Pictures of 16t minerals being unloaded.

SouthernBlue80s

3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Unloading methods clearly vary with era and location.

Unloading coal wagons at Kosamba Junction

Reminds me of my first trip to China : A wagon like that was being unloaded and the crew had got a bit further so were working inside - I lost sight of the yard briefly as I passed an advertising hoarding but as I got to a gap in the adverts I saw a shovel-full of coal shoot out from each door in perfect sync .............. didn't happen again while I was watching.

• Like 3

Progress so far. It's built as a vac brake version. I have downed tools for tonight

Parkside kit, kit bashed.

20221118_133221.jpg.0fd64d2ad03f7633f4ac398b80b05267.jpg

Basic paint on and transfers I had in my pile.

20221118_215258.jpg.2145a6ea001451059b02cd4d41424b93.jpg

First stage weathering.

20221118_223825.jpg.8caa7a0836ad5820c1889144fa31fe73.jpg

More weathering and coal needed. I might paint some old blast I have and see how that looks.

Need to find those coupling hooks and figures.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 13

53 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Erm .................. as a vac-braked wagon - er - why is it grey ? ☹️

Erm....weirdly the kit came in grey, not sure why they didn't do it in Bauxite. 

Note ......it's FIRST stage weathering.

Tip - you can use the grey effectively as an undercoat, if a wagon is heavily rusted, depending on what technique you are using.

Edited by SouthernBlue80s
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Shouldn't the white diagonal stripe (to indicate the end door) have ends at 45 degrees (like in the first picture in the thread) rather than at 90 degrees on the model?  Though presumably there might well have been many variations.

Looking at Paul Barttlets invaluable picture rescource they seem to have varied much like the wagons.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Often the inside of these wagons was generally much less heavily weathered than the outside, shifting loads, particularly when end-tipped, tending to "clean" the paintwork. The floor would, of course, have given hints of the last load (especially coal dust), and the junction of the sides and floor would show signs, often significant signs, of dark rust setting in.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

27 minutes ago, bécasse said:

Often the inside of these wagons was generally much less heavily weathered than the outside, shifting loads, particularly when end-tipped, tending to "clean" the paintwork. The floor would, of course, have given hints of the last load (especially coal dust), and the junction of the sides and floor would show signs, often significant signs, of dark rust setting in.

Thank you. I will bear that in mind I am going to get my coal dust weathering powder out next mainly for the inside.

I have just given the inside a general bauxite rust going over for the time being. Thanks again.

Edited by SouthernBlue80s

• RMweb Premium

I was at the GCR today and watched a Windcutter train if 16 ton minerals depart. I didn’t photo it as I’ve seen it many times but there is a display by the Windcutter group in the waiting room at Loughborough this weekend for the ‘Last Hurrah’ event.

The amount of distortion and bowing of the sides and ends on many wagons is noticeable. Generally from carrying ballast in their later BR or NCB years. This site shows examples. Easier to reproduce with etched brass or n/s bodies than with plastic, where heat and/or solvents can be used with care.

http://ukrailways1970tilltoday.me.uk/wagons_16t_mineral_wagon_gcr_page1.html

Also QW&W site & Rmweb weekly thread. 
https://quornwagonandwagon.co.uk/

Dava

• Informative/Useful 1

On 18/11/2022 at 10:28, Fat Controller said:

The grab tractor sounds to be one of the ones built on the 'back-to-front' Fordson Major; I can't remember the manufacturer's name. Wouldn't it be nice were Oxford to bring one out?

(Just did a quick bit of 'Googling'; the machines were known as 'Pelicans', and were built by a firm called Neal, later taken over by Coles)

I built one, or an approximation of one, in N scale using the Oxford tractor, based on memories of one in Bearsted goods yard in the 1980s (the yard was disused except for the coal merchant, deliveries by road). 

The grab is a bit undersized as I used some kit bits in the box which were roughly the right shape. The side frames were made using measurements from a side on photo of a derelict machine which were then scaled according to the dimensions of the model tractor. The boom is 'by eye'.

An etched brass kit would be nice to adapt the Oxford tractor, these were quite common vehicles and not just in the UK I believe.

IMG_20220712_142628_5.jpg.27156766c1752cc70d404f49d001e477.jpgIMG_20221005_163417.jpg.32c457ca3c10250462be394b536ac050.jpg

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Dava said:

I was at the GCR today and watched a Windcutter train if 16 ton minerals depart. I didn’t photo it as I’ve seen it many times but there is a display by the Windcutter group in the waiting room at Loughborough this weekend for the ‘Last Hurrah’ event.

The amount of distortion and bowing of the sides and ends on many wagons is noticeable. Generally from carrying ballast in their later BR or NCB years. This site shows examples. Easier to reproduce with etched brass or n/s bodies than with plastic, where heat and/or solvents can be used with care.

http://ukrailways1970tilltoday.me.uk/wagons_16t_mineral_wagon_gcr_page1.html

Also QW&W site & Rmweb weekly thread. 
https://quornwagonandwagon.co.uk/

Dava

Did try to heat up plastic wagon sides once to see if I could get a realistic effect. Failure on my part, it looked too crude on the OO wagon I tried. Perhaps I will experiment more. I saw someone had obtained that distorted bowed effect pretty well on plastic O gauge wagons at somepoint.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, bécasse said:

By less weathered I think you mean less rust patches rather than actually clean?

Photos of the insides are of course much rarer than outside (I think theres a thread, or within a thread, specifically discussing this somewhere) but all the ones I've been able to find, including the few on this thread showing open doors, have been almost black, with a hint of rusty tone.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2022 at 10:08, Bernard Lamb said:

That all sounds too much like hard work to me.

Just pick 'em up and give 'em a good shake.😀

Bernard

hemelite9.jpg.50e9f4f17a49030167f86d21275af64e.jpg

OK as long as it's an end door wagon and the right way round!

Elf n Safety would have an attack of the vapours.

Those cables looped around the wagon don't really look up to the job!

For figures there are the historic 'Mastermodels' sets of workmen. (eBay swapmeets etc., but avoid collectors' prices....

From what I recall of my visit to the inside of a wooden coal wagon, the inside was in the same tatty condition as the outside with coal dust around the joints between the floor and the sides/ends (as you'd expect).

I'll see if I can persuade my daughter to take the portraits of some of my efforts at mineral wagons and post them here.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

By less weathered I think you mean less rust patches rather than actually clean?

Photos of the insides are of course much rarer than outside (I think theres a thread, or within a thread, specifically discussing this somewhere) but all the ones I've been able to find, including the few on this thread showing open doors, have been almost black, with a hint of rusty tone.

Rust patches on the interior sides were relatively rare, when washed down (by rain when empty) they were typically an overall pale rust colour (almost pink), otherwise they tended to show obvious signs of their last load, coal dust for coal, stone dust for stone, for example. Where the sides met the floor, the acidic nature of coal loads meant that significant dark rust formed - as a line along the join rather than any patches, possibly spreading a little way across the floor. The most common body failure for 16 ton minerals was the floor dropping out as a result of this concentrated rusting.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1