Hornby announce TT:120

AY Mod

Just watched the latest Beyond the buffers video with the demo of the class 50 on their test layout. Design engineer Sam went through the lighting and sound options and it seems a good model, although there were no close up views of it. 

I am hoping the cabs are all new design with proper shaped cab windscreens, and if they are it will entertain. The test train was four blue and grey "coffins" head by 50007 Sir Edward Elgar in GW150 livery. 

I think the TT:120 brand is developing creedence

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 hours ago, smr248 said:

Why coffins?  I'm thinking that the closest thing to coffins are Pendolinos but obviously i don't know very much about that era (despite being there)...

Back in the day, thats what we 'Bashers'  called the MK2 D-F air-con coaches, espesially if the air-con was not working.  MK1's or MK2 A-C coaches being preffered with the windows fully open so you can hear the loco(s) working.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, smr248 said:

Why coffins?  I'm thinking that the closest thing to coffins are Pendolinos but obviously i don't know very much about that era (despite being there)...

"IrishMail" explained  correctly.

I think the Mk2D-F were the first coaches with sealed saloons, but still droplights in the vestibules. 

• Like 2

Anyone used the magnetic Hunt type coupling from West Hill Wagon works?

I think the couplings on the Hornby stuff are nice and discreet, and I like the close coupling, but they aren't great at coupling up unless they're presented to one another dead straight. And uncoupling is rather cumbersome.

Would the magnetic type be better?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Another TT:120 video from the guy at This Way Works - this time a home-printed Jinty with Hornby TXS sound, lights, firebox flicker and stayalive, running on a chassis that is mostly built on N Gauge Farish Poole diesel bits and bobs.

I'm no expert on Jintys (Jinties - ?) so I don't know how accurate the body or chassis wheels/spacing are so maybe the purists shouldn't watch but I love this guy's ingenuity in getting stuff running using mostly bits from a parts box and anyway from a distance it looks like a Jinty when compared to the photos.

And it shows what can be done with such small locos. I wish Hornby had gone a bit further with their Class 08 and a least provided sound (the guy at This Way Works has done that and much more) but I guess they were keeping costs down.

Maybe this is the wrong thread for this video as there isn't a lot of Hornby in it, although it is running on Hornby's layout at GETS. And there are at least some Hornby 10 foot wagon chassis in the video but with home-printed bodies (again, not very prototypical, I think, especially with 'This Way Works' printed on the side in the style of 'Hornby A Model World') but maybe that's a way forward for those still dissing the Hornby 7-plank wagons because they don't have a 9 foot chassis (and yes there are still people complaining about that).

@andrewshimmin the wagons have magnetic couplings so I hope that will provide some help or info for your couplings question above.

Cheers,

Neil.

Edited by Porfuera
Mis-spellings (fat fingers!)
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, andrewshimmin said:

I think the couplings on the Hornby stuff are nice and discreet, and I like the close coupling, but they aren't great at coupling up unless they're presented to one another dead straight. And uncoupling is rather cumbersome.

I'm using the Hunt couplings extensively on my TT gauge stuff - basically the vast majority of the stuff I don't want to shunt.  They fit the NEM pockets very well- I've only broken one coupler head by shoving too hard, which given my dyspraxia is better than I would expect...

For stuff I have to shunt I'm using the Dapol N-gauge Easi-shunts, which work better on TT than they do on N.  This is because the centring springs are stronger on TT stock, meaning that when the coupler pin gets moved to one side, rather than the whole coupler going with the pin, the jaws actually open almost every time.  In addition the heavier stick means that the couplers stay coupled when being pulled and stock stays closer rather better when being pushed.

Les

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, Hobby said:

I understand he uses Lincoln bodies and those Corgi statics for most of his conversions. They rescale the 3mm stuff to TT120. He posts a lot on FB.

Are you thinking of Garry Hall?

This Way Works is Richard Bayliss - he does a lot of N Gauge fixes and chip installations but is getting into TT:120 now it is gathering momentum. He did the TT:120 Class 08 installation with Hornby Next18 sound, lights, flywheel, stayalive and crew - I think I posted his how-to video here and/or on the TT:120 Class 08 thread.

I don't think Garry Hall does his own 3D prints or uses DCC, but as you say he has done an impressive number of loco conversions and I posted a link to one of his videos on the Peco wagons thread because he was one of the first (possibly the first) to post photos of the new Peco wagons and he did a mini-review/comparision against the Hornby ones.

Edited by Porfuera

With these kinds of conversion, the scale is kicking off. It enters an ingenious phase, possible because of reasonably available RTR stuff, that people are not scared to take the knife to. If you destroy it, you can buy another. 

TT in the US never got to that, because each individual thing you'd buy would end up being a collectors' item.  Sometimes quite an awful one, but you knew someone would pay over the odds for it!!

Edited by teletougos
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 20/10/2023 at 07:20, britishcolumbian said:

... but anything smaller than TT is just too small IMO: the focus is no longer the trains, but the scenery; the trains are just a part of the scenery.

