INTERFIGO VAN

paul 27

This is a ferry interfrigo

NMBS 521737

The Airfix type is a UIC-ORE type 1 van its produced in HO and was strictly continental only. (like the one below) the ferry version is about 1/3rd longer

DB 534134 P INTERFRIGO

I'm away from my part converted van until Wednesday evening.

Jon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On 07/11/2022 at 13:37, Steamport Southport said:

It is H0. Based on an Italian design I believe.

But I don't think it looks out of place to be honest.  Sorry no pictures. I don't even know where mine are!

Jason

I have one, which sits unused in the unused-but-I-bought-it-and-built-it-so-I'm-not-going-to-bin-it box.  The intention was to include it in the daily train for 'Ogmore Processed Foods' which runsaround at Cwmdimbath so that it can shunt it's private siding off-scene, but as this train is composed of vans and containers on conflats, the differences of scale were far too glaring and obvious for my taste.  Shame, because it's a distinctive looker, and I would deffo buy a 1:76 RTR or kit.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

One wonders why Airfix chose to model a European prototype in HO. Unless it is ex-Kitmaster; they did make some European prototypes.

Interestingly, in N gauge, the size of the Fleischmann 8321 Interfrigo van is almost exactly the same as a U.K. prototype vehicle would be — in cross-section at any rate. But the difference between British N (1:148) and Continental N (1:160) is less than that between OO and HO.

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

One wonders why Airfix chose to model a European prototype in HO. Unless it is ex-Kitmaster; they did make some European prototypes.

Interestingly, in N gauge, the size of the Fleischmann 8321 Interfrigo van is almost exactly the same as a U.K. prototype vehicle would be — in cross-section at any rate. But the difference between British N (1:148) and Continental N (1:160) is less than that between OO and HO.

Always Airfix.

http://www.airfixrailways.co.uk/Refrig.htm

It's not far off the correct size for a van that worked in the UK, just the wrong prototype.

Which suggests to me they used the wrong drawings for what they wanted. It did happen, the Pug has a few errors that are on the drawings such as the buffers which ISTR only the first three had and not for very long.

This is what they probably should have made.

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/belgian4whvan/e34652821

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

6 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Always Airfix.

http://www.airfixrailways.co.uk/Refrig.htm

It's not far off the correct size for a van that worked in the UK, just the wrong prototype.

Which suggests to me they used the wrong drawings for what they wanted. It did happen, the Pug has a few errors that are on the drawings such as the buffers which ISTR only the first three had and not for very long.

This is what they probably should have made.

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/belgian4whvan/e34652821

Jason

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

I think that perhaps they were worried that such a long wagon might not run too well on 1960s trainset track; and therefore chose a shorter, non-ferry prototype.

CJI.

As cctransuk says, this was intentional rather than a mistake, not just for trainset curves but also it kept the kit at pocket money prices. Back in the 60s it was a lot more common and accepted for ordinary train sets to make use of H0 as well as 00 items.

• RMweb Gold

Back in the 60s when Airfix brought this kit out, RTR and RTP and plastic kits were marketed as ‘00/H0’, and this was clearly stated on the box.  Triang’s Transcontinental range was presumably H0 based, but most users ignored the difference and mixed the stock happily on their layouts.  The Airfix kit Interfrigo was a victim of this; presumably they had an eye on overseas sales like Hornby Acho, and the kit looked fine if you had a Jouef/Playcraft setup, probably the most realistic item on such a layout.  

I had one as a kid, I had all the Airfix railway series, we all did, pocket money affordable and great value, but mine never ran well because of it’s long wheelbase; I possibly did not pay sufficient attention to ensuring squareness and level in it’s construction and the wheels were carp.  It became a siding lurker, along with a mineral with open doors, but even as a siding lurker I was mostly oblivious to the scale differences in those days.  My awareness has improved a little since then. 

On 15/11/2022 at 16:01, The Johnster said:

Back in the 60s when Airfix brought this kit out, RTR and RTP and plastic kits were marketed as ‘00/H0’, and this was clearly stated on the box.  Triang’s Transcontinental range was presumably H0 based, but most users ignored the difference and mixed the stock happily on their layouts.  The Airfix kit Interfrigo was a victim of this; presumably they had an eye on overseas sales like Hornby Acho, and the kit looked fine if you had a Jouef/Playcraft setup, probably the most realistic item on such a layout.  

And isn't it funny how in Hornby's TT:120 world it has come full circle and you can now run (some) British stuff alongside that from the rest of the TT world.  I remember my dad (little Englander !!) moaning that everything should be 4mm rather than 3.5mm scale.  I seriously gave up trying to reason with him - but he did like those few Kitmaster kits which were 4mm scale - German class 23 2-6-2 tender engine, and a French 2-4-1P were two I remember, but I think there was also a Swiss Crocodile and an Italian engine.