Fryers Lane v2.0

Mark Forrest

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Wouldn't you have been better making the building from ply/mdf to save warping and the faff of bracing?

Mike.

Possibly, however, cutting ply or MDF would require going outside in the cold and wet to cut the parts (no sun terrace here, unfortunately) and cutting the openings for doors and windows is much more time consuming.

I did think about simply cladding the foam board structure that I already had, but wasn't sure about how it would react to having multiple layers of brick embossed plastic glued to it.

Having seen the work that @2ManySpams is doing on his 7mm buildings, I thought I'd try following his method for this - so I can blame him if it all goes horribly wrong.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

Possibly, however, cutting ply or MDF would require going outside in the cold and wet to cut the parts (no sun terrace here, unfortunately)

You only have to bring a suitcase, tools and wood here!

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Wouldn't you have been better making the building from ply/mdf to save warping and the faff of bracing?

Mike.

In my bitter experience MDF isn't immune from hideous warping. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

In my bitter experience MDF isn't immune from hideous warping. 

Yes, I've seen perfectly flat cassettes made of MDF strip and aluminium angle taken on a banana shape over an exhibition weekend.  In that case, not so much it's tendency to warp, but the result of two different materials expanding at a different rate I think.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

Yes, I've seen perfectly flat cassettes made of MDF strip and aluminium angle taken on a banana shape over an exhibition weekend.  In that case, not so much it's tendency to warp, but the result of two different materials expanding at a different rate I think.

I remember the stormy sea that was the fiddle yards on BCB!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A bit more work on the POA wagon tonight.  Most of these had angled plates added (presumably to stop any debris dropped during loading/unloading getting stuck on the horizontal box sections.  The Cambrian kit lacks this feature.  The kit instructions (I do read them sometimes) suggest filing square strip to a triangle.  Being lazy, I used some 2mm half round Evergreen strip instead - with the flat face outwards 

IMG20240314202811.jpg.7d8a6f054f9d77edc0685be55e13d75f.jpg

After cutting and adding over 30  bits of Evergreen strip to this wagon (so far) the irony that I started this as a break from the repetitive task of gluing strips of plastic to the building carcass is not lost on me!

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

A bit more work on the POA wagon tonight.  Most of these had angled plates added (presumably to stop any debris dropped during loading/unloading getting stuck on the horizontal box sections.  The Cambrian kit lacks this feature.  The kit instructions (I do read them sometimes) suggest filing square strip to a triangle.  Being lazy, I used some 2mm half round Evergreen strip instead - with the flat face outwards 

IMG20240314202811.jpg.7d8a6f054f9d77edc0685be55e13d75f.jpg

After cutting and adding over 30  bits of Evergreen strip to this wagon (so far) the irony that I started this as a break from the repetitive task of gluing strips of plastic to the building carcass is not lost on me!

Oh, that looks like an incredibly thrilling job...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Oh, that looks like an incredibly thrilling job...

Says the bloke who's been carving blocks of stone longer than Michaelangelo.

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

How long is Michaelangelo?

Depends, do you mean the green one with a shell or the one conveniently laid on his back in the Sistine chapel so you can measure him!

Oh, and it's Michelangelo.

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Depends, do you mean the green one with a shell or the one conveniently laid on his back in the Sistine chapel so you can measure him!

Oh, and it's Michelangelo.

Mike.

I'd like you to measure the green one please Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Cowabunga.

IMG_20240317_193229.jpg.a4fe7eb8acba3cc3305776a8e5e95094.jpg

I've come down with a bit of man flu, which has left me temporarily intolerant of MEK fumes.  Soldering isn't a problem though, so I've focused on getting the POA on its wheels.  Bill Bedford pedestal suspension units, loosely fitted in place to establish ride height.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
On 18/03/2024 at 10:43, Mark Forrest said:

Cowabunga.

IMG_20240317_193229.jpg.a4fe7eb8acba3cc3305776a8e5e95094.jpg

I've come down with a bit of man flu, which has left me temporarily intolerant of MEK fumes.  Soldering isn't a problem though, so I've focused on getting the POA on its wheels.  Bill Bedford pedestal suspension units, loosely fitted in place to establish ride height.

Nice skip.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

A quick check to make sure it still fits how it's supposed to.

IMG_20240324_093649.jpg.3371353a96b0d588fb4ca8520bebcf45.jpg

It is (intentionally) very close to the hidden rear siding, there will be a wall that partly hides the VGA van and class 20 visible here.  I want to try to give the impression that the siding curves away from the building to a greater extent than the baseboard depth allows.

IMG_20240324_093919.jpg.812b66bbcdf0e9a648a25cab7826bdc0.jpg

There is a risk that this building with overpower the rest of the layout - I'm thinking something along the back scene will provide a bit of balance.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Another building session last night saw the carcass for the third section completed.

IMG20240324195729.jpg.b61ac4157205dd141564eb921dba9651.jpg

IMG20240324210418.jpg.66a81e4207ba24c7c5a56485e3ee10d6.jpg

IMG20240324220606.jpg.ede9e283e7cd7554f714e53e49590772.jpg

All was going well until I placed it on the layout - I'd forgotten to take into consideration the curve of the back scene. I'll need to cut the rear corner out of the building to accommodate this - should be relatively easy with this style of construction.

Further bracing to be added to floor and roof when I attach the three sections together.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Could you cut the backscene curve instead, just for the height of the building?

I did consider that.  I think chopping the building is the easier option - partly because I'm too lazy to move the stock off the layout to enable me to get the board down from its shelf to get access for cutting the back scene.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mark Forrest said:

I did consider that.  I think chopping the building is the easier option - partly because I'm too lazy to move the stock off the layout to enable me to get the board down from its shelf to get access for cutting the back scene.

I could help out with track saw, circular saw, chop saw or multitool. All getting much use at the moment rebuilding our stairs...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 24/03/2024 at 09:46, Mark Forrest said:

A quick check to make sure it still fits how it's supposed to.

IMG_20240324_093649.jpg.3371353a96b0d588fb4ca8520bebcf45.jpg

It is (intentionally) very close to the hidden rear siding, there will be a wall that partly hides the VGA van and class 20 visible here.  I want to try to give the impression that the siding curves away from the building to a greater extent than the baseboard depth allows.

IMG_20240324_093919.jpg.812b66bbcdf0e9a648a25cab7826bdc0.jpg

There is a risk that this building with overpower the rest of the layout - I'm thinking something along the back scene will provide a bit of balance.

I hope you don't mind me commenting re the building size.

I find that a lot of structures on layouts are too small to represent the industry they purport to be, I know that we need to compress to keep everything in check, but in reality some buildings that we don't really think are that big are huge when we are up close.

A couple of layouts ago I deliberately incorporated large structures into my layout, which were met with encouraging comments from those who seen the layout at exhibitions...

image.png.368e57cd167b3ea222daaafe5bcc40c3.png Photo copyright of Nigel Burkin

Rather than dominate the scene, I think it added an extra element (I had people asking if they can copy the idea which is very humbling).  The layout in the photo was 8ft by 2ft.

My current layout is 9ft by 15 inches and has a 5ft long building which hides the fiddle yard...

image.png.2683b009dd8ebd22ca13b3286be32721.png

Whilst this dominates the seen on that board, it doesn't dominate the entire layout, it conveys the bulk of the type of building it represents.

I think the size of building you are working on is just right, could even go a bit bigger without being too much

Keep up the good work!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1