Well yes, that’s precisely why those of us who prefer N choose it. 

For me creating an entire, plausible scene is the point. The locomotives and rolling stock are just the actors in the play. 

I am very interested in following TT120’s progress, and having seen and operated the HST and Class 50 at GETS I think the scale has enormous potential. 

cheers

Ben A. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 20/10/2023 at 06:20, britishcolumbian said:

If that's most important for you, go for Z... but anything smaller than TT is just too small IMO: the focus is no longer the trains, but the scenery; the trains are just a part of the scenery.

Lack of 'heft' or presence. That's what makes TT special, smallest size where that quality is present. Shows up most notably in the Hungarian guy's pictures and videos image.png.0c049d5d4adced0af41e399789981e67.png

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

I love TT as a scale, that little bit more presence than N but still compact enough to represent scale length trains within a sensible space and do scenic modelling with a large vista. However, for me I'll stick with N for smaller stuff as that's the preferred scale for Japanese outline and with N track I can run British (and other outline) when the mood takes me. TT would be a third gauge to add to 16.5mm and 9mm. 

• Like 2

On 24/10/2023 at 10:32, andrewshimmin said:

I've equipped all my stock with magnetic couplers from TJ Modèles here in France. He offers a massive range of different length couplers. Thanks to the (final!) use of kinematic coupler mechanisms, my Mk1s and Pullmans are literally corridor connection to corridor connection on the straight. Not really any good if you want to shunt but I just have a running loop so they are great for my purposes. Also so much easier to uncouple by hand than the standard Hornby TT:120 coupler heads fitted to most TT stock. His coupler heads are much more discreet than the Hunt coupler heads and you can even paint the magnets and they still work in a long rake. Really, virtually invisible. I don't know if he ships abroad but I'm sure he could send as a letter so no customs issues.

I think there's a Continental manufacturer working on electrified magnetic couplers in N (absolutely no idea how they will work!) but could be worth keeping an eye on. The company is called Peho. I'm not sure if they're intended to just carry current, tho...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I love TT as a scale, that little bit more presence than N but still compact enough to represent scale length trains within a sensible space and do scenic modelling with a large vista. However, for me I'll stick with N for smaller stuff as that's the preferred scale for Japanese outline and with N track I can run British (and other outline) when the mood takes me. TT would be a third gauge to add to 16.5mm and 9mm. 

Totally agree. I've got a massive collection of N Continental European stock and a lot of HO locos for that added detail (tho N is catching up in some of the levels of detail and finesse but I think that's more of an excuse to increase prices because you really can't see it unless you get your nose right up to the model!). 

The draw of TT for me was that it gave me an excuse to get some UK outline (and I've always been quite fascinated by the scale and dabbled in it in the past but I'm not so keen on the mostly Eastern European offerings). Unfortunately I ended up discovering HOm runs on 12mm track and have amassed quite the collection despite the atrocious prices from the main manufacturer, Bemo. The shorter than UIC X/Z coaches and compact locos look great on TT track and you get the heft of HO. 

Has doubled the fun for me!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Michanglais said:

tho N is catching up in some of the levels of detail and finesse but I think that's more of an excuse to increase prices because you really can't see it unless you get your nose right up to the model!

<snipped>

Hi there,

What is your point here?  You acknowledge that there is extra detail - which obviously costs - then say it’s just an excuse to put prices up. 

Model railways appears to be booming in the UK right now in terms of numbers of manufacturers, range of products on offer, positive media exposure and attendances at shows. 

I put that down to the hobby finally shaking off the ‘toy town’ image with high end, quality models that customers can be proud to own. 

I’d argue the one way Hornby can guarantee failure in TT120 is by lowering quality to reduce costs. I’ve preordered a class 66 as I’m excited about this new scale but if what arrives is cheap railroad standard I’m out. 

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

12 hours ago, Michanglais said:

I'm not so keen on the mostly Eastern European offerings

Well, the vast majority is German... there *is* a decent supply of Czech/Slovak offerings, but not close to the variety of German outline stuff available (which, largely, I find boring). Hungarian and Polish subjects are pretty much an afterthought

• Informative/Useful 1

Just picking up on the coupler makers mentioned by @Michanglais if anyone is interested in importing from TJModèles I can confirm that Thomas does ship outside France. I have provided for Pého closecouplers in my Corail chassis 3D prints in N and their couplers are available from several retailers across mainland Europe who send to the UK.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 25/10/2023 at 22:08, jjb1970 said:

You're not tempted by 13mm gauge/1:87  to model Japanese 3'6"?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BachelorBoy said:

You're not tempted by 13mm gauge/1:87  to model Japanese 

TT gauge would indeed be ideal for Japanese 1/87 models. Unfortunately I am too lazy to scratch build and Japanese RTR (other than Shinkansen models) is made to 1/80 scale so converting to TT would still leave a scale/gauge discrepancy. It doesn't really bother me, there's an equivalent issue in N where non-shinkansen models are overstate but not by enough to correct the scale for track gauge.