby will model a GWR version with planked ends and a BR version with corrugated ends

Edited by gc4946
clarification of details seen online
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I believe that SK said that some might be airfreighted, so theoretically someone might get theirs for Christmas.  I'll just have to get myself a consolation present!

He did…….we will find out eventually.

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, gc4946 said:

Unless Hornby releases more images I'm still none the wiser which versions are actually modelled.

I'm hoping Hornby will model a GWR version with planked ends and a BR version with corrugated ends

Even in side view, the ironwork shows clearly that it is the GWR design (compare here), the same one Hornby make in 00.

• Like 1

I've just looked at a posting on Farcebook with a pic of one of the inner pages of the mag.

Included in the steamers for release (3?) is a Peppercorn A1.    Interesting.  I thought it was Hornby treading on Bachmann's toes until I realised there is a Hornby Tornado (I think).

They could, of course, still be treading on Bachmann's toes with a genuine Peppercorn A1.  60124 KENILWORTH anyone?

Les

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

I've just looked at a posting on Farcebook with a pic of one of the inner pages of the mag.

Included in the steamers for release (3?) is a Peppercorn A1.    Interesting.  I thought it was Hornby treading on Bachmann's toes until I realised there is a Hornby Tornado (I think).

They could, of course, still be treading on Bachmann's toes with a genuine Peppercorn A1.  60124 KENILWORTH anyone?

Les

Just looked through the magazine. There's no Peppercorn locos in it, only Gresley A1's & A3's (and A4's of course).

Hornby do the Tornado in 00, but it's not been announced for TT.  Are you sure it wasn't a 00 advert somewhere?

19 minutes ago, Moxy said:

Just looked through the magazine. There's no Peppercorn locos in it, only Gresley A1's & A3's (and A4's of course).

Hornby do the Tornado in 00, but it's not been announced for TT.  Are you sure it wasn't a 00 advert somewhere?

There isn't a picture of a Peppercorn A1, but the text on page 33 indicates that they are considering one in the future

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, 5Dublo2 said:

There isn't a picture of a Peppercorn A1, but the text on page 33 indicates that they are considering one in the future

You're right there is, I had missed that when I first read it.

I don't really see how that could be considered as treading on Bachmann's toes, since they are not making it in TT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moxy said:

You're right there is, I had missed that when I first read it.

I don't really see how that could be considered as treading on Bachmann's toes, since they are not making it in TT.

Bachmann weren't due to make a J72 in N either (not started and decided they wouldn't sell), but announced one in time to kill off Dapol's.........

Les

I don't think that there are many advantages in TT:120 over N gauge. For instance the layout in 'Getting Started' in  the TT:120 Club Magazine on page 28 is 5' x 3' 6" which is massive for a single piece baseboard and totally impractical to take to a model railway exhibition or a model railway club,

The same layout in N gauge would take up a space of 4' 1" x 2'9" which would probably fit in a medium size hatchback.

The TT:120 locomotives, rolling stock and accessories look better than the N gauge models so this could be a wake up call for Bachmann and Dapol to improve some of their models and to reduce the time lag on producing their models. For instance it is around 10 years between when Dapol announced the West Country locomotives and their appearance which has not happened yet. In contrast the lag time for Hornby's sets is a few months.

46 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

Hornby TT:120 Club magazine page 13. SK answering the editor's question 'What are those advantages?' I think SK gets carried away sometimes.

8 hours ago, TomE said:

Brave words to put in print in this day and age

0AF20148-B806-4AB5-9BFC-DDAD88636CB8_1_201_a.jpeg.70c2c72447b4d236aa7352cca7014f86.jpeg

The scale not the only outdated thing at Hornby it seems. 

Tom.  

And it's rather said that something said/written in jest is taken so seriously by someone else... Sign of the times, sadly, that one can't say anything these days without someone reading far more into something and taking "offence"... 🙄

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Hobby said:

And it's rather said that something said/written in jest is taken so seriously by someone else... Sign of the times, sadly, that one can't say anything these days without someone reading far more into something and taking "offence"... 🙄

Well I’m not going down that rabbit hole, but I have to wonder if using lazy, outdated, casually sexist language to sell model trains to the modern family is a valid marketing strategy in 2023.

Tom. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 17
  • Funny 1

7 minutes ago, TomE said:

lazy, outdated, casually sexist language 

A bit OTT for that comment, I'd suggest, mountain out of molehill springs to mind... I'll leave it at that, seems no-one has a sense of humour these days.

Edited by Hobby
  • Agree 4

4 hours ago, Hobby said:

A bit OTT for that comment, I'd suggest...I'll leave it at that, seems no-one has a sense of humour these days.

Whilst I agree with you, I think the issue here is that it is far easier to 'get' the humour when stuff like that is spoken especially when you can also see the facial expression on the person speaking. When it's written down the humour can be lost far more easily - some see it. others don't 

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Hobby said:

A bit OTT for that comment, I'd suggest...I'll leave it at that, seems no-one has a sense of humour these days.

Wokism at its worst.

Just ban everything, that way no one will be offended.☹️

No doubt someone will then be offended because there's nothing to be offended by.😏

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1