RMweb

Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

19 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

Seems like a popular combination.  I did order the blue 08 but cancelled - wouldn't have done if it had been green to shunt the Mk1 coaches.......

Mines early preservation era with BR still working a pick up goods over the same line. Unlikely but who cares!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

All those people cancelling their orders because they think it will just sit in a box unused, I would be more than happy to take it off your hands for free and save you space in your cupboards 😉.

My Scotsman set was 165/1011 according to the written number on the cardboard shipping box. It arrived 23/12/22.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

46 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Exactly...

The Easterner and a green 08 would have "Minories" written all over it.  Instead, when the set arrives, its going to be the basis of a double track roundy.  And as it has been discovered that the new Hornby TT120 track is more or less compatible with Triang TT3 wheels, I'll be able to exercise my old TT3 stock on the layout too, though not at the same time as the new stuff...

My 3mm stuff won't run on Hornby or peco 12mm track no matter how many times I've tried! Coz it's 2.2mm out of gauge🤣

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, bradfordbuffer said:

My 3mm stuff won't run on Hornby or peco 12mm track no matter how many times I've tried! Coz it's 2.2mm out of gauge🤣

Ahhhhh.....

A P3 adherent!  🤪

Please don't take that seriously.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Ahhhhh.....

A P3 adherent!  🤪

Please don't take that seriously.....

Don't think it's got a snappy title like that!....the true p3ers will tell you that 14.2mm gauge isn't a true gauge....but they all are compromises...does it look right does it run! That's all that matters...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, andrewshimmin said:

All those people cancelling their orders because they think it will just sit in a box unused, I would be more than happy to take it off your hands for free and save you space in your cupboards 😉.

My Scotsman set was 165/1011 according to the written number on the cardboard shipping box. It arrived 23/12/22.

You were lucky to get by Christmas - now all sold out........

I ordered a Scotsman set on Boxing day and it arrived yesterday . Box was number 132/2011.

Looks very nice but the loco is on its way back to Hornby. I've never had a duff Hornby loco bought new before so it must be my turn.  Whoever assembled it neglected to put the trailing wheels into the carrier before tightening up the screw on the locating plate for it under the cab.  Very pleasant phone call to Hornby and off it has gone- postage to be refunded.  Not an issue as I'm not desperate to run trains round and round and have enough stock to plan the layout when Peco get their small radius points to me.

On the other hand the Pullmans look superb and run very well, though they do look odd behind an Arnold 2-10-0 for now...  Only long-term downside on the Hornby 4-6-2 is the lack of a front coupling.

Les

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Les1952 said:

I ordered a Scotsman set on Boxing day and it arrived yesterday . Box was number 132/2011.

Looks very nice but the loco is on its way back to Hornby. I've never had a duff Hornby loco bought new before so it must be my turn.  Whoever assembled it neglected to put the trailing wheels into the carrier before tightening up the screw on the locating plate for it under the cab.  Very pleasant phone call to Hornby and off it has gone- postage to be refunded.  Not an issue as I'm not desperate to run trains round and round and have enough stock to plan the layout when Peco get their small radius points to me.

On the other hand the Pullmans look superb and run very well, though they do look odd behind an Arnold 2-10-0 for now...  Only long-term downside on the Hornby 4-6-2 is the lack of a front coupling.

Les

I'm glad Hornby's sorting out the loco for you.

At the moment not too concerned at the lack of a front coupling, because my layout under construction is roundy-roundy.

However that would be an issue if modellers wanted to run an end to end heritage railway or engine shed layout.

I hope on later production runs Hornby retools the bogie to allow a front coupling to be fitted and offer that as a spare part for upgrade.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

On 01/01/2023 at 09:26, gc4946 said:

At the moment not too concerned at the lack of a front coupling, because my layout under construction is roundy-roundy.

However that would be an issue if modellers wanted to run an end to end heritage railway or engine shed layout.

I hope on later production runs Hornby retools the bogie to allow a front coupling to be fitted and offer that as a spare part for upgrade.

The late great  John Allen (of Gorre & Dapehtid fame) once said that he didn't consider a model locomotive to be a locomotive if it didn't have a front coupling!

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

21 minutes ago, Porfuera said:

I've just read an eBay alert that I received yesterday at 15:23 for The Scotsman set - it has sold already for £229.00 plus £10 postage.

There's always at least one sucker...

• Agree 1

On 01/01/2023 at 09:26, gc4946 said:

I don't think locos on engine shed layouts need any couplings....

(Apart from maybe an odd shunter to shunt coal wagons around).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

I don't think locos on engine shed layouts need any couplings....

(Apart from maybe an odd shunter to shunt coal wagons around).

But as someone has already mentioned, for anyone thinking of modelling (for example) a preserved railway where the loco just runs around and doesn't get turned then they're going to be unlucky.

Edited by Porfuera

6 hours ago, joe cassidy said:

I have a question about track pins. These do not feature in the catalogue.

Does anyone know whether OO or N gauge track pins would be most suitable ?

Thanks in advance.

Looking at the track I'd use Peco N-gauge track pins, to go with the fishplates.

Les

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Les1952 said:

Looking at the track I'd use Peco N-gauge track pins, to go with the fishplates.

Les

Or is @joe cassidy talking about Hornby track as he mentions the catalogue? I'd guess the holes in both Hornby track types (OO and TT:120) would be the same as long as the TT:120 sleepers are wide enough but I don't have any (yet!) so I can't confirm.

However as Les says the Peco track pins would do the job for either Hornby or Peco track.

Edited by Porfuera
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Peco track pins are long and thin. They can be prone to bending (using a pin-pusher helps avoid this). More seriously, if your baseboard is fairly thin the point can penetrate to the reverse side. They aren't specifically N gauge, IIRC.

Fleischmann and Atlas track pins can be obtained in the U.K. — the former from Gaugemaster. The Fleischmann pins are round about the same diameter as the Peco but significantly shorter so don't have the same issues. They are intended specifically for N gauge.

• Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Robin Brasher said:

I used track screws supplied by Alan S Robinson for my 00 and N gauge layouts.  These are much better than track pins and you can easily remove the track by unscrewing the screws.

I had a few problems with my Hornby TT order today but I got there in the end

P1010962.JPG

The track screws look very good. I wonder whether any of them would be suitable for the Hornby TT track? I've emailed Alan to ask.

I didn't realise there was enough stuff available yet on the Hornby TT website to actually spend any money 😉.