Wilton Carr - North Eastern Railway Diorama

wilton_carr_1a.jpg

To set the scene a bit, here is a photo of the real Wilton Carr I took in 1995. It was modernised around 2001, so doesn't look like this anymore. At the time the NER enamel sign was still on display, though I believe it would originally have been on the railway side of the property. I remembered the well tended garden hedge, so have included something similar in the model, regardless of whether it would have had it when the railway was there.

I printed out the 6" to the mile OS Map dated 1910 scaled as close as I could get to 4mm. This map is available to view online from the National Library of Scotland. A direct link to view Wilton Carr is here:
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18.0&lat=54.22737&lon=-0.67352&layers=168&b=1

One thing I established fairly quickly was that the railway would run along the short width of the board, allowing more space for the land upon which the gatehouse takes.

As well as working out scales and angles of the road, railway and surroundings, the OS map has some incredible detail. The N.E.R. purchased enough land for the line to be double track should that ever be required in the future. As such, the single track was off centre to the boundaries. I haven't seen any photographs of Wilton Carr during railway days, which leaves some guess work in a lot of details. But looking at other crossings and the OS map, there would have been four level crossing gates, with the railway going through the northerly pair.

The OS map also indicates "SP" for a signal. Despite looking like something from the beginnings of the railway era, the Southern Division of N.E.R. used rotating board signals at crossings like Wilton Carr. They weren't short lived either, some were still around into the 1970's in the Hull area, so it's highly likely the Pickering to Seamer would have had them until closure in 1950. The signal involved a square red board with notched corners on top of a white post which would be rotated to face either the road or the railway depending on which way the gates were closed. Around half way down the post was a four aspect lamp, two aspects being green (blue) and two red. A photograph exists of Brompton Carr crossing in the early 1950's, a few miles further east and the rotating board signal can be clearly made out.

The OS map also has "P" in the back yard. My assumption is this indicates the pump for the nearby well which was about 30 or so yards to the east.

So in addition to the gatehouse, I now have four crossing gates and an interesting and unusual signal to make. More on the construction of these later!

Edited by thetalkinlens
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Great work with the gatehouse - looks very realistic and I personally think the brickwork is coming along nicely.  I was drawn to this thread because there’s just something about lone houses like this standing sentinel over the railway landscape.  Have you any ideas yet regarding a backscene?  I’m thinking big stormy sky might be just the ticket, remember driving through Lincolnshire a couple of years back after a heavy rain shower and seeing a house like this prominent among the fields next to a disused railway, grey and black storm clouds and just the hint of a rainbow….Thought  it would make an excellent model..

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Solo said:

Great work with the gatehouse - looks very realistic and I personally think the brickwork is coming along nicely.  I was drawn to this thread because there’s just something about lone houses like this standing sentinel over the railway landscape.  Have you any ideas yet regarding a backscene?  I’m thinking big stormy sky might be just the ticket, remember driving through Lincolnshire a couple of years back after a heavy rain shower and seeing a house like this prominent among the fields next to a disused railway, grey and black storm clouds and just the hint of a rainbow….Thought  it would make an excellent model..

Many thanks for your positive reply, I think there is an element of a lone gatehouse that has drawn me in to it too.

For the backscene, I'm not planning on putting anything permanently in place. Instead, I'm intending to create several boards that will be held in place in a temporary manner. This should allow for different weather conditions and to cover all four sides of the board, depending on which way it is being viewed from. I will probably experiment with prints of my own photos and painted. A moody rain shower is certainly something I'd like to try.

I'll probably also experiment with taking pictures outside with the real sky for a backdrop.

• Like 1

The N.E.R. rotating board signal I'm particularly pleased with how it has come out. It is all made from various sizes of Plastruct including the lamp, apart from the steps which are etched brass, taken from an MSE N.E.R. slotted signal kit. An NERA member who has one of these lamps in his garage kindly supplied it's dimensions, which helped with a bit more accuracy which the diagrams lacked.

As per the gatehouse and level crossing gates, I was able to source a diagram from the NERA via @Worsdell forever (thanks Paul), which again I redrew in Adobe Illustrator.

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3599-a.jpg

Edited by thetalkinlens
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A homemade backscene has arrived. A print from Photobox at 30" x 20" from a phone pic taken from the real location.

In this scene all is quiet, however the gates are against the lane, so perhaps something is due?

IMG_2185-web2.jpg

Edited by thetalkinlens
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 weeks later...
6 hours ago, micklner said:

What did you use for the Snowplough Works Plates please ?? I have three which need some.

Ah well, glad you asked! I painted the profile of the plate black first, then used the white lines from the transfer sheet in the kit to line the edges. The N.E.R. is from a Slaters P7 waterslide sheet and the 18 has come from another waterslide sheet from a Parkside kit. Its easier to see the plate on my workbench post: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/174961-thetalkinlens-north-eastern-railway-workbench/?do=findComment&comment=5054324

The plate should have "Snowplough" in the middle and "No." before the 18, but I didn't take it that far.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2